Acorns

knehrke

I've been waiting for them to start dropping and I'm beginning to think that the oaks are having an off year. I don't see many nuts in the lower branches, and I've looked from Letchworth to the lakeshore. What's the general consensus on the state of the crop this year?

I think it depends on the woods. im pretty sure Acorns are bi-annual for oaks, so one year the tree will be loaded . the next it may have a few, or none at all. Same with Wild apple trees, they expend all of their energy making fruits one year, they go dormant the next, and are full of apples the following year after the dormant one.

• Like 1

Tons of hickory and beechnuts this year in 8W.  Black walnuts too, but they seem to always produce well.  Acorns are all done dropping in my woods.. Hard to say if more or less than last year.  Deer sure aren't on them right now, but they weren't this time last year either. Still a lot of does in the hayfields at night, eating the new grass that's come up since the last cutting. 

Strange...we have property in 8A and where there's usually a good drop to hunt starting mid-October, there's been none this year. All red oak. And driving around Rochester with all the old oak trees hanging over the streets, I haven't seen any "road kill". Of course, there was none last year either, as the trees aborted early from the drought. Hickory are everywhere though. I guess it's dependent on the location within the location. Good to know it's not a widespread issue.

3S has a good crop this year depending upon where you are in the county. Some spots that produced last year are dormant and vice versa. Whites, reds and live oaks have already fallen and are pretty much done from what Ive seen. Also lots of beech and hickory too.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

6A is having a bumper crop this year. That isn't necessarily a good thing as it tends to suppress movement as deer don't need to search for food as much.

Red Oaks only bear every other year. Not all Red Oak trees in an given area aren't necessarily on the same schedule so you can have some acorns every year..

White Oaks, on the other hand, bear every year.