Power outage from northeaster 24 hours no power no heat

Hunter007

4 hours ago, reeltime said:

no matter what route anyone takes for hooking up generator power you have got to make sure that there is NO way you are backfeeding the street. There have been numerous occurrences of someone jury rigging a generator hook up and back feeding the street power lines.  One of the ones I remember was the ice storm in CT. where 2 fireman were electrocuted when they were walking up to a house fire, the back feeding generator was a block away. I have seen some unbelievable wiring jobs from utube amateur electricians. 

just a general safety statement, if you do not know what you are doing have an electrician do the installation.  also remember that some appliances do not handle generator power very well, without getting into a lengthy explanation to sum it up generator power is dirty current and some appliances, tvs, fridge/feezer compressors can be damaged.

I would get a electrician to install that.

In the mean time 

Just bought  another  Portable Solar Charger Waterproof Mobile Power Bank 20000mAh External Backup Battery Dual USB 5V 1A/2A Output With LED Flashlight and Compass For Phones 

Should come come in handy for. Back woods hunting  or  any other blackouts we may have.

Edited by Storm914
  • Haha 1

Wait till you have kids.....the wife will bitching she has to pack them up and head to a hotel....not easy to entertain a whole family in a hotel room for multiple days on end!
You will buckle my friend....easy to talk now while it's just the two of you to worry about.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I’m strong willed and will not get one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, silent death said:

Those of us in green county can see another 24 inches of snow great 

Same here in the hilltowns of Albany County. Another almost two feet coming, on top of the almost 30 inches we got on Friday. Still not as bad as the Tug Hill folks. But such is winter in upstate NY. This is the trade off for those beautiful summer breezes, we enjoy so much. And the perfect deer hunting weather, come late October, early November. 

Sigh..........guess I'll go gas up the snow removal equipment. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Odds are what happened won’t happen again for a long long time so I’ll take my chances!

Odds are now that you said it, you’ll probably lose it again this week. I hope not though. 

We lost power for a week after Sandy. Luckily I had a small generator handy. Enough to get my well pump going, hot water, a fridge, and a few lights. Heat and water are my 2 biggest concerns. I have too much invested in my house to start bursting pipes. And there’s nothing like using your own toilet and shower, so I need my well pump working. 

Hope everyone gets through round 2 ok. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, grampy said:

Same here in the hilltowns of Albany County. Another almost two feet coming, on top of the almost 30 inches we got on Friday. Still not as bad as the Tug Hill folks. But such is winter in upstate NY. This is the trade off for those beautiful summer breezes, we enjoy so much. And the perfect deer hunting weather, come late October, early November. 

Sigh..........guess I'll go gas up the snow removal equipment. 

I think we get as much snow here as we got when i lived in East berne ...the difference is the state actually does pretty good plowing the roads here...I can remember the only way to get around was bye snowmobile or a horse lol on those back roads 

Edited by silent death

38 minutes ago, silent death said:

I think we get as much snow here as we got when i lived in East berne ...the difference is the state actually does pretty good plowing the roads here...I can remember the only way to get around was bye snowmobile or a horse lol on those back roads 

38 minutes ago, silent death said:

My stompin grounds! Where in East Berne were you? We grew up on Suto Rd, right above the park.

Many still get to the Mobil by snowmobile when the snow gets deep!

Edited by grampy

4 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I was joking about the shower. I’m definitely not thinking about a generator. My neighbors all said they bought ones after Sandy and this was the first time they used it. All that money could be spent on other things. Odds are what happened won’t happen again for a long long time so I’ll take my chances!

Yep that is the way i see it I may get a portable one but only because I may want to use it for other things like camping or running welding equipment power tools Etc. away from the house .

Just having one dedicated to your house for blackouts  seems a waste .

They happen around here  only every few years.

Edited by Storm914
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, grampy said:

My stompin grounds! Where in East Berne were you? We grew up on Suto Rd, right above the park.

Many still get to the Mobil by snowmobile when the snow gets deep!

Ravine rd ...it was nice cause partridge run is right there but the roads sucked in the winter I can remember pheasants walking along the sides of the road 

Edited by silent death
  • Like 1

in this area power outages don't last very long. few days at most. we get hours long outages often though for some reason. i feel for those in the towns really getting beaten down with the snow. anything i get i'm more or less ready for. generac with automatic transfer switch runs almost the whole house, save some lights and recepts in bedrooms and basement. all utilties, garage, whole living room, and whole kitchen is powered up. i've got enough propane to last quite a long time. i've got enough food to last the year. if shit hits the fan, no worries, i'll see you in the summer.  oh yea snowmobile is ready to rip too.

Good luck folks that are in the blast zone again. I just got a call my snowblower was fixed so gotta pick it up in the morning. We arent supposed to get it as bad this time. But looks like many of you are.  First day of spring is two weeks away

Edited by Robhuntandfish

Got sent on a last minute trip to the grocery store to get a couple things for my daughter's birthday dinner.  Sweet Baby Jesus, you'd think the end was near!  

Yup even the citidiots in nyc has Whole Foods lines out the door the last 2 days

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

You are here

Home » Products & Programs » GenerLink™ Emergency Transfer Switch

GenerLink™ Emergency Transfer Switch

GenerLink Logo

GenerLink™ emergency transfer switches will allow members to connect a 9500 watt or less portable generator to their home during power outages. These switches are five-inch devices that are in-stalled, by DCEC, behind your existing 200 amp meter base and come with a 20 foot cord. When you connect a portable generator to GenerLink™ and start it up it automatically disconnects your house from the electric utility grid preventing the possibility of back feed, which can damage equipment and harm DCEC line and right-of-way personnel. Each switch also has an internal warranty surge protection for household appliances.

generlink_3-300x225.jpg

The member cost for the devices will be $760 plus a $100 installation charge. The GenerLink™ switches are now available to purchase at the Cooperative. Please note that not all generators are compatible with these devices. For more information please call the DCEC office at (607) 746-2341.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silent death said:

Ravine rd ...it was nice cause partridge run is right there but the roads sucked in the winter I can remember pheasants walking along the sides of the road 

Know it well. I've hunted the Mottchman farm, at the bottom of Rivine Rd. many times. Some real nice bucks roaming those woods. And have killed a couple real nice ones in PR over the years too. Beautiful area.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Congrats! And now here comes 18” of snow and 40mph winds

I know right lol.  Thanks! I actually plow roads for a township.   So its sort of a double edge sword.   I plow from the start of the storm until its over, then it takes us a good 4-6 hrs after the last snowflakes fall to clean up, to where we can go home.  I then have an hour commute to my 300ft driveway that I snowblow.  Not complaining, or looking for a oh wow you have it rough,  because I dont.  I am just saying,  I really dread snow, but love the paycheck on Friday.  I am just so thankful the powers back on, my girlfriend is here for the storm again, and I taught her how to start/stop the generator,  refuel it, and so forth.  I was worried she woukd have to be here in the dark for 2 days dealing with the refueling, and hooking up the fridge,  and pellet stove.  Point is, there is A LOT off my plate, and hers now.  We live an hour from both our parents, in a mountainous area, and don't really have neighbors, havent even met them.  So she's alone.  Kind of a relief rant xd. Good luck Biz, we are expecting 12-24" here, hope you keep power, fortunately light wind for us up here.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Bionic said:

I know right lol.  Thanks! I actually plow roads for a township.   So its sort of a double edge sword.   I plow from the start of the storm until its over, then it takes us a good 4-6 hrs after the last snowflakes fall to clean up, to where we can go home.  I then have an hour commute to my 300ft driveway that I snowblow.  Not complaining, or looking for a oh wow you have it rough,  because I dont.  I am just saying,  I really dread snow, but love the paycheck on Friday.  I am just so thankful the powers back on, my girlfriend is here for the storm again, and I taught her how to start/stop the generator,  refuel it, and so forth.  I was worried she woukd have to be here in the dark for 2 days dealing with the refueling, and hooking up the fridge,  and pellet stove.  Point is, there is A LOT off my plate, and hers now.  We live an hour from both our parents, in a mountainous area, and don't really have neighbors, havent even met them.  So she's alone.  Kind of a relief rant xd. Good luck Biz, we are expecting 12-24" here, hope you keep power, fortunately light wind for us up here.

Wait, you're the dude with a ............(hold on, I need the correct term.....) prosthetic arm?

Good Lord, amazing what you can accomplish!  Good man............:drinks:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Wait, you're the dude with a ............(hold on, I need the correct term.....) prosthetic arm?

Good Lord, amazing what you can accomplish!  Good man............:drinks:

Lol, yeah im the guy with the fake arm xD  No egg shells here to walk on pal, haha.  Thanks,  you gotta do what ya gotta do, make the money when it's there to be made.

That reminds me....i'm offended lol.  Just like the rest of the sissy world.  

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 7

We had no power from Friday at 630pm until Tuesday at 500pm.I have no generator so we just camped out oil lamps flash lights and a gas/propane stove water was no issue I always fill the bathtub for cleaning and flushing the toilet.

• Like 1