Your opinion on this...

Grizz1219

I spend months prepping for deer season... start running camera's in June, blinds and stand set in August, lanes cut, etc all before Sept... Then the season comes and people just start using your stands/blinds.... Now I set up 12 sets for this one farm, I hunt only when the wind is best and never over hunt one stand... I have multiple pics of guys using my sets... I caught one guy in one blind this past bow season... Also, in his hurry to leave with me standing over him, he left his hunting license behind OR, he returned to the blind later on and dropped it.. I only found it when I pulled the blind Saturday... (I'm not hunting much during rifle, silly season, and black powder season I am in KY on a hunt).... I can return the license np, I found him on FB so I can message him to let him know and get it back to him if he hasn't already gotten a RP... But your thoughts in general on hunting other peoples sets... 

One reason I stopped hunting camp...I put in the best sets and in the best places...I had one particular set I told everyone ... no 4 wheeling to it and you have to enter from the road ONLY!..They were driving the 4 wheelers right to it and they were walking through the bedding area to get to it ...because it was shorter to walk...killed the stand...and it was a big wooden hang on I made...then I had a ladder stand and .they were all using it ...smoking cigarettes ect..ect... Not one of these guys would bring there own stands to camp to hunt. Then one left a message I needed to loosen my ladder stand because it was growing into the tree...I hope the tree ate the darn thing...

The kids and Mr B can use any set they want here at home...NO one else is allowed to hunt this property...

12 minutes ago, Grizz1219 said:

I spend months prepping for deer season... start running camera's in June, blinds and stand set in August, lanes cut, etc all before Sept... Then the season comes and people just start using your stands/blinds.... Now I set up 12 sets for this one farm, I hunt only when the wind is best and never over hunt one stand... I have multiple pics of guys using my sets... I caught one guy in one blind this past bow season... Also, in his hurry to leave with me standing over him, he left his hunting license behind OR, he returned to the blind later on and dropped it.. I only found it when I pulled the blind Saturday... (I'm not hunting much during rifle, silly season, and black powder season I am in KY on a hunt).... I can return the license np, I found him on FB so I can message him to let him know and get it back to him if he hasn't already gotten a RP... But your thoughts in general on hunting other peoples sets... 

I think having his information/license I would make contact with him.Trespassing is not the correct thing to be doing but it happens.I would talk meet with him and figure out how/what to do without law enforcement Could maybe make him/ask him to help with some needed chores/ watch on your prop while you are doing other work.I am sure an agreement can be met.Just my thought 

It depends really. On the farms I hunt, theres a group of us that hunt together. We have all put various stands in. We all put work in on plots, mowing, trails, trimming, etc and we all share our stands with each other. We do, however, make sure that we arent stepping on each others toes, we arent over hunting spots, we communicate about who is sitting where and when. I do not sit in other peoples stands that are outside of our "crew", and we expect that noone else is sitting in ours. It doesnt always work out perfectly, and there have been times when we have had disagreements about stuff, but nothing really bad.

Trespassers are a completely different story. They get one warning, then the landowner and farm manager are involved, after that the law is involved.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Trespassers are a completely different story. They get one warning, then the landowner and farm manager are involved, after that the law is involved.

So I get one free warning.  Good to know.   Which stand are you using on Thanksgiving exactly?

If this is trespassing vs. you both have permission on the property, I would be pretty upset.  If its the latter, I would still be annoyed but let him know that you put in your time and efforts in setting up YOUR STANDS and don't expect him to use your stands/blinds without your prior permission period.

• Like 4

I'm sure if I asked he would have told me he had permission to be on the farm... I don't own it... sorry if I gave that impression... I live 2 hours from the farm, so I hunt weekends mostly till vacations.. He is a local from what I am gathering from his FB profile... just really throws me for a loop when people act like I am a guide... they ruin my spots I spend all that time on... I leave sets because my wife and I hunt the farm and we aren't spring chickens.. She's 60 I'm 53... I can't keep popping up two stands every time we hunt... Just frustrating and I am venting to on line "friends".... 

Sounds like you need to have a chat with the owner of the farm and ask them if anyone else had permission to be hunting. If no one but you had permission , post on face book to this guy that after he left in such a hurry after being caught trespassing that  you found his license and he can come pick it up... 

The farm is in Chaos right now.. original owner passed away... kids don't want it... it's a free for all on that place right now.. just frustrating.. I know everything changes... just sucks when it changes for the bad... Thanks for letting me whine... The guy answered my FB message I sent him, he got a replacement...  

3 hours ago, moog5050 said:

So I get one free warning.  Good to know.   Which stand are you using on Thanksgiving exactly?

If this is trespassing vs. you both have permission on the property, I would be pretty upset.  If its the latter, I would still be annoyed but let him know that you put in your time and efforts in setting up YOUR STANDS and don't expect him to use your stands/blinds without your prior permission period.

One free warning where they are told to leave. If they shoot something or damage anything on the property, no warning, they deal with DEC.

Ill be in one of the stands on one of the properties, or I may be still hunting, or a combo of the two. You never know where Ill pop up next lol.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

One free warning where they are told to leave. If they shoot something or damage anything on the property, no warning, they deal with DEC.

Ill be in one of the stands on one of the properties, or I may be still hunting, or a combo of the two. You never know where Ill pop up next lol.

Well that certainly sounds less inviting John.  Rethinking my plans ....

3 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

lol - thanks.  I don't want your property to be devoid of deer.  I seem to have that effect this year.  Maybe my scent free soap went bad!

I have a couple of buddys down there that think they are made of deer repellent sometimes lol.

You arent using that new Dead Down Wind stuff with the cedar type smell in it are you? I picked some up by mistake this year and used it once. I got busted by every deer that came down wind of me. Went back to the regular stuff and havent been winded (to my knowledge) since.

4 hours ago, Grizz1219 said:

The farm is in Chaos right now.. original owner passed away... kids don't want it... it's a free for all on that place right now.. just frustrating.. I know everything changes... just sucks when it changes for the bad... Thanks for letting me whine... The guy answered my FB message I sent him, he got a replacement...  

Sounds like it’s time to find a new farm to hunt. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grizz1219 said:

The farm is in Chaos right now.. original owner passed away... kids don't want it... it's a free for all on that place right now.. just frustrating

I would be pulling up my pants and leaving that party and looking for somewhere else to hunt.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Grizz1219 said:

You are describing a situation that maybe you should be thinking about in a bit of a proactive way. I know it's easier to say than to actually do, but I would be actively looking for other, more stable hunting land. It sounds like it could be sold out from under you at any time. That's not much of a recommendation for the problem you were asking about, but maybe just something to be thinking about in addition to whatever solution you finally come up with regarding those that think you are scouting and erecting stands for their convenience.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Doc said:

You are describing a situation that maybe you should be thinking about in a bit of a proactive way. I know it's easier to say than to actually do, but I would be actively looking for other, more stable hunting land. It sounds like it could be sold out from under you at any time. That's not much of a recommendation for the problem you were asking about, but maybe just something to be thinking about in addition to whatever solution you finally come up with regarding those that think you are scouting and erecting stands for their convenience.

Told the wife... Can't look now.. think it is rude to ask for permission during the season... But this winter we are looking for new land out further into NY... figure less out of staters to bug land owners and hopefully, in the zones 7F & 7H I'll get better deer hunting... Thanks for the honestly Doc, Steve D and rob-c... Always appreciate it... Anyone out in those area's know any good places to start please let me know.. ;-)

Edited by Grizz1219