Off to Canada, Eh ?

Pygmy

Ontario gobbler season opens Wednesdy April 25th...

I'll be driving up Monday for my annual hunt...The plan as usual is to hunt April 26-30, then drive home  the afternoon of the 30th so I can hunt the opener here in NY..

My longtime buddy Gator is hosting me, as always...We met on a turkey hunting forum about 20 years ago and have exchanging hunts ever since..I go up and hunt turkeys with him and he comes down and hunts turkeys and deer with me every year..

I really look forward to spending time up at Gator's bachelor pad....Hunt gobblers every day until early afternoon, then come back to the house for some lunch and a few beers...Kick back and relax and then do it all over again the next day...Life is GOOD..Hehehe...

I'll check in now and then via Gator's computer and maybe even send a picture of one of those Canuck gobblers...

• Like 21

15 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Good luck up there eh.  I’ve heard they have places like Mables house of whores / horrors up there too if the birds aren’t cooperating 

I wouldn't know about that, TF..I've always been SHY around girls....

• Haha 3

Nope... Fungus Face is  one of my greatest   big game hunting buddies....Hunted  moose, caribou, elk  and mule deer with him, as well as local whitetails... You could never find a better partner in a wilderness hunting camp...

We never did turkeys much, however...

I heard that the ugly old bastard intends to retire this year, but I'll believe it when it happens....Hehehe...

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 1

I arrived about 8:00 PM last night..  Good trip, but the customs personnel  took thier good old time...Took me about an hour to clear customs..

Checked out a property  this morning that had produced  several gobblers in the past  but has been dead the last couple years..Heard one distant gobble..

Moved to another property and heard three and saw two gobblers...I have  2 blinds set up now and am really excited about hunting both of them...Light rain predicted in the morning, but I have rain gear plus a blind, so I'll be set up there at O dark thirty tomorrw..

I'll keep y'all posted...

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

Day one, rainy, cold crappy weather... All I heard was a few distant roost gobbles...Tomorrow is another day ......

You'll never catch Bill at this rate....:rolleyes:

Better break out the spotlights and start swatting 'em off the roost tonight! :DuckHuntingSmiley:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

No bail money needed (yet)  but I did kill a gobbler this morning....

I had to sneak into my blind with eh bird gobbling  on the roost about 100 yards away inn VERY open hardwoods..

After he flew down, two   3 note strings of  very soft yelps on my  Bob Harwell box were all it took...I killed him at 6:05 AM.

He's a two year old, probably 18 -19 pounds with an 8 inch beard and 5/8" spurs... I was tickled to get him after 2  mornings of snotty weather hearing very little..

This morning was an ideal gobbling morning. clear crisp and still...I heard several other gobblers this morning, including two on the property I was hunting  within easy calling distance...Hoping to make a two bagger tomorrow morning..It has been a few years since I took my 2 bird limit here in Ontario,,,

• Like 13

8 hours ago, Pygmy said:

No bail money needed (yet)  but I did kill a gobbler this morning....

I had to sneak into my blind with eh bird gobbling  on the roost about 100 yards away inn VERY open hardwoods..

After he flew down, two   3 note strings of  very soft yelps on my  Bob Harwell box were all it took...I killed him at 6:05 AM.

He's a two year old, probably 18 -19 pounds with an 8 inch beard and 5/8" spurs... I was tickled to get him after 2  mornings of snotty weather hearing very little..

This morning was an ideal gobbling morning. clear crisp and still...I heard several other gobblers this morning, including two on the property I was hunting  within easy calling distance...Hoping to make a two bagger tomorrow morning..It has been a few years since I took my 2 bird limit here in Ontario,,,

You know the rules.  We need pics, or it didn't happen.  

Ok.... Congrats on bird #1.  Good luck tomorrow on bird #2.  

• Like 1