Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

2 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

ALL RISE! Leaving soon for a morning sit in 3S with the Mathews. Turning to the xbow in the afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aaron Judge reference, coming from a red Sox fan, I like it. Seriously tho go shoot something to make me jealous this am.

Rarely does anyone here talk about the wind. It is kind of important, isn’t it?

East wind today, hope you’re set up accordingly.  

NNW5mph for me. 40 degrees. 730am sunrise. 30.30 prezzzzzzure

5 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I'm a wind nut, just don't bring it up, u hunting out your way today?

• Like 1

Aaron Judge reference, coming from a red Sox fan, I like it. Seriously tho go shoot something to make me jealous this am.

Only if the buck is up to my standards, or a yote, bobcat, fox, or bear.

Getting dressed jmp5008 is gunna drive me to the back side of the property so I can slip in nice and quiet then he’s gunna come back to the house and sit the plot..... hope the plan comes together

I like to go to the back side and slip in nice and quiet .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

What a moon! 38 degrees here in 3S. My dad is in 3N for first day with xbow. I saw a few deer driving where I never see deer.

I’m predicting huge day of buck kills today’s for the forum members!

Well it’s the perfect morning to be out hunting and I’m stuck at home. Our house went on the market yesterday and we have 7 tours scheduled for today and an open house tomorrow. That means I’m doing last minute cleaning. Oh well. I’ll be out this afternoon. Good luck this morning all. 

• Like 4

Last sips of coffee going down. I have a 5 minute walk to this mornings stand by which a very large scrape opened up recently.

Gonna try an all dayer. Might have a quick stand move to enact later too based on more new scrape data. Scrapes are everywhere this year! Never saw anything like it.

Edited by Papist

46 minutes ago, zag said:

I'm a wind nut, just don't bring it up, u hunting out your way today?

I'm in Canadice.

I imbibed a little too much in the Good Stuff last night and am struggling right now.  It pains me as I know soooo much better but something about just being HERE gets me wonky.  The extra hour this morning (as opposed to tomorrow morning) is a help though. 

Edited by Lawdwaz

I'm SOOO jealous.  Bow season ended in VT yesterday, and I can't hunt again until next Saturday.  It's youth rifle this weekend.  I'm stuck doing a bunch of work to keep my customers happy (and make some $).  Good luck out there everyone.  

I finally saw a buck on its feet and now I can't hunt.  It'll be lockdown by the time the state lets us hunt again...

• Like 1

Sitting here still too dark to really see anything.
Then wooow smells like some one took a barn and opened the door right behind me. Over powering stench. Lasted about 10 mins and slowly faded away. Too dark too see what it was but I can guess......

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

Wind direction and the effects aren't discussed a lot because so few people really understand what causes it at various hunting locations. I always check both the TV and the computer for predicted wind directions, and seem to find that in my individual hunting locations the wind has a mind of its own. There are little subtle variations of topography in combination with developing thermals that finally steer the wind in several directions. When you get around deep ravines in hill country, you can often see results that look absolutely nothing like what is being predicted.

I would love to see a discussion here about wind direction (causes and effects), but I doubt that between all of us we have enough understanding to be very credible.

About the only thing I can offer is to repeat the value of milkweed seeds so that at least you can see what is happening with your scent. You probably will be shocked to see how there is no one wind direction.

• Like 2

What a moon! 38 degrees here in 3S. My dad is in 3N for first day with xbow. I saw a few deer driving where I never see deer.

I’m predicting huge day of buck kills today’s for the forum members!

Your mouth to gods ears. Might have to sit all day.

16 minutes ago, jmp5008 said:

Sitting here still too dark to really see anything.
Then wooow smells like some one took a barn and opened the door right behind me. Over powering stench. Lasted about 10 mins and slowly faded away. Too dark too see what it was but I can guess......

Check your shorts!