Crossbow consistency problems - need advice

Curmudgeon

This is the situation: I bought a Killer Instinct 350. It came with 3 bolts. I bought 6 Blood Sport bolts. All the bolts shoot well with field points. The Blood Sports shoot better than what came with the crossbow. The problem is broadheads. I bought Mussy broadheads. I was shooting with the dull blades Mussy provides with the Blood Sport bolts. The bolts - which had a 2" group at 30 yard with field points - all behaved differently. One bolt kept a 2 1/2" group. The next best 2 had groups in the 4-5" range. 3 of the 6 were beyond 5". 1 was at least 5" from the bull - a 10" group?

So, with field points I get good consistent groups. With the same bolts, I get a wide range of performance ranging from good (1 bolt) to bad. Any advice?

Its getting pretty close to the crossbow opener, not a ton of time to tune at this point. Im assuming your broadheads are the same weight as your field points. Id say give mechanicals a try and see what happens. Rage gives you a practice head with a pack, so you can use that to test it out.

I tested mine with the Rage practice head this weekend, and its hitting right with the field points. I am not using the factory arrows that came with mine either, I picked up Easton Bloodlines. The factory arrows will be used to fire into a target at the end of each hunt.

The thing I ran into with mine is that the BDC scope is setup for 100 grain heads and the slightly lighter factory arrows, so my heavier arrow/broadhead setup (125gr broadheads) start hitting a tad low at 40 and 50 yards. I just had to figure out how much I have to hold the little circle over at those ranges. Next year Ill be dumping the BDC scope in favor of a Mil-Dot scope, which is what Im used to using anyhow.

Oh I agree, theres a tuning issue or something else going on there. A properly tuned crossbow is just like a properly tuned vertical bow, field points and broadheads should all hit the same if everything is setup perfect. Hopefully though, mechanicals will cover the issue up enough and get him hunting.

I know nothing about crossbows but is it possible to pull the string back unevenly causing one limb to load more than the other.?   That and spine are the only 2 thinks that would come to mind but I have never shot let alone tuned a crossbow.  Like John said, mechanicals may cover the flaw. 

2 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I know nothing about crossbows but is it possible to pull the string back unevenly causing one limb to load more than the other.?   That and spine are the only 2 thinks that would come to mind but I have never shot let alone tuned a crossbow.  Like John said, mechanicals may cover the flaw. 

Only if he isnt using a drawing device. I have a string with handles and hooks on it that keeps the draw balanced. If you draw a crossbow unevenly, it will shoot all over the place and possibly damage the bow. I was kind of going off the assumption that he was using a draw device.

I have a ki360 hardcore edition! The ki bolts are fast and shoot great! I use muzzy 100 grain  4 blade . They shoot the best out to 40 yards 1inch to 1 1/2 groups. Rage crossbow broadhead just plan suck . Lost a doe last year after a 20 yard shot! I'm Guessing it never opened hit was perfect. Never found her. Rage just don't open with the fast crossbows 

I don't think how he is cocking the crossbow/lining up the string is the issue, since the OP said he was getting accuracy with field points. Sounds like the broadheads are the problem, and I agree mechanicals SHOULD solve the problem. Also, might want to look into smaller diameter fixed blades (like Slick Trick), only problem there is you then sacrifice cutting width for accuracy. Good luck!!

20 hours ago, Fredbear2 said:

I have a ki360 hardcore edition! The ki bolts are fast and shoot great! I use muzzy 100 grain  4 blade . They shoot the best out to 40 yards 1inch to 1 1/2 groups. Rage crossbow broadhead just plan suck . Lost a doe last year after a 20 yard shot! I'm Guessing it never opened hit was perfect. Never found her. Rage just don't open with the fast crossbows 

I use them on my compound, I have no issues killing deer with them. They are no different than the standard Rage X heads really. If you never found her, how can you say the shot was perfect?

• Like 2

Should have bought an Excalibur. My 150gr FP's fly exactly the same as my 150gr BH's. I wouldn't dare shoot at the same target inside of 40yds for fear of ruining an arrow. I only use Excalibur bolts and BH's. Maybe you should try other brands? what does "Killer Instinct" suggest? I honestly never even heard of that brand.

9 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Should look into them. Pretty nice cross bow line. 

I have no interest in a 2nd xbow. But their website should offer some sort of suggestions/ballistics on what arrow/BH combo's to use.

Check your Forward Of Center (FOC) on the arrow setup your using. Checked mine as I would with any arrow when I was having a similar situation. Changed to 125gr. crossbow muzzys, problem solved. Not enough front weight to get consistent flight from exposed blades. I really don't like covering up problems so I don't have issues when the chips are down. 

Search arrow FOC for instructions.

First, rarely will a BH shoot exactly where a field point will, compound or Xbow! Never say never, but definitely rarely.

NOT all mechanical BHs are adaptable for both compound & Xbow use. About 3X the stored energy is released when the trigger is pulled on a Xbow compared to a 60# compound. Buyer beware when buying mechanical BHs for a Xbow!

Obviously, to the OP's question... If field points are consistent and BHs are not, assuming both weigh the same - Got to be a BH issue. Not necessarily the rope cocking issue that's sometimes present.

FYI - Most sub-$500 Xbows are in that price range because mfging & performance criteria are ... less than ideal. Main place mfgers save cost is in the scope. They'll test (sight-in?) their Xbow/scope with specific bolts and field point wgts. Not many of these "cheapo" scopes will accommodate different bolt or BH wgt variations. May not be OP's problem, just a DYK fact when looking at entry level Xbow pkgs.

Edited by nyslowhand
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Try Slick Tricks, they shoot like field points (from my crossbow), and that is also their claim to fame. But make sure your shot is perfect, they don't have a whole lot of cutting diameter.

I haven't had problems with shooting mechanicals from my crossbow, including Rage. I have an older Horton, quite a few deer have died with this bow, not especially fast, so maybe that is why mechanicals function well? BUT, I have heard a LOT of people complain about Rage also, so there must be something there....

I CTRL-F the thread for "square", but didn't come up. Did you confirm the inserts are square on the arrows? I'm not sure how much it helps in practice but people seem to like it:

https://www.amazon.com/Pine-Ridge-Archery-Arrow-Inspector/dp/B000H4T68Q

I made one this week out of skateboard bearings and let me tell you I was shocked to see how crap many of my arrows were.