New Rechargeable Drill Recommendations

moog5050

4 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I'm also a dewalt convert, in my opinion they are not comparable rigid hands down. If you need the absolute most power the Milwaukee are the winner but for a good tool that has the best warranty rigid wins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The question is whether I will put the effort in to repack and return the dewalt for the extra battery warranty.  My cheap hitachi lasted 10 years.  We shall see but it sounds like good advice.

The question is whether I will put the effort in to repack and return the dewalt for the extra battery warranty.  My cheap hitachi lasted 10 years.  We shall see but it sounds like good advice.

Realistically for the average homeowner they are all way better than they were 10yrs ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

So my old drill finally kicked the bucket.  I wanted a drill that was of good quality, 2 batteries and good battery life.  Ordered the DeWalt 791D2 based on good reviews on Amazon (several hundred) but since ordering have a seen a few reviews where the chuck is releasing the bit due to the brake.  Anyone have this particular drill or have a recommendation for one?  I can return the DeWalt if I missed something better.  18-20v mainly to be used for non-commercial DIY stuff but I prefer to buy reasonably good quality within reason.

Yup we have one here at work and it does it. If you have a good grip usually isn't too much of a problem when you tighten it down. If I bought new it would be Milwaukee, I have the porter cable and abuse them. The dril lasts about 2 years until the gearbox is shot. I drill 1/2" holes through steel more often than I probably should with it and it does a number on the plastic gear box. Usually strips out the gears. I have the hammer drill and they get old and slower but keep on ticking. Whatever you get make sure you get the larger mA batteries no matter what brand. My porter cable can only drive about 60 3" screws before it needs to be charged with the standard battery. The drill lasts depending on the size of the bit. The 1 1/4" speed bit kills it after 20 holes but I can get 100 1/4" holes.

Edited by chas0218

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

Now you guys are just trying to make things difficult.  lol  I guess its like asking which compound bow is best!  We all know its X, Y and Z.

No need to ask...We all know it is :

mathews.png  :taunt:

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 2

Go with rigid and dont look back. Also the orange is cool

You Can't Beat My Meat!!!

4 minutes ago, BigVal said:

Very reasonable to ignore Toyota Moog. But you left out dodge. 

That's another one, but really it falls behind the Suzuki which is the third brand I meant.  Anyone remember those mint Suzuki samuri?   Now that was a fine piece of machinery, only exceeded by the Yugo and then Dodge pick ups. 

9 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

That's another one, but really it falls behind the Suzuki which is the third brand I meant.  Anyone remember those mint Suzuki samuri?   Now that was a fine piece of machinery, only exceeded by the Yugo and then Dodge pick ups. 

SMH lol I won't derail the thread to support dodge(I only truly like the powerplants anyway)... I will say rigid drills are nice, used to love DeWalt still do but rigid has the great warranty. 

4 minutes ago, BigVal said:

SMH lol I won't derail the thread to support dodge(I only truly like the powerplants anyway)... I will say rigid drills are nice, used to love DeWalt still do but rigid has the great warranty. 

No worries on derailing.  I enjoy it.  I did own a dodge once and sold it after 35k miles.  But the first few weeks were trouble free.  lol

• Like 3

I have used Dewalt with good results, I have used Milwaukee with good results only rigid I ever used wasn't a power tool so I cant speak for that one. I bought a cheap Kobalt drill that I am more than pleased with for a cheaper end drill. I have also driven Fords...alright......chevy suck.....Doing just fine with Dodge.

• Like 1