Big Woods Cabin Fever

Salmon_Run

Well now fellow "big woods" hunters, now that the tears from early December have ceased and the snow has hit hard in my area, how many of us have a severe case of cabin/big woods fever?

All my gear is packed away, guns cleaned and know that camp is under the snow blanket deep, I'm ready for signs of spring.

I've started my spring trout fly tying and wait...

What are you guys doing to survive?

• Like 1

I can say the cabin fever has taken hold pretty strong over here too. I've actually got some winter trips planned that should help to snap me out of it a bit. Headed up to Algonquin Park with some old guiding buddies of mine to hit the hard water and do a little carousing. I'm planning to stop through 5H on my way up there to check in on our place and try my hand at a little predator control. Maybe give the gobblers a leg up for spring? I've pondered trying to sneak down to the Keys to throw flies at bonefish, but that one's probably a pipedream. There are some crazy cheap flights into Miami but we'll have to see how much time I can scrounge (not to mention patience from my lady). Otherwise, I'm just looking at Google Earth and Topo+ a lot trying to find that perfect travel corridor through the big woods...

Edited by Cedar+Canvas
  • Like 3

Just put gas heat in my garage. Busy with kids and sports,working extra hours, and enjoying time with family. 

Watching my girls grow up right before my eyes,time  needs to slow down . Oct will be here before we know it.

• Like 1

Been watching hunting videos. Hiking and seeing what I can see . Not looking forward to hunting to much right now with my hunting partners passing and my sister now doesn't want to hunt anymore because of it . I will be solo.  Not looking forward to being solo but I do it alit now . I will be missing my hunting partners. 

• Sad 1

Usually I am still getting out up at the camp to stretch my legs, woods management, firewood, etc. 

Unfortunately, the weather has been severe enough I cant really get into the woods to do so, and even though I would like to this w/e, it is cold enough that I wouldn't be able to get the cabin warmed up enough in a reasonable amount of time. 

Hopefully in the next year or so I will be spray foaming the subfloor, which will help a lot. 

• Like 1

I am usually up to my camp a fair bit through the winter, cutting wood, maintaining trees or just hiking/ scouting. This year the weather hasn't been cooperating much. I was going to go up this w/e, but it is cold enough that it would take too long to heat up the cabin to make it comfortable for overnight.

Back home, I am reloading, doing a lot of planning for a long awaited trip to South Africa in 2020, catching up on a lot of reading. 

For the few days we had any snow I got my '73 Elan SS out and pulled the boys around on the sled.  Been working on clearing some land.  I have part of an old pasture that's growing up.  Clearing the honeysuckle and buckthorn.  Has some nice black cherry on it though that are getting up aroung 8-10".

Edited by covert

No need for Cabin Fever when there is all kinds of stuff outside to kill and lakes full of fish to catch. Ny sportsmen should never have to have that sickness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark this down...on this day in the 2019 year, I LIKED an FSW post!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Made the week long trek to camp and snowshoed in with about 4' hard pack on the ground, the deer are yarded up as usual and it's gonna be a while until snow melts as it's hard pack and icy underneath.

It was nice to see camp doing well and all roofs shed off, someone knocked the gate down on my access so there a early spring project.....

Stay well out there and the sun feel like spring......... 

• Like 1