Beginner ice fishing

rabbithunter

don't forget ice...lol.  Been an issue some years. 

You really need to clarify what your target species is. It will make a difference in whats needed. Some stuff will be the same other won't. 

For instance if you said you were only going after northern Pike and would be fishing big water, I probably wouldn't recommend a 6" auger.  But if you were solely going for pan fish I might.  I don't like drilling any more ice then necessary. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 2

The right boots and clothes are a must.  On a good year I go out on the ice 40 times.  I wear Baffin boots, and have a bib/jacket combo that is insulated, wind proof and floats.  Being comfortable makes the whole thing alot more enjoyable.  Ice creepers can be a life saver.  Yak trax, Ice Trekkers or some other means of traction can prevent a serious fall.

Beyond that, it's a matter of what you're after, and what your goals are.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rabbithunter said:

. Obviously I need an arguer

If you need an arguer my wife would be perfect :rolleyes:

As far as an auger, I used to dabble in ice fishing   Never had an auger, I'd chop and chisel out someone's old hole hoping they were in a good spot.  And don't drop the little jigging rod down the hole. Not that I ever did that:pleasantry:

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I would suggest finding somebody to show you the ropes, or at least go to a local bait/tackle shop for help getting set up.  

If that isn't a possibility, you can get everything you need online at Fish USA.  My favorite jigging rod & reel is less than $20 all set up.  I like Ice Blue rods because they're cheap and sensitive. Add a $1 jig and some kind of wax worm and you can catch almost anything.  If you go the tipup route, I swear by Polar tipups because they're smooth and reliable. 

Be safe out there! 

Edited by stubborn1VT
typo
  • Like 2

Dont wipe your nose with the same hand you bait your hooks with.:bad: spikes leave an awful stink on your hand.

pay attention to the bait rules. you might need to keep your receipt for minnows to fish inland lakes. an insulated bucket will help the water in your bait bucket not to freeze.

• Like 1

Getting out of the wind, and/or doing it only on calm days makes it a lot better.   A jigging rapala with a minnow head on the center hook works great for bass.  On public waters, you will want to check the reg's to see if they are legal to target where you are.  On private ponds, that is not an issue.  That said, warm-water fish like bass, pike, walleye, and perch are not all that fun thru the ice.  They loose most of their strength in the cold.   If you can find water with trout in it, they seem to get even stronger.  A big laker will really pull thru the ice.   The minnow tipped jigging rapala works good for them also.  Again, check the local regs for what you can target and when on public waters.    I also like the Polar tip-ups, baited with a live minnow for warm-water species, but I do a lot better on trout with a hand line and a minnow head tipped jigging rapala.  If you use a whole minnow on it, it is less effective because it cuts down on the scent and reduces the action.   

Dont wipe your nose with the same hand you bait your hooks with.default_bad.gif spikes leave an awful stink on your hand.
pay attention to the bait rules. you might need to keep your receipt for minnows to fish inland lakes. an insulated bucket will help the water in your bait bucket not to freeze.

Or an Engel bait cooler! Works great all year fishing. Its what I swear by

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Hit craigslist first ! You never know what guys are getting rid of these days .... as far as fishing / hunting stuff that is !
Better off testing the waters so to speak with used equipment. That way if you wind up hating it you didn't drop a ton in the process

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Go out on some local spots where you see some ice fishing going on. Walk around and see what they are doing and using. Ask questions too! I've talked to many newbies out on the ice over the years. Always offered my stuff to use and how to do it. And would usually give something away. If you will be around the Albany area, shoot me a pm. I've got everything needed for a day on the ice. You will be good to go on your own after that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Icefishing  at it's most basic level  is  a very simple and inexpensive sport to get started  in..

All you need is a jigging rod, a few  ice jigs, something to cut a hole with and a skimmer to keep the hole clean, plus a tube of  spikes or waxworms or mousie grubs for bait....Go to a lake or pond that has bluegills, crappies or perch  and watch what the other guys are doing...Keep your bait within a foot or two the bottom...You may not fill a bucket, but you'll probably catch enough fish for a meal...Visit with other fishermen...Ice fishermen are generally a friendly bunch and will share info..  

From there you may decide to invest in more gear, like portable shelters, fish finders, etc....But you can also fish with the very most basic the rest of your life and still have fun and catch enough fish  to keep you fed...

One tip.....Light line, small jigs and small baits usually work best for  ice fishing...Those panfish are not nearly as aggressive in cold water as they are in the summer....However, the flesh is firmer when they are taken from cold water...In my opinion, few fish are as succulent as panfish taken through the ice..

• Like 3

some good advice given so far and some I will repeat and also add some new points.

good boots are a must with removable creepers - also one of those foam floor pads is a great thing to take along to rest your feet on.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS  Safety FIRST !! If your not experienced being on the ice go with someone who IS experienced. Ice fishing is a lot of fun but can also be one of the most dangerous forms of fishing. its not summer and the water isn't 70* the survival time is nill compared to going in in July.

there are some videos out there on "self rescue" if you go through the ice, watch them and study what those folks do and the tools they carry to aid getting out.  Get a set of retractable ice picks and carry them where they are accessible at all times, carry a throw rope, wear a life jacket if you do not want to pay for a flotation suit ( but they are worth the $ hands down) 

Pay attention to your surroundings, most of the ice fishing we do is around seasonal properties, when walking out pick landmarks, note where you see a small boat, canoe or even a ladder propped against a cottage, all things that will be an aid if someone goes through in helping get them out.  The strongest point in aiding in a rescue I can make is IF you are the person doing the rescue do NOT get so close to the person that they can get a hold of you, the most dangerous rescue you can attempt is a water rescue! A person that feels as if they are going to drown will literally drown you to stay alive, do not let them get their hands on you as you will likely end up in the water.

it will take time to learn how to read the ice, you need to know the body of water, where are the springs, creeks, dock bubblers,  known current flows etc.  all will take time to learn.

As far as the gear goes, really a couple jigging rods with open face reels spooled with 2,3,4 lb. test some small ice fishing jigs in a multitude of colors,  chartruse, green, white, glow and non glow seem to be the popular colors. of course as others said match your gear to your targeted species.

auger size dependent on  targeted spcies5" hole will be most vesatile.

targeted species through the ice  are #1 being perch/panfish , 2'nd pike, 3rd walleye

bait can be spikes, mousies, minnows (yes you need a receipt) and perch eyes.

good luck, have fun and most of all be safe.

• Like 1

As long as we are talking about safety, I think the best  $10-15 you can spend is on a set of Ice survival picks. Worn around neck or around your chest in some fashion they provide the ability to pull yourself up on the ice is you go though in most cases. There is literally nothing to grip to without something like this.  Ponds and small lakes may seem like the best and safest place to start but I offer this word of caution.  be careful around inlets, outlets, springs and hard features (like dock posts and trees). Ice can be much thinner than the ice in the rest of the water. 

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 4:56 PM, rabbithunter said:

I’m looking to get into ice fishing and was looking for some info or tips

Town of Bolton
Warren County
Rescue and Recovery:
On Dec. 16 at approximately 4 p.m., Forest Ranger Evan Donegan responded to a call from Warren County 911 reporting two people had fallen through the ice on Edgecomb Pond in the town of Bolton. The Bolton Fire Department was just getting one subject into the ambulance for treatment when Ranger Donegan arrived. He quickly donned a cold water rescue suit and assisted the Warren County dive team to shuttle equipment across the pond to where the underwater search was initiated. Approximately 50 minutes after the subject had submerged, a diver located the man's body in approximately 12 feet of water. The subject was brought to shore in a sled by Ranger Donegan and Bolton Ambulance. The body was released to the county coroner and the State Police are continuing their investigation.

DEC reminds ice anglers to use caution and commonsense as ice fishing season begins across much of New York State. Four inches or more of solid ice is considered to be safe for anglers accessing ice on foot. Ice anglers should note that ice thickness can vary on every body of water and even on the same body of water. For more information on ice fishing, visit DEC's webpage.

Get a spud!! And use it as a spud and not a walking stick. Ice thickness can vary greatly on any body of water. Last weekend my brother and I were fishing on 4 inches of nice clear ice. We were moving around a little drilling holes, and I walked ten feet further and hit with my spud. I almost lost my spud through the ice because it was only about an inch and a half thick. That's why you always spud your way around.