Snake Experts - what kind?

BizCT

So I find this 4 foot snake under my deck and get a shovel to kill it. Then realize it is already dead. Either it died naturally or something killed it. Any thoughts on the type? In 2.5 years living here this is only the 2nd snake I’ve seen. The first was tiny in the pool. Alsmot looks as if something bit it under the head.

32BC7727-7A6C-4840-A884-52C749C7458D.jpeg

9279FF95-4CED-42B1-868A-990D351BE610.jpeg

5B3E097D-7AA2-469E-9B1A-252D13B78665.jpeg

26729158-1F6A-4267-8A99-0BD146D7DC47.jpeg

i think that its a regular black snake.  he would get a pass he kills lots of other rodents if i'm right.  

if not cut him in half - see how fast they move and no arms or legs!!

im no expert

Edited by f3cbboy

6 minutes ago, f3cbboy said:

i think that its a regular black snake.  he would get a pass he kills lots of other rodents if i'm right.  

if not cut him in half - see how fast they move and no arms or legs!!

im no expert

He/she was already dead. Can’t tell if something bit it’s neck and killed it or bit it after it was alreay dead

11 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

leave snakes alone people they do you no harm and help kill rodents

To each there own and when they stay where they can do that all is well;     but when they scare the crap out of me they are going to die.

• Like 1

Wow who would have guessed so many great white hunters afraid of a little snake........lol. I take 3-5 snakes that size out of my basement every spring, most are milk snakes last one was 4ft long. Just grab them up cary them out to the field and let them go...

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, PREDATE said:

Yes my post was just a general post for those who say "kill it".

It seems like a possum or coon would have subsequently eaten it.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

So everyone agrees not a Copperhead?

The only poisonous (or dangerous) snake you might find naturally in NYS would be a Timber Rattler along the PA border, and even that's pretty rare. It's probably a Rat Snake or a Black Snake. Skunks, feral cats, and a few other critters will definitely kill them with a bite on the neck like that if the snake is big enough to threaten their territory.

1 hour ago, philoshop said:

The only poisonous (or dangerous) snake you might find naturally in NYS would be a Timber Rattler along the PA border, and even that's pretty rare. It's probably a Rat Snake or a Black Snake. Skunks, feral cats, and a few other critters will definitely kill them with a bite on the neck like that if the snake is big enough to threaten their territory.

There are confirmed copperheads in this area that’s why I asked. I’m in Westchester. 

2 hours ago, philoshop said:

pigmy rattle snakes are also in ny.... only two area in the whole state tho

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/96/Agkistrodon_contortrix_contortrix_CDC-a.png/195px-Agkistrodon_contortrix_contortrix_CDC-a.png&imgrefurl=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agkistrodon_contortrix&h=154&w=195&tbnid=F1Sd34aso5-uuM:&tbnh=154&tbnw=195&usg=__8XoGYrHSKSGW0ASHeq3hNUhm4OM=&vet=10ahUKEwiSnpvNxuDWAhWDPiYKHY9MCjEQ_B0IpAEwEw..i&docid=Fobzz4L9Kt5MaM&itg=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiSnpvNxuDWAhWDPiYKHY9MCjEQ_B0IpAEwEw

Not even close! Your picture is that of a black snake. They are a pretty docile tempered snake that dines on rats and mice. I have also heard it said that where there are black snakes, there are no rattlesnakes. I have not heard or read any credible evidence that here is really any truth to that, but it is just something I was told.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Doc said:

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/96/Agkistrodon_contortrix_contortrix_CDC-a.png/195px-Agkistrodon_contortrix_contortrix_CDC-a.png&imgrefurl=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agkistrodon_contortrix&h=154&w=195&tbnid=F1Sd34aso5-uuM:&tbnh=154&tbnw=195&usg=__8XoGYrHSKSGW0ASHeq3hNUhm4OM=&vet=10ahUKEwiSnpvNxuDWAhWDPiYKHY9MCjEQ_B0IpAEwEw..i&docid=Fobzz4L9Kt5MaM&itg=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiSnpvNxuDWAhWDPiYKHY9MCjEQ_B0IpAEwEw

Not even close! Your picture is that of a black snake. They are a pretty docile tempered snake that dines on rats and mice. I have also heard it said that where there are black snakes, there are no rattlesnakes. I have not heard or read any credible evidence that here is really any truth to that, but it is just something I was told.

That is an old wives' tale, Doc...

While it is true that black snakes are constrictors and will often dine on other snakes, including rattlesnakes,  they do not  specifically target rattlesnakes, or any other species..I have seen several blacksnakes in areas where timber rattlers are common.

I remember reading an account written by Archibald Rutledge involving  his witnessing a large blacksnake killing and eating a large canebrake rattler...Possibly  stories like that helped add to the folklore that  blacksnakes selectively prey on rattlesnakes.

Edited by Pygmy

Uh oh Biz, pretty sure that is the deadly coochamarango viper! Sometimes called "ol' two step", cause after being bitten, you usually expire after two steps. They are prolific breeders too! Can have up to 1000 young, twice a year. For some reason, they are found almost exclusively around dwellings with Weatherby rifles, Mathews bows and Red Sox memorabilia inside! Course, I googled all this info, so I may be wrong. But I'd be careful buddy!...........grin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1