Moon this weekend

Renegade Hunter

32 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

i think weather is a bigger factor.  Never been a moon guy.  

I agree but I do think the moon has at least a small push. Like yesterday the moon rose late in the afternoon and I saw deer in fields all over. When I shot my 9 point this year, the moon was overhead at 6:57 am. I shot him in the earlier half of October, at 7:57 using a rattle bag. Might have been a coincidence. Might have been the moon. I have no idea. But it has me thinking. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, eagle rider said:

moon is a killer.  Hunted a productive stand yesterday from 2 to dark...... One tail went up across the road in a field when I was driving out at 5:30.  

Etch it in stone

Just don’t tell the people that shot deer yesterday........

so who had luck this weekend? I think im starting to agree with those that said a full moon limits daytime movement. Two days in a row myself and a friend of mine sat a soy bean field that you are almost guaranteed to see AT LEAST a doe in day light hours, given the right weather conditions. However, neither of us saw anything, and there was fresh tracks all over the field, so my assumption is they were coming out after dark, with much better visibility in the field due to the SUPER MOON. That's my input at least.

I saw 2 deer friday night but no shots. no deer saturday or sunday morning. However I blame pressure and other circumstances more than the moon. 

I also believe there is no "kiss of death" or "guaranteed kill" when it comes to moons, seasons, times and weather. You can only kill them if you're out there.

• Like 2

On 12/4/2017 at 6:56 AM, Iluvracks1359 said:

so who had luck this weekend? I think im starting to agree with those that said a full moon limits daytime movement. Two days in a row myself and a friend of mine sat a soy bean field that you are almost guaranteed to see AT LEAST a doe in day light hours, given the right weather conditions. However, neither of us saw anything, and there was fresh tracks all over the field, so my assumption is they were coming out after dark, with much better visibility in the field due to the SUPER MOON. That's my input at least.

There was no hunting pressure in the area I hunted. Saturday I had 8 doe/fawns out in the corn at 4:10pm. Sunday am I had a big mature 6 point grunting and sticking tight to a doe at 7:30am and the same does out in the field at the end of the day. A friend hunting a mile away saw 2 bucks and does up and moving at 3 in the afternoon on his 80 acres.

With clear skies and a full moon like we had I think they move more at night and tend to lay low during the day, but there is always some movement and with a limited number of days to hunt each fall, I can't see why anyone would stay home on a full moon weekend. Looking at the 'live in the woods' thread, I see some nice deer were taken.