Crossbow Updates

I feel like I'm debating with children. Ok then......this thread will end shortly but ugly is forever. Care to deny it?

you and others like you who want to impose the way others must hunt will soon learn that is a recipe for failure. hunting and the people who enjoy the sport of hunting by their very nature are freedom loving people, we don't like meaningless nitpicky rules. hunting is all about freedom, if you don't beleive me look at europe, hey you might fit in their nicely with the high arsed you gotta pay 10 thousand bucks a year to hunt crowd....

those who do not have anything to add to the discussion call names and things like that.  Whether you like it or not they will be legal in archery season very soon and the reason money simple as that regardless of your rants about guns verses bows. 

Bubba youbgot it right !! things change! The crossbow will become legal in regular season shortly. just like releases/and let off were accepted.. the guy down the road hunting with crossbow wont effect the way i choose to hunt!! the pureist is been dead for a long time! for those who hunt with long bow / recurve  instinctual kudos to you !!! wish the state would give you your own season!!! same as the side lock flint lock muzzle loaders.. fact is i like to hunt and will utilize all equipment and seasons that are available!!!

Yep...now that we have crossbows it's time to start writing letters for the Atlatl Season...for pete's sake, boys, do you realize the hunters in Missouri are ahead of us?

http://www.ammoland.com/2011/03/25/missouri-first-atlatl-weapon-deer-season/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed

Yep...now that we have crossbows it's time to start writing letters for the Atlatl Season...for pete's sake, boys, do you realize the hunters in Missouri are ahead of us?

http://www.ammoland.com/2011/03/25/missouri-first-atlatl-weapon-deer-season/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed

if thats what one wants to use in their pursuit of deer, why not? it wouldnt be for me but i wouldnt wanna stop anyone who wanted to use one.

My point is that compounds and the like were added to seasons because they fit into that season. Crossbows have been around since the stone age and were not included in archery season because it is not archery equipment. They are only being considered now because of $$$. 

Thats your theory. Like I have said many times in the past, crossbows are in fact, archery and bowhunting equipment, they work upon the same principals as bows with the exception of how you aim it and most of the major archery associations recognize it as such. The only associations that do not classify it as archery equipment are those that wish to keep it out of archery season for whatever reasons they have. My opinion, is that most of them hold elitist, selfish views on how "their" hunting season should be. Lets get back to fact though, and say that at no time has the NYSDEC ever classified crossbows as anything other than bowhunting equipment. In the past they simply did not espouse any classification to it, which is not the same as saying it "isnt archery equipment" or is "related to a gun".

Sorry, but you NYB types lost the fight to keep them out of the NY woods and you will be losing the fight to keep them out of bow season. The writing is on the wall, or should I say, in the 5 year plan.  ;)

Thats your theory. Like I have said many times in the past, crossbows are in fact, archery and bowhunting equipment, they work upon the same principals as bows with the exception of how you aim it and most of the major archery associations recognize it as such. The only associations that do not classify it as archery equipment are those that wish to keep it out of archery season for whatever reasons they have. My opinion, is that most of them hold elitist, selfish views on how "their" hunting season should be. Lets get back to fact though, and say that at no time has the NYSDEC ever classified crossbows as anything other than bowhunting equipment. In the past they simply did not espouse any classification to it, which is not the same as saying it "isnt archery equipment" or is "related to a gun".

Sorry, but you NYB types lost the fight to keep them out of the NY woods and you will be losing the fight to keep them out of bow season. The writing is on the wall, or should I say, in the 5 year plan.  ;)

Of course repeating something many times does not lend any credibility to a statement does it?

As far as what is classified as what, the only observation that I might offer is obviously the place where the x-bows have been located in ....... the gun season. That may or may not be where it remains, but their first instinct as to where it belongs turned out to be in the gun season. I think they got it right the first time.

they got in the gun season first as it was the place of least resistance.  It will expand into archery in 2 years.  Anyone care to make a wager with me?  anyone? anyone?

Lol.... what is supposed to happen in the next two years that will eliminate resistance?

"As far as what is classified as what, the only observation that I might offer is obviously the place where the x-bows have been located in ....... the gun season. That may or may not be where it remains, but their first instinct as to where it belongs turned out to be in the gun season. I think they got it right the first time."

You are funny Doc.

they got in the gun season first as it was the place of least resistance.  It will expand into archery in 2 years.  Anyone care to make a wager with me?  anyone? anyone?

Lol.... what is supposed to happen in the next two years that will eliminate resistance?

the current regulations are for two years.  When they see the response to the use and have pressure to put its use in the archery season, it will go there regardless of resistance.  it is simple babty steps give it to us a little ata time.

It couldn't be placed in any season before this year as it was not a legal hunting impliment for whatever strange, foolish reason. A longbow and a modern 30" compound with 80% (actually up to 99%) letoff that can only be shot with a trigger (release) are at best 4th cousins to each other. A compound and a crossbow are more like fraternal twins. I'll support crossbows in guns seasons only, if compounds are moved there only as well.

2 seasons would be fine by me - all archery (longbw/recurve, compound and crossBOW) in bow, and guns (shotgun, rifle and mz) in gun season. Probably too simple an idea to be accepted by most.

Im going to stick my neck out in this debate lol.  Let me first say I am an avid bowhunter and the compound is my favorite time of the hunting season and prefer it over all the ML and Gun seasons.  I am in no way going to say what anyone elses choice of weapon they should or shouldnt take afield with them.  This debate hunters have over crossbows is mind boggling to me.  One agenda in my mind should be clear and that is we all stick together to preserve our right to hunt.  Truly how or why does it matter if the guy on the hill the next county over is using a crossbow or the guy hunting the same woods as you.  It is that persons choice and he has the freedom to choose to do so if indeed they end up being a legal implement to the archery season.  Everyone gets so darn upset to think someone is invading their woods or their deer.  Unless your sitting on private land and you or the owners have made up your own bylaws as to what legal weapons are allowed on your little private piece of heaven than what right exacally do we have to tell someone else who is just as pationate about hunting whitetail that their weapon of choice is wrong and tear them apart for it?  I also would like to throw this one out there just incase I left someone out and didnt tick them off by my statement lol.  I am not a NYB member and never plan on being one.  I dont agree with their selfish reasoning behind what they feel is best for every and all hunters in NY.  They whine about the length of bowseason all the time and now that their is a proposal in the works to lengthen the season, guess what they are whining about that as well.  I will paste and email I received from a NYB member and I am amazed at how these people will never be happy regardless.  Now dont get me wrong some of their views I agree with but to claim that our bowhunting season will basically be 5 days and it will cease to exist as we know it is a little dramatic.  Here it is for your viewing pleasure. 

NEW YORK BOWHUNTERs, Inc.

CRITICAL RED ALERT

The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) has released

their 5-year “Management Plan for Whitetail Deer in NYS 2011-2015".  This plan

is a recipe for the dismantling of the archery-only hunting seasons as we know

them today and it will have a dramatic effect on the quality of hunting during

the firearm season as well.    ALL sportspersons of this state need to spread

the word via e-mail, twitter, face book, blogs, contacts with sporting groups,

sports shops, legislators and any media at their disposal. 

YOU NEED TO ACT ASAP - MAKE IT GO VIRAL

Proposed  Tag/Permit Structure  - FOR THE ENTIRE STATE

* eliminate all antlerless & either sex  tags, therefore no tags will be issued

with bow or muzzleloading licenses,

* antlerless deer can ONLY be taken with deer management permits (DMPs) in

selected areas ,         

* the ONLY deer carcass tag that you will receive will be ONE buck tag with your

big game hunting license.  Once a            buck is harvested it’s your only

one and you’re done. In areas with no DMPs, or a DMP is not secured via the

lottery, hunters can only harvest one antlered (buck) deer. Therefore if a buck

is taken during the early bow season, the regular season and muzzleloading

licenses that were purchased are useless,

* expand the antler restriction (3 antler points on one side) program in the

Catskill region.

Background Information

* In 2002, in compensation for a license fee increase, bowhunters received two

additional carcass tags,

* In 2005, the DEC implemented regulations that took away up to 10 days and the

last weekend of prime bowhunting    time in November.  This change allowed

junior hunters to hunt on the 1 st weekend of the regular season,

* In 2009, another license fee was enacted, including the addition of a $10

application fee for DMPs,

* Bowhuters have to buy two licenses in order to bow hunt (big game and

archery),

* Bowhunters are paying more license/permit fees in combination with ever

decreasing hunting opportunities. 

Southern Zone Season Structure :

* open the archery-only season on October 1 st ,

* create a 3 day youth firearm season on the Columbus Day holiday weekend

followed immediately by,

* a 4 day muzzleloading/bow season for antlerless deer only (including

bowhunters),

* bow-only season continues through the 3 rd Friday in November,

* open the regular season on the 3 rd Saturday in November for 23 days (current

season structure),

* a 9 day combined bow/muzzleloading season after the regular season (current

season structure).

If this DEC plan is implemented, bowhunters in 2012 will only have a 5 days of

uninterrupted archery-only hunting season.  After the deer drives start and the

guns start going off, the deer will go running, including the mature bucks that

will head to their safe hiding spots until the woods calm down in late December.

The archery-only season you enjoy now will cease to exist.

Northern Zone Season Structure :

* open the archery-only season on September 27 th ,

* 3 day youth firearms hunt on Columbus Day holiday weekend,

* bow-only season thru the next to last Friday in October (gain 4 days with no

additional weekend opportunity),

* 7 day muzzleloading/bow season (moved back one week),

* regular season opens on the last Saturday in October thru the 2 nd Sunday in

December (moved back one week),

* 7 day muzzleloading with bow hunting included in season .

Additional proposals :

* The DEC can modify the bow and muzzleloading seasons as it sees fit, resulting

in unpredictable season structures.

* Make additional portions of the bow season, in selected areas, antlerless only

(no bucks).

* Allow for the use of crossbows in ALL the hunting seasons (legislation

required).

* Open a youth-only firearms hunt during the 1 st weekend of the Suffolk County

January firearms season.         

Regular Firearm Seasons - Other than moving back the northern zone season by one

week, there are no changes to the season length or tag structure, including no

requirements to take only antlerless deer in any portion of the seasons!

In addition to spreading this news far and wide ( including your local

legislators ), please contact the following, listed below.  Use the enclosed

letters as a blueprint for composing your own personal comments.  If you choose

to use the attached form letters, remember to include your address and signature

at the bottom of the page of every letter you send . 

NYS Dept. Environmental Conservation

c/o Deer Management Plan

625 Broadway Ave.

Albany, New York 12233-4754

email: [email protected]

The Honorable Andrew M. Cuomo

Governor of the State of New York

NYS Capitol Building

Albany, New York 12224

email via the web site at:  www.governor.ny.gov

Chairman of the NYS Environmental Conservation Committees

Senator Mark Grisanti

Legislative Office Building

Room 902.

Albany, New York 12247

e-mail: [email protected]

Assemblyman Robert Sweeney

Legislative Office Building

Room 625

Albany, New York 12248

e-mail: [email protected]

DO IT OR LOSE IT!

SEE ATTACHED FOUR (4) FORM LETTERS!

Of course repeating something many times does not lend any credibility to a statement does it?

As far as what is classified as what, the only observation that I might offer is obviously the place where the x-bows have been located in ....... the gun season. That may or may not be where it remains, but their first instinct as to where it belongs turned out to be in the gun season. I think they got it right the first time.

Bubba is absolutely correct, they put them in with gun season temporarily to appease the NYB crowd. In the 5 year plan they flat out classify them as bowhunting equipment. That is the only time they have ever put a classification to crossbows, and they got it right.

I know you all realize this, but the original cross bow was used before the long bow, which actually makes it more primitive.  Granted it has evolved since then into a more modern user friendly cross BOW, but so has the long bow. 

I'm sure some of the Folks of the early Old Testament would disagree with you and would have loved to have had a crossbow as well as Otsi the ice man. :D Sticks and twigs have been killing alot longer than crossbows. Just sayin.

As long as were arguing like children I think the crossbow season should start out with a primitive crossbow. We bow hunters had to start out with sticks and twigs! It's not fair not fair!!!!! :D 

Seriously, let crossbows in the bow season, it will be great for the kids, women and old people and the sport.

• Like 1

I'll have to wait and see if they come up with anything faster than 410 fps before making a choice . Also would like to know what kind of penetration there is at 100 yards as one of the crossbow manufacturers claims softball size groups at 100 yards .

I see no reason to use one in gun season so I will wait until the crossbow gets moved into the Archery season .

• 1 month later...

At first I thought that the crossbow would ruin the archery season. Then I thought about it and it comes down to what kind of hunter you are. Slob hunters are the slob hunters. The same guy that dose not bother to take one shot with his bolt action in the off season is not going  to take a shot with his crossbow. That means he won't prep for bow season and will give up on it after the first season. I think the crossbow will be great for the older and disabled. I don't tell anyone how and what to hunt. I used to hunt bow and gun and now just hunt bow just because I like it more. Most of the guys on this site are REAL hunters and put the time in any way, They would  tag a deer with a bow or crossbow any way in the end it will balance. If we all put the same effort of arguing into things like more places to hunt and longer seasons then that would be something. Lets stick together as sportsman.

Its back lol. Sorry guys but I have to throw some updates to some findings I noticed today. The magazine NY Game and FIsh now have an X BOW XTRA section in it, 16 pages of the 64 it published in the september issue is all about Xbows. I found it quite odd that they refer to the compound bow as a veticle bow now in that section and the last thing I noticed and I feel its a rediculous overkill but Parker bows has a new crossbow out called the Concorde. If you havet heard about it, well its an automatic cocking crossbow. All you do is push a button to activate a co2 cartridge to cock the thing in 2 seconds. So my fellow hunting friends we now have automatic crossbows. What next?

Its back lol. Sorry guys but I have to throw some updates to some findings I noticed today. The magazine NY Game and FIsh now have an X BOW XTRA section in it, 16 pages of the 64 it published in the september issue is all about Xbows. I found it quite odd that they refer to the compound bow as a veticle bow now in that section and the last thing I noticed and I feel its a rediculous overkill but Parker bows has a new crossbow out called the Concorde. If you havet heard about it, well its an automatic cocking crossbow. All you do is push a button to activate a co2 cartridge to cock the thing in 2 seconds. So my fellow hunting friends we now have automatic crossbows. What next?

this is great and is pretty good proof of the changing tide in NY,