Damn Mice !

Rat and mouse poison has kept the little critters at bay.
Years ago, mice packed the cooling fins of the engine under the cowling where it couldn't be seen. During mowing, smoke started curling out from under the hood, and fire cooked the engine. Since then, I have kept poison all over the barn. End of problem.

Not a good idea to poison the Vermin Doc. Oh wait...No Holes and No Season. My Bad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem i have with the block is the slugs and snails eat it.Last year a big fat woodchuck kept eating it.I haven't had one in my house since i cleaned up and sealed everything.The guy i bought it from didn't seem to mind them being in the house it was nasty.

I have several friends with farm machinery, some of them actually farmers, who swear to the effectiveness of simple dryer sheets as a rodent deterrent. We've been using them for years, and they work. And my tractor smells extra laundry-fresh every day until it belches diesel exhaust. I prefer the smell of diesel exhaust to fabric softener, but that's just me. Add in a little two-stroke chainsaw pre-mix and it makes my pants feel tight.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

I've never seen mice use dryer sheets for nests.  In my experience, they chew on it and it makes them sick. I've also used Cab Fresh with success.  It can be hard to find though.

We put dryer sheets,  lava soap, which is suppose to be good,   and moth balls in our camper when we closed it up for the winter a couple of years and they chewed on the soap and made nests with the dryer sheets in addition to chewing on the canvas.

Since using Fresh Cab we have not had any damage and haven't even found turds in the camper. We find it at Runnings and Tractor Supply usually has a good supply.

I have heard dryer sheets a number of times and we spread a whole box plus and still found them in it.

Haven't opened it up yet this year so I can't say it is a 100% but for the last two years we have been good.

9 hours ago, Steve D said:

We put dryer sheets,  lava soap, which is suppose to be good,   and moth balls in our camper when we closed it up for the winter a couple of years and they chewed on the soap and made nests with the dryer sheets in addition to chewing on the canvas.

Since using Fresh Cab we have not had any damage and haven't even found turds in the camper. We find it at Runnings and Tractor Supply usually has a good supply.

I have heard dryer sheets a number of times and we spread a whole box plus and still found them in it.

Haven't opened it up yet this year so I can't say it is a 100% but for the last two years we have been good.

I've never seen that.  Good to know.

No Cab Fresh to be found in Vermont.  I had to order a whole damn case online.  As an added bonus, Cab Fresh smells wonderful!

Still at war with the vermin . I was out by the shed where I store my ATV yesterday and saw something scurry under the shed tent flap . Put out the cheapie wooden mouse traps and checked this am . Caught a mouse in one and a Vole in another . I need Grampy to trap that Killer Chipmunk and send it my way ! 

mice pissed me off this past winter. still not through everything but i pulled incisors from a buck the neighbor took. his biggest to date and possibly the biggest we've seen around to date. had lots of history hunting the deer each season. mice passed up all the younger other buck teeth and then singled those out. chewed thru the packaging and took the two teeth. mouse turd was all over next to all the packages. working on getting out the mower next hopefully they didn't get into that.

10 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

Still at war with the vermin . I was out by the shed where I store my ATV yesterday and saw something scurry under the shed tent flap . Put out the cheapie wooden mouse traps and checked this am . Caught a mouse in one and a Vole in another . I need Grampy to trap that Killer Chipmunk and send it my way ! 

Think I'll keep the Killer Chipmunk, right where he is! May even set some extra peanuts out for him. He can take out as many mice as he wants here.  Hope ya come up with a solution soon Eddie.

I'm a very political guy. It's what I do. The way I see it is mice are like Democrats. If they're allowed to chew on wiring and hoses and build nests in intake ports, eventually the tractor won't run. if the tractor doesn't run, work doesn't get done. Mice are happy. So there are two options: prevent the mice from destroying the machinery; or kill all the mice. I don't think it's possible to kill all the mice, and it would be illegal to kill all the Democrats. Protect the machinery. At all cost!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, philoshop said:

I'm a very political guy. It's what I do. The way I see it is mice are like Democrats. If they're allowed to chew on wiring and hoses and build nests in intake ports, eventually the tractor won't run. if the tractor doesn't run, work doesn't get done. Mice are happy. So there are two options: prevent the mice from destroying the machinery; or kill all the mice. I don't think it's possible to kill all the mice, and it would be illegal to kill all the Democrats. Protect the machinery. At all cost!

I'm not sure if this one of the oddest or funniest analogies I have ever read. Either way I liked it. LOL!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 4/25/2018 at 5:53 AM, rachunter said:

I made one and it worked great.The problem for me is i'm not up the fulltime and the smell from the dead mice was nasty.I also used a peanut butter jar instead of the roller.

Rachunter, we use the same trap at my club camp, but use anti freeze instead of water. It breaks them down over time into a disgusting looking mass of goo, but there is no odor.

• Like 1

I have a new problem under my house. Not only does it eat the mouse bait but it also eats the mice in the bucket trap. After trying to catch it in a have-a-heart trap  with no luck I made a few weasel boxes to give a shot. Really don’t want to kill it but it cleans out the mouse bait faster then I can replace it.

0585C326-D2CE-472F-8BF0-1A8BE57B8557.jpeg