Any left over venison?

growalot

Holy crud we have way too much...Mr B's gout has us on chicken and the occasional pork diet...NOT EVEN FISH anymore!...As luck would have it, Our daughter just tendered her resignation from Ithica effective immediately last Tues.  I will be visiting her and taking a slew if venison with me...she is a whiz on the smoker and has some time on her hands... I suggested.... Well you know how expensive the jerky is your # 1 loves...what better way to save money...and how about those snack sticks and sausage.....She says I just bought a big turkey on sale to smoke bring down the venison I want smoked meatloaf...OK! how to clear a freezer...and maybe get back some goodies too:wink:

Though it won't last long AU found out and called to say she was unanimously voted onto the alumni board...4 head hunters called her before she was out Ithicas doors and shes had 3 phone interviews with another today...Taking meat down to her tomorrow to be on the safe side....

• Like 1

One loin roast, 2 lbs of ground and a package of stew meat left from the deer my dad got last year and we split. Gonna stuff the loin roast with roasted poblano peppers and provolone cheese, wrap with bacon and throw on the smoker for a BBQ we are hosting in a couple weeks. Probably whip up a batch of chili with the ground and stew meat if the weather ever cools down.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Core said:

I only got one deer and I still have some left. Maybe two roasts, some pepperoni (not much) and maybe three dozen sausages. If I get a deer early I'll crank through this fast to make way.

I've found roasts were usually the last to go until someone post a recipe on here about making them into pulled venison. Bottle of root beer, packet of French onion soup mix , bottle of bbq sauce, little garlic I recall    Throw in crockpot overnight and you've got pulled bbq in the morning  And actually had the roasts made into cube steaks for no additional cost last year.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I've found roasts were usually the last to go until someone post a recipe on here about making them into pulled venison. Bottle of root beer, packet of French onion soup mix , bottle of bbq sauce, little garlic I recall    Throw in crockpot overnight and you've got pulled bbq in the morning  And actually had the roasts made into cube steaks for no additional cost last year.

10 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

im not big on the roasts either.  Been just making them into steaks mostly.  Want to try corning one this year though.  Also like to cut them out about an inch thick into a flat steak and then cover them with bacon, celery, bbq sauce and roll them up and cook them - comes out great 

1 hour ago, growalot said:

I have a thing about making 2 different meals  so I haven't been using it...but I really need to make and freeze some venison meat balls and I do love my pulled venison sandwiches...so I think I'll get the crock pot out for the weekend...

Please feel free to share your meatball recipe... I have some ground left over....

I would but there isn't one...I don't usually cook by recipe unless baking...being is a science...I can say the ground venison, finely diced onion and peppers...lots of garlic...1-2 eggs depending on how many I make....seasoned bread crumbs and some oat meal, Worchester, BBQ sauce or perhaps a good creamy dressing,like roasted garlic...Italian seasonings. I make ping pong sized meat balls and I bake them 400 degrees on a cookie sheet with parchment paper

PS the real trick to it is grinding the meat in the food poccessor...I makes it taste like fine ground sirloin.

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1