Arrows, what are some good ones? Anyone buy new ones recently?

burmjohn

I'd like to get a new set of arrows, what are some good ones? Anyone buy new ones recently?

I saw the ad on TV for those carbon express Maxima's, omg, expensive! So trying to read up on what else is out there after seeing those prices.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shoot maxima hunters, and yes they are expensive. I really like how they shoot and how hard hitting they are however you probably can get similar results out of cheaper arrows. If you get the maxima's you won't be disappointed but you may be able to save money with another type of arrow.

Stick with arrows that work for you. We're going out to get ST Epics in black from Easton at 8 bucks a pop.  Feather vanes for everyone, except me.  I run the blazer vanes, because my whisker biscuit rips off one side of the feathers. Thinking about updating to lighted nocks.  Are they worth the money?

the lighted nocks are great! but they can break easily when hitting bone or hard ground..the battery tends to snap off and slide down the shaft. I have used them to recover two deer very easily.

x2 missed a deer a few years ago with a lighted nock ended up hitting a big branch arrow split in two nock flew out of the shaft to god only knows where and never did find it later that night. got to be expensive. The problem with the nocks is they work by friction in the shaft you must push them in to hold them, normally thats not a problem untill you hit something very hard and they fly out.

Just got another dozen xx75 alum. lites. They fly good and fast out of any bow I have ever shot and the last dozen I bought lasted for about seven yrs ( I was actually down to 4 that were usable). Never saw a need to hunt with carbons, Havent found a deer yet who could move fast enough to get out of the way of Aluminum arrows out to 25 yrds. And there cheaper and I think more forgiving in a hunting situation. I know alot of people who kill lots of deer every yr with Easton gamegetters which are pretty cheap also.

Been a couple of good articles about arrow selection in Bowhunting and D&DH magazines.

Depends on what you shoot, your bow setup, broadhead selection, fletchings & what you expect from an arrow.

Like every thing else in life, every one has personal preferences that work for their situation.

I shoot Beman MFX 340, blazer vanes & a 100gr fixed broadhead with a 58#/315fps bow.

Search the web or eBay for best prices once you decide.

Like to patronize my local archery shop, but their too expensive for arrows.

I've been using Gold Tip XT Hunters for a few years. Their motto,'the toughest arrow you'll ever use' is spot on. I hit a big doe with one but didn't get a pass through because of hitting the far side humorus after a bullseye through the heart! During her fifty yard dash I could hear the exposed shaft hitting the saplings and brush like a kid with a playing card slaping the spokes of a bicycle!

After recovering the deer I was sure the arrow was going to be mangled.

Upon inspection, the shaft was like new and it only required refletching!

It's back in my quiver.

Gotta recommend tapered carbon shafts.  I've been getting complete pass-throughs 9 times out of 10 on everything from elk, sheep, whitetails & bear.  They fly great out of any traditional bow and are easy to spine for any compound. Try a half dozen of the Arrow Dynamics or the Grizzlystiks. Night and day compared to aluminum. 

I use luminocks with axis sst arrows..and pefer the green nocks over the red. have used them for 6 years now and wouldnt go without them. My friend tried magnetic lighted nocks that turn on passing over a magnet but to his surprise the also turn on when bouncing around in the back of his truck and the batteries died. There is a post on making your own  lighted nocks on this site in do it yourself section.

I switched 2 seasons ago to Eastons full metal jackets.  11.6 grams per inch is a great choice for a hunters arrow.  Since they are a carbon arrow wrapped in metal they are a thinner shaft as well.  I love the darn things and I have had 4 people switch over to them that I know after seeing them.  The reason I switched was after shooting many carbon arrows I was never happy with the penetration.  After switching I to the heavier arrow I have had a big difference in the number of pass through shots than years past.  A heavier grained arrow is a good thing in my opinion and I look at it this way.  If you drove a volkswagon at 100 miles per hour into a wall and then went and drove a tractor trailer going 50 mph into the wall which one is going to do the most damage? 

I've used Beman ICS Hunters for the past 4 years. They are great arrows for the money! I used Easton Axis arrows before that. I broke 3 arrows and my buddy broke at least 3 maybe 4 of his. I have yet to break a Beman. I killed my 200+lb 8 point with a Beman.

I picked up a dozen Bemans with Blazer vanes back in January on clearance for like $53 for a dozen! You can't go wrong at that price!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to try a new arrow set up this year my self. I think I'm going to try the Beman speed or the Easton flatline's 340s with 2" rayzr feather to help with the weight forward. According to the owner of a local bow shop it should be a very accurate hunting arrow with a 100 gr broad head. and get the most performance out of my Alpha max. I'll post the crony results when I get them done

I'd like to get a new set of arrows, what are some good ones? Anyone buy new ones recently?

I saw the ad on TV for those carbon express Maxima's, omg, expensive! So trying to read up on what else is out there after seeing those prices.

I would suggest to you that if you got the Bemen hunter safts that are +- .006 and is about 1/3 the cost of the high prices arrows for you and me we would never see a difference. I had the bow shop for years and some guys only wanted to things and that was it had to be the biggest dollar bow and the most dollars for arrows and or release. They would come in after cashing there wife WIC payment checks or other out of work checks and had to have the best. I would see other hard working guys get the middle of the road bow or arrows and shoot th edaylights out of the high price guys...it all depends on what you want, I still shoot the .006 arrows, they are great compared to my days of shooting the old cedars or fiberglass.

I just re read the above posts and I'm being serious here....I don't understand this whole arrow shaft weight penetration thing....and this is why...I'm cheap...period...and I've used the whitetail arrows to fit my then 15 yr. old Hoyt...shooting 51#'s.....so ya.... lighter than I would think most of you guys shoot...and I use 4 blade fixed broad heads usually whats on sale ...if one flys well in practice...other 2 go hunting with me no problem...I have pass thru's and good blood trails...

My arrows have to be ...for the wht tails..... full length...which is 30"...because I sight down the shaft...instinctive if you will...any how I've hit bone...gone through deer into trees and what not and with this doe in pic the arrow went through both shoulder blades and nearly out the other side at 20 yrds....()she turned and looked straight at me as I shot...so I pulled the shot forward I aim behind shoulder...which is what most my shots are15-25 actually........what is the real difference? I don't understand....

I just re read the above posts and I'm being serious here....I don't understand this whole arrow shaft weight penetration thing....and this is why...I'm cheap...period...and I've used the whitetail arrows to fit my then 15 yr. old Hoyt...shooting 51#'s.....so ya.... lighter than I would think most of you guys shoot...and I use 4 blade fixed broad heads usually whats on sale ...if one flys well in practice...other 2 go hunting with me no problem...I have pass thru's and good blood trails...

My arrows have to be ...for the wht tails..... full length...which is 30"...because I sight down the shaft...instinctive if you will...any how I've hit bone...gone through deer into trees and what not and with this doe in pic the arrow went through both shoulder blades and nearly out the other side at 20 yrds....()she turned and looked straight at me as I shot...so I pulled the shot forward I aim behind shoulder...which is what most my shots are15-25 actually........what is the real difference? I don't understand....

Now that looks like a simple bow setup!!  Not many bells and whistles and I am downright impressed at anyone killing a deer at 20 yards without sights.  Not many can say the same.  Great  job.