Predictions on first morning shot and how many..

growalot

That sounds about right, Chris...Especially if the rain holds off until daylight...

Actually, if I were betting man, I'd go with 630 to 6:40 ( due to overcast) and then maybe  8 or 10 more shots before legal shooting time...

Back in the shotgun days, before rifles were legal, I would double or triple those numbers...

10 minutes ago, growalot said:

I don't know how! I  Shoot open sights, a bead I paint with neon orange nail polish.. no way I could see that bead before good light...everyone must have light gathering scopes...LOL

With a simple 4X fixed Leupold, I could easily take safe shots 1/2 hour before and after NY  shooting times...In most states  where I have hunted, shooting time was 1/2 hour before published daylight and sometimes 1/2 hour after  and it was no problem getting a clear sight picture with a quality scope...Not night vision scopes either, just garden variety quality optics.

• Like 2

Yes , last year when this came up ..... I researched neighboring states, known popular deer hunting states , western states , I could not find one with NYS  sunrise to sunset laws .

Every . Single . One . Was half hour before and after . Which is what we have here , unofficially .

I bet that an easy 25 % and perhaps as many as 50% of deer taken here are outside legal hours , based on shots I hear .

8g and 9f here....heard no less than 125 shots today..some well after legal shooting and bet w dozen is a better number before legal here and the same number after. I agree with the sentiments that the actual sunrise sunset rules for big game are dumb....but NY gun hunter lawlessness is insane

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

33 minutes ago, growalot said:

I don't know how! I  Shoot open sights, a bead I paint with neon orange nail polish.. no way I could see that bead before good light...everyone must have light gathering scopes...LOL

4 minutes ago, gjs4 said:

8g and 9f here....heard no less than 125 shots today..some well after legal shooting and bet w dozen is a better number before legal here and the same number after. I agree with the sentiments that the actual sunrise sunset rules for big game are dumb....but NY gun hunter lawlessness is insane

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So what made you think those shots were being fired illegally ?

Lots of guys today were shooting their guns to make sure they are on zero...

I happened to be at a friend's house tonite and his nephew returned home from college , set up a target across the pond and  fired    3 " confidence" shots, just before dark...

out of the 125 shots you heard today, a few may have been illegal...There are some outlaws out there and always have been..But I'll bet the great majority of them were legitimate...

At five minutes to legal shooting time, it's been "light" out for at least fifteen minutes. Honestly, how many would "not" pull the trigger if a wallhanger was at fifty yards, broadside, looking the other way? Honestly, .............. I  know what I'd do.

• Like 6

Sorry I have passed..and more than once.. That timer doesn't buzz in my pocket I don't shoot...I only go out way early during gun to avoid being shot...

Ps.. having a slug whizz past my ear.hitting a branch infront of my face causing it to snap back hitting me as I watched the slug ricochet downward cutting a dog wood in half,20 mins. Before legal light as I sat in a 16 ft stand,showed me even that is false hope...

Edited by growalot

I’m with grampy on this one. I think that safe and ethical shooting light is a bit before sunrise. If I had a 150” in front of me at 5 minutes before, I know what I’m doing and feel I know what the vast majority would do as well.

Anyway, my predictor is 6:13 and I’ll hear 65 shots tomorrow before the downpour.

Edited by Zuke