Quartering away shots

moog5050

So my first shot this morning was a reasonably hard quartering away shot.   Not bad and the arrow hit where I intended but as I stood over the target I thought it could have been better.  

So I put two more shots in creeping forward each time.  Which is the shot you prefer (forward, middle, back)?  I realize they all kill deer.  

IMG_1014.PNG

IMG_1013.JPG

• Like 2

For the second photo -Middle first , back second. The back would most likely take out the liver and at least a lung, plus you would probably get a exit hole. Middle is the money shot though, both lungs would be done. 

Edited by rob-c

19 minutes ago, rob-c said:

For the second photo -Middle first , back second. The back would most likely take out the liver and at least a lung, plus you would probably get a exit hole. Middle is the money shot though, both lungs would be done. 

Exactly my thoughts.   

Tie - I would aim for the hair half way between middle and back.  The middle ups your odds of double lung but back ups your odds of a pass thru, and an easier to follow blood trail.   Aiming for the point that optimizes your odds of a successful recovery is always best.  

1 hour ago, rob-c said:

11 minutes ago, growalot said:

Great from the ground...are you practicing them from your stand height.....may  be surprised at the difference and from different distances...nice shooting

I don't practice from a stand Grow.  Ground and off my deck (about 5.5' tall).   Never had an issue.   I think I naturally bend from the waist so it's same poi.   Obviously I would aim higher for a low exit if the deer is close.  Then again most of our stands are only 12-14" to platform. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grampy said:

Nice shootin moog! 

I too, agree with rob-c , middle first.  That is a deadly shot. Almost perfect in fact. The quartering away shot is the one I always picture, when I  dream of that booner coming in to my set up!

I will take a broadside statue at 15-20yds every time.  Lol.  Hope the Booner cooperates with both of us!

• Like 1

I will also mention that I killed my regular season buck with the bow last year hard quartering away.  Entered about where my first shot was and exited neck.   A blind man could have followed the blood trail but it was not intentional to have it exit the neck.  Made more work for WNY bowhunter to mount.  Lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

If in a tree I'll go with furthest forward. That arrow has a very good chance of exiting and will get lungs and heart. If on the ground I'm going with furthest back because I want 2 holes. 200yds with good blood beats 75 with none any day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, with the recurve, middle is probably smartest so when I miss by a little, I am still good.  Lol.  

3 hours ago, moog5050 said:

I will also mention that I killed my regular season buck with the bow last year hard quartering away.  Entered about where my first shot was and exited neck.   A blind man could have followed the blood trail but it was not intentional to have it exit the neck.  Made more work for WNY bowhunter to mount.  Lol

Yes, the good ole Rage neck shot...lol.  Your deer wasn't the worst I saw last year. The other one needed a whole new cape thanks to a point blank finishing shot in the neck with a rage xtreme/xbow.

• Like 1