Dutchess County Poacher

BizCT

1 hour ago, Water Rat said:

I live in Poughkeepsie.

I have a bird feeder going year round in my back yard.

I've had 10 pointers in my back yard too.

I've even hung a couple of trail cameras to catch the action.

Have I ever hunted in my back yard ?    No.

Will I ?  No.

Have I ever been tempted ?  You bet your ass. 

But to me it wouldn't be hunting. 

Should he be ticketed ?  Sure....I think a $1000.00 fine would remove the temptation for the next time. For him to lose lifetime hunting privileges would be way too extreme.

The guy who dropped a dime better watch his back.

Will a fine be enough to stop from doing again not sure myself.Would I shoot a deer out of off of my back porch/lawn yup.And I am most happy that some one had called/reported even if it were only a doe doing wrong doesn't make it any different.Would I report my own family or friend yes I would.

9 minutes ago, Dom said:

Will a fine be enough to stop from doing again not sure myself.Would I shoot a deer out of off of my back porch/lawn yup.And I am most happy that some one had called/reported even if it were only a doe doing wrong doesn't make it any different.Would I report my own family or friend yes I would.

I live in Dutchess, about 200 yds to my east is a DEC officers home; the guy that lives 400 yds to my west on the exact same road shot robo deer 2 nights in a row on a stake out on one of the few pieces of state land.

Poachers don't care and the fines are not stiff enough.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

I live in Dutchess, about 200 yds to my east is a DEC officers home; the guy that lives 400 yds to my west on the exact same road shot robo deer 2 nights in a row on a stake out on one of the few pieces of state land.

Poachers do not care infact most are going to do it again wether the are hunters or just shooting for the hell of it.If indeed this person had a hunting license it should be revoked for life and all hunting impliments should have been taken.will this stop a poacher no but will have to think about what happened

Hunting in the TOWN of Poughkeepsie? Was the feeder more than 500 feet from the houses? Was the feeder in the middle of the woods? WTF?

Didn't say how he shot it, bow or gun. The officer could add illegal discharge within town limit if gun.

Edited by bkln

54 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

Not to make light but anyone stupid enough to shoot robo deer 2 nights in a row should be getting some kind of special help.   Never mind poaching, I suspect this guy has bigger problems. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Not to make light but anyone stupid enough to shoot robo deer 2 nights in a row should be getting some kind of special help.   Never mind poaching, I suspect this guy has bigger problems. 

You'll note the special name designation I use for my location.^_^

My particular geographic area is noted for such antics.:drinks:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dinsdale said:

That is absurd.  A five figure fine and revocation of driver license until paid should get their attention.

I hate to admit this on a public forum, but I used to hang a sewit feeder in my tower stand ( roofed with knee walls ) back at my old house. Used to love having the chickadees and such come visit while i hunted. I'd have to chuckle at he encon if I was to get ticketed for that....

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

That is absurd.  A five figure fine and revocation of driver license until paid should get their attention.

You have actually struck at the core of the issue;

This is a Judge issue.

The laws are there, but the prosecutors and judges simply don't see simple game law violations as serious crimes; unless injuries are involved.

3 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I assume named after this particular individual.  That really is pretty hilarious, sad but hilarious. 

Oh....Just one among many; and that is a bit sad, but REALLY entertaining. Almost 30 years worth of hilarity.

I watched one have a fight with himself in the wee' ours once while his car burned to the frame in front of my place. 911 operator asked me to go and check on him and as I could see he was just meandering around in the highway by the light of the flickering flames, I politely declined; having to settle an argument with a drunk with himself, not my ides of fun:rofl:

2 hours ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

How do we know it was dark ? Said he was getting ready to go hunt that morning , I often hunt after I get out of work at 8:00 AM . Many here say 10-2 is the best time , no ?

Cause it was one of the infractions that he admitted to cause hes a fool.....

19 minutes ago, JaredA WNY8G said:

Glad he was caught. Nothing in that story whatsoever sounded like a fair chase kill.

Every youtube video i see of baiters no matter what state and their deer population problem makes me so mad!! Like probably an unhealthy level of mad!

This is something that probably most people will not  like to here but if you outlaw the use of tree stand hunting and ground blinds   you will eliminate most  people from trying to bait deer .

If you looking for " fair chase" 

If your looking for just  meat different story .

Just a thought I'm having while reading this. ( Sorry for long post)
I have a tree stand that is under 25 yards from 2 natural apple trees. My FIL planted several varieties of apple trees several years ago that are low fenced in about another 30 yards past that.
This coming year we plan to put in a few 80 to 100 foot strips of some sort of food plot to keep deer coming to the area near the small orchard in the field. Many of the shows on TV call it " farming for wildlife". Couldn't this be considered baiting or is it termed " attracting" and what is the difference.

I'm not planting food plots to eat from, I want to attract deer. Wouldn't this be a form of baiting? And it doesn't matter if you are in a tree stand or on the ground in a pop up blind or natural blind or even just standing behind a tree trying not to be seen, you are still there to try and attract and kill wildlife. You stack the odds in your favor to get sightings in. So pouring out some corn or apples by your stand is wrong, but hunting over a "kill food plot" is totally acceptable or near apple trees or an orchard. Or the stand on the edge of the corn field that the deer hit every evening.

Some people jumped all over the guy who put liquid attractant on a stump all summer and then hunted over it. It's not much different than planting a food plot, except for being quicker and both are geared at attracting wildlife in order to kill them.

I know right from wrong and am familiar with the laws but this whole " baiting" debate seems to always be a gray area and causes some dissention among the ranks. Just curious to hear others opinions on food plots, hunting by corn fields, or an orchard, and why those aren't considered baiting as well.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zem18 said:

Just a thought I'm having while reading this. ( Sorry for long post)
I have a tree stand that is under 25 yards from 2 natural apple trees. My FIL planted several varieties of apple trees several years ago that are low fenced in about another 30 yards past that.
This coming year we plan to put in a few 80 to 100 foot strips of some sort of food plot to keep deer coming to the area near the small orchard in the field. Many of the shows on TV call it " farming for wildlife". Couldn't this be considered baiting or is it termed " attracting" and what is the difference.

I'm not planting food plots to eat from, I want to attract deer. Wouldn't this be a form of baiting? And it doesn't matter if you are in a tree stand or on the ground in a pop up blind or natural blind or even just standing behind a tree trying not to be seen, you are still there to try and attract and kill wildlife. You stack the odds in your favor to get sightings in. So pouring out some corn or apples by your stand is wrong, but hunting over a "kill food plot" is totally acceptable or near apple trees or an orchard. Or the stand on the edge of the corn field that the deer hit every evening.

Some people jumped all over the guy who put liquid attractant on a stump all summer and then hunted over it. It's not much different than planting a food plot, except for being quicker and both are geared at attracting wildlife in order to kill them.

I know right from wrong and am familiar with the laws but this whole " baiting" debate seems to always be a gray area and causes some dissention among the ranks. Just curious to hear others opinions on food plots, hunting by corn fields, or an orchard, and why those aren't considered baiting as well.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I think the difference is what the bait is if you are using something that is much more attractive to deer then what is naturally found in its  natural environment  it  definitely  is baiting and definitely not ethical for example using salt lick . But just 

Someone planting trees or plants that deer like is not baiting because those are things that are found natraully in the deers environment there's no such thing as a Salt Lick tree know what I'm saying.

Edited by Storm914
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Dom said:

Poachers do not care infact most are going to do it again wether the are hunters or just shooting for the hell of it.If indeed this person had a hunting license it should be revoked for life and all hunting impliments should have been taken.will this stop a poacher no but will have to think about what happened

So now we are going to confiscate firearms for less than the required Felony. We will use misdemeanors and violations (which these were) to void a Constitutional freedom? To put this in perspective, basically you are calling for a removal of a Constitutional Right for a speeding ticket or running a stop sign. 

• Like 1