Hunting from above ?

fasteddie

Has anyone or does anyone ever turkey hunt from a ladder stand with a shooting rail and camo skirt for concealment ? The woods I hunt are very wet and any chair / stool , etc would sink in . Wonder if hunting from an elevated place would be a stupid idea . 

I've never tried it, but don't see why it wouldn't work.  No a conventional way to hunt em, but give it a whirl. 

Myself, I'd get a good waterproof pad to sit on.  I like to be able to move on a bird if needed.

9 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

Has anyone or does anyone ever turkey hunt from a ladder stand with a shooting rail and camo skirt for concealment ? The woods I hunt are very wet and any chair / stool , etc would sink in . Wonder if hunting from an elevated place would be a stupid idea . 

I always ask myself the same question.  The fall birds I have seen didn't seem to notice me much up the tree.  Maybe its contrary to the spirit of getting up close and personal. 

The only time i shot at a turkey was from a stand , they filed through a hedgerow and i was waiting at full draw  , i  nailed a tree half way between myself and the intended target ,that arrow was stuck in that tree for years . I  looked for it this past season and couldn't find it.

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

I always ask myself the same question.  The fall birds I have seen didn't seem to notice me much up the tree.  Maybe its contrary to the spirit of getting up close and personal. 

^^^This ^^^

Hunted turkey in our noise bleed stand. I like it because of the visibility. Hens and jakes would walk right by, looking up at me from side of their head. Toms, a little more smarter; kept their distance. Step ladder stand maybe 8 feet off the ground and have had several turkey fly over my head out of the thickets. Something scares them in there.

Keep in mind, the angle of your shot, which changes more than I though with a miss.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

A few years ago a gobbler caught me off guard while I was out shooting photos pre season.

I stuck a deek in the dirt and shot up a ladder stand that just so happened to be right behind me where I took this shot.

That bird came in and was oblivious to me being up there. For some reason it doesn't always work out like that for me in the fall while I'm hunting deer. Most likely the decoy held this guys attention, but in the fall with all the extra eyeballs in the flock they always seem to pick me off up there.

There's no way I could spring hunt from a stand but I'm sure it would be quite effective. Some days it drives me nuts just being locked up in a ground blind compared to the way I used to hunt at the base of a tree.

Here's a shot from above...

large.jpg 

Edited by wooly
  • Like 6

Full disclosure, not much of a turkey hunter and have only shot one jake prior. But I did decide to go at it a little harder this season.

I've often wondered about the tree stand aspect for Spring turkey. The most recent time was this past Tuesday as the blind I was sitting in was within 20 yards of my most productive (for deer) ladder stand.