New Rechargeable Drill Recommendations

moog5050

So my old drill finally kicked the bucket.  I wanted a drill that was of good quality, 2 batteries and good battery life.  Ordered the DeWalt 791D2 based on good reviews on Amazon (several hundred) but since ordering have a seen a few reviews where the chuck is releasing the bit due to the brake.  Anyone have this particular drill or have a recommendation for one?  I can return the DeWalt if I missed something better.  18-20v mainly to be used for non-commercial DIY stuff but I prefer to buy reasonably good quality within reason.

My wife bought me that exact drill at Lowes. It is perfect for every day stuff around the house, I did have a bit drop out a time or two, but just figured I didn't have it cranked down hard enough. Not an issue as far as I am concerned, It's a good drill.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

I seem to have accumulated more than a few Dewalt products over the years including 18 and 20 volt cordless.....

No issues with them for me.

I'd say add the impact driver for screws, keep the drill for holes and you'll beat it up less.

Thanks Dinsdale.  I don't really use it enough to warrant 2 tools.  I assume the drill driver is a bit more versatile and should be plenty for whatever screws I need.

3 minutes ago, FatBoyD said:

My wife bought me that exact drill at Lowes. It is perfect for every day stuff around the house, I did have a bit drop out a time or two, but just figured I didn't have it cranked down hard enough. Not an issue as far as I am concerned, It's a good drill.

I guess the claim is that it brakes so hard that it actually causes the chuck to loosen.  But it is usually after 8-10 starts and stops.  I don't expect that to be an issue for me, but if someone said its a huge pain, I might reconsider.  My Dewalt compound miter saw and impact gun have held up great so I like the brand.

I don't believe that happened in my case. I'm trying to think back, but I honestly think I was simply in a hurry and did not crank it down. I have done some extensive projects with it, both drilling in wood and metal, and driving 3 1/2" screws and that was not a problem. You'll be happy with it I'm sure.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FatBoyD said:

I don't believe that happened in my case. I'm trying to think back, but I honestly think I was simply in a hurry and did not crank it down. 

Thats happened a few times for me too with all different kinds of cordless brands and some months I drive thousands of screws, drilling pilot holes.

Operator error in my case.:rolleyes:

31 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Rigid! Lifetime warranty on everything including batteries! I've had the Samson for 3 years now and it get abused regularly including using it in an ice auger and haven't had a problem. I'm using it today on an 8" auger. 871f79ba2011564db5e67620a64f92e9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have to say, that is impressive!

I have enough dewalt drills to fill up 3 crews of guys working. They all are junk!!!

i switch to All ridgid and they are the best!! Battery life is the good  and lifetime warranty on batteries , no more buying another drill just to get the battery. Loaded the guys with them and no complaints.. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sodfather said:

I have enough dewalt drills to fill up 3 crews of guys working. They all are junk!!!

i switch to All ridgid and they are the best!! Battery life is the good  and lifetime warranty on batteries , no more buying another drill just to get the battery. Loaded the guys with them and no complaints.. 

The battery warranty is impressive.  Now you and buckmaster have me reconsidering.  ugghh

2 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

The battery warranty is impressive.  Now you and buckmaster have me reconsidering.  ugghh

Trust me I have more dewalt that I know what to do with. I probably have 6 drills 2 saws and so on. Anything from 12v to 18v lithium they are good for a homeowner but not for everyday use in my option but at the same or competitive price 

I'm also a dewalt convert, in my opinion they are not comparable rigid hands down. If you need the absolute most power the Milwaukee are the winner but for a good tool that has the best warranty rigid wins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk