My 46'R finish on Haystack! 8/5/18

Jdubs

After 6 years, 27 days of hiking, hundreds of rugged ADK miles and tens of thousands of feet of elevation gain, I finally reached my last summit on Haystack to become an ADK 46'R! I had been patiently waiting for a break in the continuous thunderstorm forecasts and made the decision to go on Saturday afternoon. To make this finish even sweeter, my close friend Jenny (#8022) surprised me with a call only hours before leaving Saturday night saying that she and her friend would love to join me. What an incredible surprise! We hiked all night (starting at 11:30 pm) and after breaking treeline I could have sprinted over Little Haystack and up to Haystack's summit! However, I wanted to share that moment and together we enjoyed a spectacular sunrise and jaw-dropping summit views. In fact, I'd rate Haystack's views and grueling 18 miles RT as the best I've experienced of all the 46ers.

Normally I would share a more detailed story about the hike itself, but this day was all about my 46'R journey and the motivations behind it. I wanted to prove to myself that I could do this. I wanted to say "Thank You" to those in our military (since I could not serve) who provide the very blanket of Freedom that allows us to enjoy our Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. I wanted to stare down and conquer fear and self-doubt by hiking nearly all of the 46 peaks solo, including several throughout the night with no sleep. I wanted to enjoy each mountain a certain way and patiently planned each hike to ensure success. And I wanted to share these amazing experiences with those who couldn't be there or those who might also be inspired in the same way that others inspired me. 

Ultimately, I completed the 46'R because of a very difficult reminder that Life is too short. Tomorrow isn't promised to me or any of us. What we do today and who we share our time with is what truly matters most! I appreciate all of the time everyone gave me in support of reaching this day. I may have completed my 46'R journey, but this isn't the end, it is only the beginning.

DSCF4671 (2).JPG

DSCF4600 (2).JPG

DSCF4629 (2).JPG

FB_IMG_1533565286516.jpg

DSCF4574 (2).JPG

DSCF4558 (2).JPG

DSCF4559 (2).JPG

DSCF4589 (2).JPG

DSCF4608 (2).JPG

DSCF4607 (2).JPG

DSCF4606 (2).JPG

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

CONGRATULATIONS!!!   There are certain milestones in everyones lifetime, that are so special to us. This is one of those for you John. I'm so happy for you! Becoming a 46r is certainly a difficult achievement. The pure way you went about it is commendable. The dedication and willingness to help others along the way says a lot about you. And the driving forces that you mentioned, that spurred you to the end of your quest, are monumental as well. I'm proud to call you friend.

I have tremendously enjoyed following this thread. The pictures and your descriptions of the hikes are top notch! I hope that you will continue this thread. As you continue to hike, and share the adventures, that are surely to come in the mountains for you, in the future.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Pretty cool. Any injuries during those 46 hikes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's funny, the worst "injury" came from a ground wasp that went to town on my right ankle.  Other than that, some blisters, assorted trail scratches and minor soreness, usual stuff.  

Maybe I was just lucky?  There was one time where I almost bought the farm slipping on a broken suspension bridge with a full pack.  If not for my arm being locked over the one good cable before my feet gave out on the wet planks, I would have dropped about 15' into a raging Opalescent River.  No bueno.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Awesome ! Thanks for taking us along for the “ride”. Enjoyed your reads and pics.  What’s next on the agenda?  Special beer to celebrate I presume too. 

Thanks TF!  CBS last night to celebrate! :drinks: I'm thinking Mt. Washington is up next, home of the worst weather on the planet!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

You da MAN, Dubby  !!

Now you are ready for your sheep grand slam....Does Jenny like to hunt ?

Bwahaha...do I even dare ask you what a "sheep grand slam" is? :haha:

Jenny loves all animals so it's safe to say she isn't going hunting, like ever. xD

17 minutes ago, grampy said:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!   There are certain milestones in everyones lifetime, that are so special to us. This is one of those for you John. I'm so happy for you! Becoming a 46r is certainly a difficult achievement. The pure way you went about it is commendable. The dedication and willingness to help others along the way says a lot about you. And the driving forces that you mentioned, that spurred you to the end of your quest, are monumental as well. I'm proud to call you friend.

I have tremendously enjoyed following this thread. The pictures and your descriptions of the hikes are top notch! I hope that you will continue this thread. As you continue to hike, and share the adventures, that are surely to come in the mountains for you, in the future.

Thanks Dave, those words mean a lot to me. :good:  I'm not about to stop here and will keep climbing higher and sharing the stories.  My small way of paying it forward, so to speak.

Soon enough we'll all be sharing successful deer hunting pics again!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jdubs said:

Bwahaha...do I even dare ask you what a "sheep grand slam" is? :haha:

Jenny loves all animals so it's safe to say she isn't going hunting, like ever. xD

A sheep grand slam is to take a ram  of each of the 4 North American subspecies of wild sheep, Rocky Mountain Bighorn, Desert Bighorn, Stone Sheep and Dall Sheep..

Now the " Amish Grand Slam"  is something different...Can't give you the details, but I think the main equipment requirement is a pair of knee high boots....

Jenny loves all animals ??   I'll bet she'd REALLY like ME <<smile>>…...

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

A sheep grand slam is to take a ram  of each of the 4 North American subspecies of wild sheep, Rocky Mountain Bighorn, Desert Bighorn, Stone Sheep and Dall Sheep..
Now the " Amish Grand Slam"  is something different...Can't give you the details, but I think the main equipment requirement is a pair of knee high boots....

Jenny loves all animals ??   I'll bet she'd REALLY like ME >…...

Sheep Slam is a bargain these days. I think you pay like $250K and get all 4 without having to worry about drawing tags lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Congrats!  I'll be content if I can get the 35.  

Your post was really kind of touching.  You should seriously consider writing a book.  

I know there are already books.  I remember one of the sail circumnavigators once being asked, "What is your ultimate goal?"  And he answered, "To be the first person to sail around the world and not write a book about it."  But seriously, you have a way with words, which I think is largely because of the heartfelt sincerity you obviously put into them.

Great pics, btw!

jm

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

That's terrific; and enjoyed the pics along the way.

You've done more sunrise hikes than anyone I have seen too, good stuff.:good:

So, whats next?

On to the NE 115?

W46 solo?

46Grid?

:drinks:

I think Mt. Washington before summer ends will be next.  Ultimately, I want to do Kilimanjaro!  Any of your African connections guide that?  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jmark said:

Congrats!  I'll be content if I can get the 35.  

Your post was really kind of touching.  You should seriously consider writing a book.  

I know there are already books.  I remember one of the sail circumnavigators once being asked, "What is your ultimate goal?"  And he answered, "To be the first person to sail around the world and not write a book about it."  But seriously, you have a way with words, which I think is largely because of the heartfelt sincerity you obviously put into them.

Great pics, btw!

jm

Thank you!  I really appreciate the kind words jmark. :good:  I've always wanted to write a book, but never felt that I had the right content.  Maybe I should give this some thought. 

On another note, I'm going to reach out to some local schools and libraries.  They already know me for college planning seminars, maybe I can teach some classes for beginner hikers?  That would be fun!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NFA-ADK said:

Congrats, great spot to finish!  

Thanks!  I also considered Wright and Skylight, each for different reasons, but Haystack ended up being perfect for the way I wanted to finish. 

Congratulations Jdubs! 

I very much appreciate when people are motivated, and self driven,  and do not give in because what their goal is, is not a simple task, that is not quickly achieved.   

I also enjoyed your pics, and what you have shared, especially how you start at night, for thr incredible sunrise photos.

Ever been to Mount Katahdin?  

Edited by Bionic

11 minutes ago, Bionic said:

Congratulations Jdubs! 

I very much appreciate when people are motivated, and self driven,  and do not give in because it is not a simple task, that is not quickly achieved.   

I also enjoyed your pics, and what you have shared, especially how you start at night, for thr incredible sunrise photos.

Ever been to Mount Katahdin?  

Thanks B!  Definitely no "gimmies" in the 46, but man are they worth it!  Well, most of them are. :haha:

Funny you mention Katahdin.  We talked about that one somewhere along those 18 miles.  Jenny said they close the trail down on October 15th.  It's definitely on my To Do list, but probably not this year.  Besides Mt. Washington, my cousin's oldest son asked me to take him backpacking up some 46ers after Labor Day.  

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Jdubs
      After nearly 30 miles of hard hiking and two nights of relaxing camping, I am now set up for the grand 46er finale on Haystack! What a perfect weekend in the ADK's!
      Day 1: I returned to the Upper Works lot to hike Marshall. What a huge difference to be hiking this trail with a light day pack instead of the heavy full pack I had on my last trip! I made great time to the start of the Herbert Brook herd path and started right up. While unmarked, the herd path crosses the brook a dozen or more times and proved easier to follow than I had been warned. I made the summit about 3 1/2 hours from the trailhead and spent a few minutes taking pics of the limited views. Truth be told, my bathroom has more square footage than Marshall's treed-in summit. Good thing there was no one else around.
      The best views were below summit - a stunning up-close view of Iroquois and Shepard's Tooth. With plans to car camp on Corey's Rd about an hour away, I soaked in the view then quickly headed back down. As I signed out, DEC Ranger Jameson pulled into the lot and we talked for good 20 minutes. I told him about a family I met that had a bear encounter the night before. Also, I mentioned the unapproved bear can left in the Herbert Brook lean-to. He confirmed that the bear activity is really high right now due to limited natural forage and what I will paraphrase as "camper stupidity".  He told me of multiple examples of unprepared hikers venturing into the High Peaks just to check the box towards a 46er patch with ZERO wilderness preparedness, skills or concern for safety. With only two Rangers patrolling the entire Eastern High Peaks region, these guys have their hands full. Apparently, changes are coming to help alleviate the impacts from the increased volume of hikers.
      I threw on flip-flops and started the drive up to Corey's though Long Lake and into Tupper Lake. I had packed a celebratory dinner of pork tenderloin and rice then enjoyed a Stewart's hot fudge sundae for dessert. After icing down my cooler, I made the final drive to Corey's Rd and scoped out a camp site.
      I pulled into one of the primitive sites and noticed an eroded truck trail running down the back side of this site. This wasn't on the map so I decided to check it out. Much to my surprise, this dropped down to another camp site right on Ampersand Brook. 
      Yahtzee! This hidden gem would be home for the next two nights. After enjoying a fire and some snacks, I hit the sack and dozed off only to be woken up by a lone wolf howling in the distance. Amazing end to the day.
      Day 2: Rest day. Another beautiful weather day on tap started with hot coffee, breakfast burritos and bacon. After cleaning up, I decided to go check out the surrounding area. First up was a trip back into Tupper Lake where I found Big Tupper Brewery. 
      Their Summer Ale and IPA are both very good and the novelty t-shirts an absolute riot! Next up was a drive to different points along the lake. Gorgeous. Between Tupper and Long Lake, I've got to come back up sometime soon.
      Next up was a quick stop along Rt 3 to buy more camp fire wood for the night. $5, what a deal. I continued east back to Saranac Lake and stopped at the DEC public boat launch. The launch provides access to 87 island camp sites on Saranac Lake. How cool is that, you can rent out your own island! Needless to say, demand is high and these sites are reserved months in advance.
      Heading back to camp, a grey fox darted in front of my Jeep on Corey's Rd. A cool sighting, but still not the black bear or moose on my wish list. Upon arriving back, I learned that a friend had to scratch his plans to make the trek up from PA to join me in hiking the Sewards. Bummer. The night continued with a good camp dinner, cold brew and, of course, some s'mores. Then a pair of ladies from Ottawa staying up at the site in front of mine stopped down to say hi. They had just hiked Seymour and would also be hiking the remaining Sewards the next morning. Faye had completed the 46 twice already while her friend Kim had just finished her 46 on Haystack the week prior. It was looking like I might have company on the trails after all.
      Day 3: The morning started much earlier than expected when a moose started calling in the stream behind me at 3 am! By the time I woke up enough to process what I'd heard and throw on a fleece, flip-flops and grab my Surefire, the moose had moved on. Ugh. It was a chilly morning so I quickly crawled back into the sleeping bag. By the time the alarm started beeping at 5 am, I wasn't in any rush to jump up and break camp in time to meet Faye and Kim at the trailhead.
      Once packed up, it was time to head up to the Seward parking lot. Even at 6:45 am, the lot was full with cars now parking along Corey's Rd. I signed in at 7:11 am and started the hike in. By ADK standards, the Blueberry trail and Calkins Brook Truck trail are about as tame as it gets. It only took an hour to make the 3.3 miles to the start of the herd path up to Donaldson.
      No sooner did I reach the rock cairn marking the start of the Calkins Brook path then a large black blur was headed right for me. A bear?! Thankfully, no. A huge jet black great dane named Jack had enthusiastically decided to come say hi. Boy did that get my heart rate up! His owners quickly called him back and the whole meet & greet was over in seconds. Good doggie.
      The Calkins Brook trail runs almost 3 miles and I made the top 2 hours later at the same time as another hiker named Derek. We were both solo hiking SDE and decided to hit Seward first together. Derek set a quick pace and I pushed it stay with him. After a quite a bit of elevation loss and gain, we finally made the tiny treed summit then dropped down a bit lower for a quick break. 
      It wasn't long before we started our way back to Donaldson that we ran into Faye and Kim who had started early and were about to finish on Seward. Thankfully, they reported that the ridge trail from Donaldson to Emmons, notoriously muddy, was actually bone dry. Sweet!
      Back to the S/D col for a quick stop and then we made the 5 minutes rock scrabble up to Donaldson's summit. There were already a half dozen hikers standing here on a summit resembling a medium-sized area rug. One nod to Derek and we agreed to keep moving to Emmons. While on paper this looks like an easy ridge traverse, in reality the herd path weaves its way below ridge line and through a very narrow lane of pines. You may as well call me Groot after having 8000 branches scraping and jabbing across my face, ears and legs for the full 1 mile traverse. Forty-five minutes later and I was standing on the summit of Emmons, my 45th High Peak! Nearly 100 years ago the first 46ers stood on this very spot. Humbling.
      Emmons offered some decent views and the ridge trail especially has some great views of Long Lake. After snapping some pics, the only piece of business left was for Derek and I was to head back to Donaldson. The summit party had cleared by the time we returned. We were able to enjoy great views of the entire High Peaks region and a well-deserved rest.
      If not for the hot afternoon sun and need to get back to the parking lot at a reasonable time, this could have been a decent summit to linger on. Derek again set the quick pace back down and even with a break to filter fresh water, we still made it out in just 3 hours after leaving Donaldson. Derek now has 5 more to go before he completes his 46er journey. For me, only Haystack remains. 

• By Jdubs
      Tuesday night I drove up to Keene Valley for another (planned) sunrise hike to Basin and then Saddleback.  Starting out under the full moon from the Garden lot at 10 pm, I made good time to JBL and up to Bushnell Falls.  Then I entered a section of the Phelps trail that looked like it had been hit by an artillery barrage.  I lost count of all the downed trees that I limboed under, climbed over or hiked around.  This part of the Phelps trail and the Shorey Short Cut were a full blown obstacle course of downfall, mud, rocks, roots, slick bedrock and scrambles.  With less than a mile to go to make summit, I pushed the pace hard, but missed the actual sunrise by 10 minutes.  Still, this was just as rewarding for me as it was physically and mentally demanding.  It was the sports equivalent of "leaving it all on the field".
      I'll post some pics, but they won't do this trip justice.  The infamous Saddleback cliffs are no joke!  They aren't quite vertical, but man, one wrong move and you're done.  I don't know why any sane person would actually choose to descend the cliffs rather than ascend and not look down.  Either way, you better bring your A game.
      These peaks make it 35/46 for me.  The loop hike was about 16.5 miles, but it took me over 17 hours to get back to the Jeep.  The push up to Basin absolutely smoked me only halfway into the hike so I needed to take generous breaks from there on.  Once home I slept for 12 hours straight.  Everything is sore, but I can't wait to do it all over again on the next hike.  

• By Jdubs
      A couple years ago, I backpacked with my gf to a spot behind Marcy with the goal of getting up early and making the summit for sunrise.  Even though we were treated to breathtaking views all alone on the summit, we missed the actual sunrise by a bit.  I've been wanting to do another sunrise hike ever since then, but let too many excuses get in the way.
      Well, Saturday afternoon I saw a gorgeous sunny forecast for Sunday and made the decision to go for it on Algonquin then summit Iroquois and maybe Wright on the way home.  Leaving the house at 10:45 pm got me to the Loj by 12:50 am.  After getting squared away, I signed in at 1:20 am with the goal of enjoying a hot coffee on Algonquin's summit at sunrise.
      The trail up is easy to follow and was a hard packed mix of snow and ice.  Boots were fine the first couple miles in then I put the spikes on.  There is a junction where the paths to Wright and Algonquin split at 3 miles.  It was now 4:15 am and I was feeling pretty good about making the summit in plenty of time.
      This is pretty much the point where I had wished that I had had some sleep and done a whole lot more cardio.  The final half mile up is steep!  As the tree line thinned out, I could actually see this huge massive gray dome against the clear black sky.  It wasn't a cloud.  Nope, this was the summit and I was nowhere near it.  Legs cramping, lungs burning and winds blowing hard, I kept moving at a hobbit's pace to make my goal.  No way was I going to miss this.
      I finally stepped onto the summit with 15 minutes to spare.  I normally like to take a lot of pics, but the frigid winds were so brutal that the camera battery went nearly dead, my cell wouldn't start up and my hand with just a glove liner on was frozen numb in less than 5 minutes.  No way to brew coffee either.  And then in a moment none of those things mattered as I was treated to the most beautiful sunrise I've ever seen.  
      Hope you enjoy the few pics that I was able to take.  Iroquois was much more forgiving and Algonquin's summit was "warmer" the second time passing over to return home.  For me, this was an epic hike all around.  Only 13 more 46ers to go.  Anyone else here complete the 46 or working on it?

• By Padre86
      Anyone else here heard of this huge debate going on about how to classify the new Boreas Ponds acquisition up in the Adirondacks?
      It's a tract of land that was formerly owned by a paper company and was recently turned over to the state (via The Nature Conservancy).  I think the APA put out several proposals, all of which included allowing some measure of motorized access, but many of this state's environmental groups got angry that there was no option for excluding all motorized traffic (which would require a full-on wilderness classification).
      More on the land and surrounding discussion here: http://nysnowmobiler.com/2016/08/boreas-ponds-wild-forest-or-wilderness/ and
      http://www.adirondackalmanack.com/2016/11/boreas-ponds-paddlers-perspective.html#comments
      So what do hunters here think of this?
    • By Padre86
      All right, so I'm new to hunting Turkey.  I've spent the last 2 weekends up in the Adirondacks looking for them.  I see these things all along Rte 28 during my numerous drives up to the Adirondacks, but I've never seen them on hikes and certainly never during any of my hunts up there.   So what I am missing here?
      As I understand it (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), the general idea behind fall turkey hunting is to find a big group of them, break them and then hide out and ambush them as they regroup.  I've heard bringing a dog along to help with the break up is sometimes helpful.  I've heard calls are sometimes used as well, but they seem to be more relied upon in the spring season, when they aren't as grouped up.  
      1) So where do I look for Turkeys, especially in an area as big as the ADK's?  I've spent some time going down old (no longer active) logging/hunting roads and trails.  Sometimes I head off the trail to move through some brush in an attempt to flush anything out of hiding.  
      2) Is the weather and foliage optimal for fall turkey hunting?  I've noticed that the weather this time of year is a bit warmer than usual.  As well the foliage has only just now started to turn.  In fact, when I was moving through the woods today, a lot of the foliage was not only still on the trees but still very green, making it very hard to see very far in any direction.  With all the racket I make stepping on dead leaves, I feel like I'm bumping and scaring away any potential game well before I see them.  
      3) Should I be using a Turkey call, even for the fall season?
      4) Do Turkey like moving in the rain?  It's been fairly wet this weekend so far, almost a constant drizzle.  Is hunting for Turkey in the rain worth it?  I know some game species prefer to say put in rainy weather.
      5) Is ambush or calling pretty much the only way to hunt Turkey?  I've heard that Turkey have amazing eyesight as well as hearing.  So head-to-toe camo and stealth seem to be essential.  I just have a hard time sitting still in some place like the ADK's.  It's a big area, and wildlife isn't nearly as abundant here as some people think it is.  If I don't pick the right spot, I could be doing a whole lot of sitting without seeing a single animal (I know from experience).  

Anyways, those are just a few questions/issues I was trying to work through.  I figure if some more experience Turkey hunters on this site offered some feedback, we might be able to get a helpful dialogue going for myself and other hunters new to Turkey.