Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

39 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Feeling a bit sick to my stomach at the moment.  Maybe that is the reward.  

It's not your first rodeo so if you had any doubt of the shot and didn't take it "you knew better". Good on you man. Good mojo coming your way. I'm sure you'd be even more sick to your stomach had you taken the shot and lost him.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

Compound or recurve? Can't believe you let my first mount of the season walk off like that...lol.

That's the worst part.  I actually had the compound today because I have hit a slump with the recurve.  First time I took it out and had a 10yd chip shot with 82lbs.   If there is a bow to shoot quartering too, that's it.   Uggghhhhh.  My wife is trying to convince me its all good.  I must have an even bigger buck waiting this season.  Lol

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Hmm I was gonna say this time of year he should be localized around food. Not likely to be cruising long distance for love yet. Trust your first instinct and hope to get another crack!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could be wrong.   We have a 10 on cam there but he looked much bigger in person if it's the same buck.  Thinking not.   Then again haven't thought very clearly all morning.  

• Haha 1

Moog. From what I see your a great hunter... Trust your gut. Bigger or smaller, you will get one. Just try to not focus on him like he's the last buck on earth... You'll be alright !! Quartering too is never good, unless you have a gun. No bow/arrow combo is proven to blow through shoulders and you most likely would have hit one, or 2. Like somebody else said, you could be tracking a non fatal buck right now and THAT is alot worse feeling than passing a marginal shot.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Moog,I passed on a buck several years ago during archery that I was pissed at myself for doing that. But I was fortunate enough to take him during gun season. So you never know . At least you guys are hunting, haven't been out yet. Thinking of Halloween n the week after. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, moog5050 said:

I just won the STUPID award.   Had a solid 140" buck at 10yds quartering to and 3yds dead below me and never released an arrow.   I was drawn when he was below me and was very tempted.   He took off right after he passed me.  In hindsight I probably should have taken the quartering to shot.   It was a gift and I knew he was coming.  This one will haunt me for a long time I think.  

I was too cautious on this one for sure.  These opportunities don't come along that often.  

Not sure why I am posting other than to say take your first good shot.  Don't wait for the perfect shot. 

Your hunting buddy , Phade , will probably shoot him . :cheese:

5 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

Your hunting buddy , Phade , will probably shoot him . :cheese:

I truly hope either Phade or David get him.   He's a great buck and still running so who knows.  I had my chance.  Would love to see him on one of their walls.   Apparently this was not the one intended for me.  Boy was he majestic.    

My daughters comment was "well you did the right thing but we need some bacon burgers (her favorite use of venison)".   Haha.   Last thing I was thinking about.  

• Like 6