What's the best hunting knife?

thomashoard1909

$100 for a knife Id be using in the field? No way. Ive lost and abused too many of them for that. I use an inexpensive knife for field dressing and around the farm/yard duties. I keep it as sharp as I can and replace it after the edge is all nicked up or I leave it in a gut pile somewhere. I have a decent skinning knife and a great filet knife that I use for butchering.

BTW, if Im not planning to have a deer mounted, I split the sternum. Its alot better than hoping I dont slice my fingers open reaching up to cut the windpipe.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

$100 for a knife Id be using in the field? No way. Ive lost and abused too many of them for that. I use an inexpensive knife for field dressing and around the farm/yard duties. I keep it as sharp as I can and replace it after the edge is all nicked up or I leave it in a gut pile somewhere. I have a decent skinning knife and a great filet knife that I use for butchering.

BTW, if Im not planning to have a deer mounted, I split the sternum. Its alot better than hoping I dont slice my fingers open reaching up to cut the windpipe.

Same here. Cheap knife (Slingblade) and cut the sternum as far as I can

I use a k-bar 6 or 8 inch fixed with a gut hook orange handle that aunt had engraved with our names on it (all the hunters in the family perk of living in Olean with family at cutco) I put a really nice edge on it always but use a browning hatchet to split sternum and tail bone. Works great can be done in just a few min.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

While I can certainly could get by with just one knife from woods to freezer I prefer knives to suit the situation at hand. For field dressing deer I want fairly compact and light, my favorite for many years has been an old American made 2 blade "Western" folding pocket knife with  clip-toothpick type blades, I use the same blade style in a smaller version knives for small game that many may call a muskrat, skinned out many a coon in the woods with those and the bird hook style for birds in the field. They all have the same blade shape as a common denominator and I have have found it to be one of those blade designs that is about perfect for that type of work. There are plenty of makers and sources at fairly modest prices for those types and choosing a good USA made model you should not go wrong.

For butchering I have been using one of those reasonable priced and decent quality wise "Outdoor Edge" sets that do a very good job as long as they are kept sharp same as with any knife.

Al

Old Western Pocket Knife

imageproxy (2).jpg

Edited by airedale

1 hour ago, stoneam2006 said:

I use a k-bar 6 or 8 inch fixed with a gut hook orange handle that aunt had engraved with our names on it (all the hunters in the family perk of living in Olean with family at cutco) I put a really nice edge on it always but use a browning hatchet to split sternum and tail bone. Works great can be done in just a few min.

You should be able to use the knife to cut through the cartilage in the chest with that knife. I do it with my little 2 1/2" blade.

12 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

I bought 2 SOG seal pups to try, haven't shot a deer yet to try them. I used to use a gut hook but the guy I work with turned me onto the flip open razor knifes with the shingle blade. Usually last a season or 2 depending on how many deer you use it on.

9972_1.jpg

021258036-04-utility-knife-blades.jpg

"gut hook" - the solution to the problem that doesn't exist. lol

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

O I can for sure most of time I take it way further than I need to and it's only a quick push with the hatchet when I have it out when splitting tail bone

Yeah the pelvic bone I haven't attempted with a knife but the sternum is easy.

8 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

"gut hook" - the solution to the problem that doesn't exist. lol

True but makes it easy for the first timer. I don't usually use one more of a hassle trying to get all that stuff out instead of just using one knife.

15 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

I skin a bunch of different animals and I will say the guy hook has some uses....needed no convenient yes...IMO

I've always just placed my index finger at the tip with the blade and palm facing up and opens just like a zipper is installed. 

• Like 1

I've always just placed my index finger at the tip with the blade and palm facing up and opens just like a zipper is installed. 
Yes I use it for opining tails starting down the legs opening beaver up when skinning to put up fur. Don't think I've used it much to actually gut an animal lol

• Like 1