Blood tracking tip

StevieSacs

Hey Guys,

So when I shot my Buck opening day this year and backed out for a few hours, I couldn't help by do my research on anything that could potentially give me an edge on following his spotty blood trail.

I read online that some guys will put Hydrogen Peroxide in a spray bottle and spray the area of grass/dirt  where they lost their blood trail.  Any blood that is present will bouble and turn bright white!  I tried it on my arrow and surprisingly it worked.   I ended up bringing a bottle with me and used it a few times when the blood trail got really thin.  It was unreal and definitely helped me recover my deer.  This may be common knowledge in the community, but figured it wouldn't hurt to share for a relatively new hunter like me

Thanks!

Steve 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, StevieSacs said:

Hey Guys,

So when I shot my Buck opening day this year and backed out for a few hours, I couldn't help by do my research on anything that could potentially give me an edge on following his spotty blood trail.

I read online that some guys will put Hydrogen Peroxide in a spray bottle and spray the area of grass/dirt  where they lost their blood trail.  Any blood that is present will bouble and turn bright white!  I tried it on my arrow and surprisingly it worked.   I ended up bringing a bottle with me and used it a few times when the blood trail got really thin.  It was unreal and definitely helped me recover my deer.  This may be common knowledge in the community, but figured it wouldn't hurt to share for a relatively new hunter like me

Thanks!

Steve 

I've heard of that, but never tried it. Same goes for those special green flashlights.

That is good to know, thanks for the tip.  I will throw a bottle in with the gear I am taking up to the northern zone tomorrow, for a crossbow/ML hunting trip.   I bought some "bloodglow" night-time tracking agent a few years ago, but that only works after the sun goes down.  All the deer I have shot since getting it (with crossbow, ML, shotgun, or rifle) have dropped dead in their tracks or close enough that I could see or hear them fall, so I have not got to try that stuff yet.   I will gladly take all the help I can get,  just in case  that does not happen the next time.   It would be nice to have something for the daylight hours, especially with the above normal temperatures that are predicted.  I already have a sprayer packed for the bloodglow, if needed.   The faster a carcass is gutted and put into the meat-locker, the tastier the venison.  It is all about the meat for me, and nothing bothers me more than loosing it to spoilage or coyotes.      

That said though, a slightly off-tasting carcass tastes better than none, so I will still wait for a time (depending on the hit location), prior to heading off in pursuit, even if I do have the HP (day) or BG (night).   It is a lot better to let the deer lay down and die in its first bed, rather than bump it off to who knows where by too early of a pursuit.   If I see them or hear them fall though, those guts are coming out ASAP.    

Edited by wolc123

been using peroxide for years, its WAY cheaper than all those "special" blood tracking sprays.

Dad has bought a few of those blood tracking lights, I don't remember the names I think one was a primos maybe? it had a split red and green lens......he wasted his money lol.  once we find the deer we go back and practice with all the other gadgets, like anything confidence is a huge factor, if you are not confident in what your using to search for blood you take a great chance of ruining the blood trail. 

4 hours ago, Hock3y24 said:

My advice, bring a woman and some kids, for some reason they can pick out a blood trail like its nothing. 

Dude your not kidding! my wife spotted my deer and helped me track my buck. She was amazing at following a blood trail.  It was raining out and she still found the trail with no problem.  It was when we were dragging it out of the woods together that I decided I was going to marry her lol and I did and we now have two beautiful children! 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

Kids are good at blood tracking for the same reason they are good at finding mushrooms. Their eyes are much closer to the ground!

Not a good enough reason to have kids in my opinion though...

Haha you aren't kinding about the mushrooms haven't had him try and follow a blood trail hopefully this year he can get a little practice. I found a bunch of puff balls on our property and I showed my son how to squish them and spread the pores now walking through the woods I have to wait for him he finds them everywhere when I never see them. He finds all kinds of mushrooms and I can never spot them. I really think it has to do with being closer to the ground. The blood and stuff has to look bigger being 2 feet closer to it.

• Like 1

I usually just use a flashlight that uses the blue light. Turns the blood Black under the light. I am color blind and even I can see the blood with the blue light on. With the flashlight I think a blind man can follow the bloodtrail! But I am definitely going to be bringing along a bottle of peroxide from now on for just that little extra bit of help on those especially tough tracks

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Magpies in NY ? 

I have heard Gray Jays, also know as Canada Jays, whiskey jacks and camp robbers, referred to as magpies..

Real magpies, the black and white ones with the long tailfeathers, are a western species...I have seen them in the west from Mexico all the way north to Alaska..They are a cool looking bird..I  have always thought one would make  an interesting and attractive mount..

I expect Biz will shoot one someday and have it mounted next to his porcupine...Hehehehe....

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

I usually just use a flashlight that uses the blue light. Turns the blood Black under the light. I am color blind and even I can see the blood with the blue light on. With the flashlight I think a blind man can follow the bloodtrail! But I am definitely going to be bringing along a bottle of peroxide from now on for just that little extra bit of help on those especially tough tracks

Really? I didn't know that man I have been missing out. I had only 1 hard track and was hit through the backstrap and lived but would have been nice to see where he went.

14 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I have heard Gray Jays, also know as Canada Jays, whiskey jacks and camp robbers, referred to as magpies..

Real magpies, the black and white ones with the long tailfeathers, are a western species...I have seen them in the west from Mexico all the way north to Alaska..They are a cool looking bird..I  have always thought one would make  an interesting and attractive mount..

I expect Biz will shoot one someday and have it mounted next to his porcupine...Hehehehe....

I don't shoot birds or waterfowl. That's for sissies! My only exception is red-tailed hawks, they taste good!

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Really? I didn't know that man I have been missing out. I had only 1 hard track and was hit through the backstrap and lived but would have been nice to see where he went.

I have two of these https://www.midwayusa.com/product/159199/browning-black-ice-flashlight-xenon-bulb-with-batteries-2-cr123a-aluminum-mossy-oak-shadow-grass-camo without a doubt they were the best flashlight ever. Sadly they discontinued them but if you find one I highly suggest buying it.

i've heard of it for a while.  i've never tried it.  i figured it might bubble up with things other than blood.  also i figured the trace of blood would be gone after it bubbled up.  i get right down on my hands and knees if i have to.  we've tracked some difficult ones.  good light is everything.  someone else mentioned the multi colored filter lights.  i had the primos blood tracker one.  didn't work worth a damn.  if light from both filters weren't on it right then it made the blood a different dark color and you couldn't see it.  i've got a Coleman LED flashlight with a nice white kelvin temp LEDs that throws lots of lumens.  blood pops into view and looks bright red.  the LEDs aren't too orange like an incandescent bulb and aren't more blue like many LED flashlights on the market.

Ive heard it works well! Never tried it yet though. If i remember and heard correctly, if you use it and still do not have any luck with recovering the animal. That a tracking dog will have a very hard time with the scents. Or even decline your call if the peroxide was used.. Damn memory.. lol  

2 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Ive heard it works well! Never tried it yet though. If i remember and heard correctly, if you use it and still do not have any luck with recovering the animal. That a tracking dog will have a very hard time with the scents. Or even decline your call if the peroxide was used.. Damn memory.. lol  

@outdoorstom this right?  surely your the man to verify.  great point LET EM GROW!