Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

1 minute ago, DanielT said:

She will live...
Now go shoot your bow to get confidence back up
It happens to all of us

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I agree if you think it was all the way forward and did not penetrate the brisket.

18 minutes ago, Hock3y24 said:

I just tracked her to confirm my fatty arrow and lack of blood, brisket hit. Not happy. 

any hair. I had a single lung on a bluck that passed through quartering towards. the arrow got cleaned on the way out and the exit plugged (guts).  he was dead just 200 yards away.

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Belo said:

any hair. I had a single lung on a bluck that passed through quartering towards. the arrow got cleaned on the way out and the exit plugged (guts).  he was dead just 200 yards away.

I agree with this as well if you think it was not all the way forward and definitely quartering slightly to, the chest cavity can tend to collect the blood on that wound.

Edited by OtiscoPaul

4 minutes ago, Hock3y24 said:

There blood, i tracked her, no bubbles, no squirting. Jumped her 100 yards later, checked her bed and saw same. Followed her anyway and there was not much blood at all.

How much room do you have to push?

I have heard tale of old timers pushing muscle and 1 lung hits to keep it flowing.

Let me also say I've tracked over a mile and I've never recovered one that got that far in fact they both showed up on cams later.

Edited by OtiscoPaul

Well, the good news is that there were no skeeters this morning (37 degrees) or yesterday morning (35 degrees). But temps are supposed to increase throughout the week. The bad news is that I have not seen any deer yet. But the season is young yet.

4 minutes ago, Hock3y24 said:

I’m close to a mile now and out of land to push. I also heard to push muscle and or 1 lung hits, but I don’t think I even caught lung and just muscle somehow. 

If you cannot gain permission I believe your sign points to a very marginal flesh wound.

Good initial patience and follow-up effort.  If you were not in the lung liver or guts that deer walks around normal this evening.

Edited by OtiscoPaul
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hock3y24 said:

There blood, i tracked her, no bubbles, no squirting. Jumped her 100 yards later, checked her bed and saw same. Followed her anyway and there was not much blood at all.

how long did you wait till she was jumped. I promise you lack of blood doesn't mean she's fine. if the exit is plugged it's all internal bleeding. You may very well be right, just saying you may want to head out tonight a do a little grid search before you call it a day. trail cameras around your spot might help to spot her alive and well too. make you feel better at least. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Papist said:

Somehow I managed to tweak my lower back in a horrible way. Had to turn back to the house on my way to stand last night and am laid up today. I had the day off too. Totally sucks.  Hope this passes soon

That sucks. Don't mind a tweaked back if is from dragging a deer,but I hate those nonspecific ones...

1 hour ago, Belo said:

how long did you wait till she was jumped. I promise you lack of blood doesn't mean she's fine. if the exit is plugged it's all internal bleeding. You may very well be right, just saying you may want to head out tonight a do a little grid search before you call it a day. trail cameras around your spot might help to spot her alive and well too. make you feel better at least. 

I'm with you on full effort but I know hock has harvested whitetail and trust his assessment.

He waited over 2 hrs and was able to inspect a jump bed and followed the trail to the end of his permitable search area.

It never hurts to come back with another set of eyes but if he is confident she escaped the property at full gate it is unlikely he will pick the trail back up on the property.

If he can gain access to continue the search that is another matter but that is not always as easy as it sounds.

I don't think dog search would show up for this track job on a normal busy hunting day.

Edited by OtiscoPaul

1 hour ago, BowmanMike said:

That sucks. Don't mind a tweaked back if is from dragging a deer,but I hate those nonspecific ones...

The crappy part is I have been working on core and back strength for months due to an old injury. It was working really well. I felt great. This time it was my 'good' side that gave out.  Grrrrr....

Been here before. I will be fine in a week or so, but I was planning on getting lots of hunting in this week.

Edited by Papist

2 minutes ago, Papist said:

The crappy part is I have been working on core and back strength for months due to an old injury. It was working really well. I felt great. This time it was my 'good' side that gave out.  Grrrrr....

Been here before. I will fine in a week or so, but I was planning on getting lots of hunting in this week.

Just curious .... but occasionally I have back problems ... what exercises do you do to help your back ?

50 minutes ago, Belo said:

I’m going to check with the neighbor when they get home from work if I can check, I have a general direction where she went. I marked last blood also.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Papist said:

Been here before. I will fine in a week or so, but I was planning on getting lots of hunting in this week.

Good you are trying to help your back with muscle support,but are you doing stretches too? Building muscle will make the whole area tighter,and without stretching you are risking another injury. I am a mason and not getting any younger,45. I started doing yoga after havung sciatica issues several years ago and have been fine since...

• Like 1

I had a single lung on a bluck that passed through quartering towards.
Belo.. Did that bluck have a rack and wings or just a bill and wings...did you quack him in or grunt him in...kolobok_wink.gif
Grow just got post of the week haha. I read it and started laughing out loud. My wife gave me weird looks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

• Haha 1