New member, aspiring Hunter

jarellano119

Hello Forum members

Ive lived in Putnam county for approx 6 years, since then started getting more into sportsman activities ie. shooting sports and target bow. I am also a member of the local gun range when I can practice these skills. Im the avid hobbyist and quick learner. My main interest are Motorcycles, saltwater fishing, trapshooting, pistols and driveway mechanic for my family (Wife and 3 daughters).

I have several friends who have always say we're going hunting but never do. I hear there are some great spots near me but just dont feel comfortable enough to go out on my own, also I have no clue how to field dress any catch... figure cellular signal may be sketchy out in the woods to watch YouTube.

so as of late ive been tinkering with the idea of heading out and giving fall turkey a shot (corny pun i know)but just dont know where to start. I have most of the gear needed minus the camo. I had a hunting license at one point but let it expire.

all suggestions are welcomed.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Welcome! Great to have you join us!  moog5050 said it best, just read, google, and get out there! You'll learn something each time you venture out. As far as fall turkey hunting, there are some VERY good turkey hunters on this forum. Hope one or two will chime in with better advice than I could give you.  Best of luck to you! Come back often to check in with us!

welcome!  yup have to get a new license and then fall has birds flocked up.  find one find a bunch.  if there's a corn field or some other food source near public land that end of the public land might be better.  hophorn beam trees and others draw turkeys in.  http://www.nwtf.org/conservation/article/lesser-known-fall-turkey-foods
i'm a good a few hours from you.  not the closest.

Welcome aboard, great to have you.  Gutting is the easy part.  That is why so many point to videos, it really is not that hard and a good hunter can walk you though it on the phone.  Don't be afraid to hunt a new area it is part of exploring!!!  And sometimes that is the best part of hunting! 

Welcome to the forum, young feller  !

I agree that squirrel hunting would be a good intro....All you really have to do is find a food source like acorns or hickory nuts and sit and wait for the little critters to start stirring around..Lots of info on youtube telling you how to skin and dress them and lots ofrecipes on how to cook them... Good luck !!

21 hours ago, ApexerER said:

Jeez...10 views and nobody has said welcome yet...welcome to the forum. My suggestion would be get out in the woods and learn from you mistakes.

But bring a compass and know how to use it before venturing into the woods.

22 hours ago, jarellano119 said:

Hello Forum members

Ive lived in Putnam county for approx 6 years, since then started getting more into sportsman activities ie. shooting sports and target bow. I am also a member of the local gun range when I can practice these skills. Im the avid hobbyist and quick learner. My main interest are Motorcycles, saltwater fishing, trapshooting, pistols and driveway mechanic for my family (Wife and 3 daughters).

I have several friends who have always say we're going hunting but never do. I hear there are some great spots near me but just dont feel comfortable enough to go out on my own, also I have no clue how to field dress any catch... figure cellular signal may be sketchy out in the woods to watch YouTube.

so as of late ive been tinkering with the idea of heading out and giving fall turkey a shot (corny pun i know)but just dont know where to start. I have most of the gear needed minus the camo. I had a hunting license at one point but let it expire.

all suggestions are welcomed.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

First off welcome there are a lot guys here that will be able to offer some help. Youtube is great if you watch a quality video some people don't have a clue and make videos of doing stuff either wrong or more difficult. You should be able to draw your own conclusions from watching multiple videos. Sounds like you're on the right track with lots of practice shooting. The good news about the license is that they all expire after 1 year you just have to go Walmart or local license distributor and get a new one. Turkey hunting can be difficult be sure to wear some orange going to and from your hunting spot it will also be bow season for deer. I wouldn't wear it while sitting but in and out of the woods wouldn't be a bad idea. Get a good compass and learn how to use it especially if you don't know the area. Look up the hunting area on the DEC interactive site and look at the terrain to have some idea of boundaries and if you get turned around.

Field dressing turkey is fairly easy I prefer to skin them instead of plucking it is a lot easier and less feathers flying and sticking to everything not to mention no pin feathers to deal with.

Skinning turkey:

Plucking turkey:

Lots of good info on here just give it a search.