What is this

Chef

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

They are really popping up in NYS , i decided to watch some videos on youtube to see what they're all about ,turns out they are nasty little buggers. 

No video, but imagine you're out night hunting yotes, walking to your stand and all of a sudden the Predator starts screaming like a effin banshee on fire while jumping right overhead among the pine trees.  And it's moving so fast you can't see it, only hear the blood curdling shreiks and branches crashing right overhead.

That's a fisher.

• Like 3

They just started showing up in this area of the state as well over the past few years.

I thought for sure that black bear were going to be the next critter to call this region home in any countable numbers, but the fishers seem to be getting more established in a shorter time, while the bears continue to just occasionally pass through.

Just another indicator of how the forest and it's residents are constantly changing, and Mother Nature always finds a way to keep things balanced by introducing different creatures where they will serve an important role that we may not even be aware of yet.

I'm actually excited to see them finally show up, and looking forward to some encounters and learning more from/about them.

All just my personal opinion of course.

They could turn out to be the biggest PITA of an animal we never hoped to see here, but until then, I find them fascinating! :)

• Like 3

It's interesting that even though the fox was pretty much being bested by the fisher, toward the end when the fisher backed off, it was the fox that aggressively pursued the fisher. That doesn't show a whole lot of intelligence on the fox's part, but he sure does have a lot of heart.....lol.

13 minutes ago, Doc said:

It's interesting that even though the fox was pretty much being bested by the fisher, toward the end when the fisher backed off, it was the fox that aggressively pursued the fisher. That doesn't show a whole lot of intelligence on the fox's part, but he sure does have a lot of heart.....lol.

I've often thought grey fox were much nastier than reds   Not a whole bunch of greys around WNY but when trapping as a kid those few greys I did catch were always little pizzers compared to the reds. Maybe it has something to do with greys more similar to cats and reds to dogs  Don't know