WNYBuckHunter

Live From The Woods 2019 Turkey Edition

18 minutes ago, mowin said:

We had a great hunt this morning.  I was expecting to get soaked, but we beat the rain. 

About 5:15, we could hear hens all around us. Luckily leaf out is complete, and nothing seen us as we were only 50 yrds from the nearest hen.  After some soft calling, we seen a couple fly down into the field, and finally heard a gobble. 

Took about 3 minutes and we had a jake 15 yrds out.  Kayden made a great shot. 

His buddy has his his safety course, and has asked if I could take him hunting.  I think the bug bit him good.

IMG_20190512_055435905.jpg

Congratulations on a successful hunt. Way to go.

• Like 1

Back at the house. No birds seen or heard. Boo!

Pretty sure I did my part this morning. Pouring buckets and some distant thunder. Stayed dry in the blind but loud in there.

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, mowin said:

We had a great hunt this morning.  I was expecting to get soaked, but we beat the rain. 

About 5:15, we could hear hens all around us. Luckily leaf out is complete, and nothing seen us as we were only 50 yrds from the nearest hen.  After some soft calling, we seen a couple fly down into the field, and finally heard a gobble. 

Took about 3 minutes and we had a jake 15 yrds out.  Kayden made a great shot. 

His buddy has his his safety course, and has asked if I could take him hunting.  I think the bug bit him good.

IMG_20190512_055435905.jpg

Atta boy!was hoping to see that pic.congrats to all!!

• Like 1

Not exactly live from the turkey woods but, I found this nest in my back yard under a small Alberta spruce. I think it's a turkey nest as I have been seeing a hen in my yard a couple if times for the past week. I'm going to put a trail camera on it if I can, hopefully I haven't spooked her away.

I live in Amherst not exactly out in the country. I don't expect them to hatch as I have only seen hens around for several years, never see any gobblers. We'll see??

IMG_20190511_173907473.jpg

Edited by 2012_taco
added text.
  • Like 7

Hunt when I can.. ;)

12 minutes ago, 2012_taco said:

Not exactly live from the turkey woods but, I found this nest in my back yard under a small Alberta spruce. I think it's a turkey nest as I have been seeing a hen in my yard a couple if times for the past week. I'm going to put a trail camera on it if I can, hopefully I haven't spooked her away.

IMG_20190511_173907473.jpg

I see that hen, I am just wondering who bred her. I havent seen a Male in the hood...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kpkot said:

I see that hen, I am just wondering who bred her. I havent seen a Male in the hood...

I read yesterday that a hen will lay eggs even if she hasn't been  bred? I'm not sure that's true but I did read it on the internet!

Hunt when I can.. ;)

Just now, 2012_taco said:

I read yesterday that a hen will lay eggs even if she hasn't been  bred? I'm not sure that's true but I did read it on the internet!

Yea that's what chickens do.... can't wait to see the trail cam photos! my parents live by park school and had two long beards in the yard last year. 

Off topic ,  but egg related. Buddy lives on Irondequoit Bay, a duck laid an egg in his boat , he couldn’t put it on shore, because of all the muskrats , Fox , and coyotes around . Put  it under a heat lamp in a box, then she laid 2 more in his boat, so now he has three under the light , and rotates the eggs every 4 hours .....

• Like 2

That Hen should come back as long as there is not much Human activity back near the Nest. Keep us all informed on the progress. 5 eggs is a small clutch.

10 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Off topic ,  but egg related. Buddy lives on Irondequoit Bay, a duck laid an egg in his boat , he couldn’t put it on shore, because of all the muskrats , Fox , and coyotes around . Put  it under a heat lamp in a box, then she laid 2 more in his boat, so now he has three under the light , and rotates the eggs every 4 hours .....

Temp has to be consistent and at a specific temp, think it's 95*. Humidity has to be consistent too. Too hot and they cook, to cool and they won't do anything but rot... 

Edited by mowin

The hen came back today around 2 PM. Laid another egg. I'm going to get a camera on the nest asap.

IMG_20190512_154632721.jpg

• Like 9

Hunt when I can.. ;)

1 hour ago, 2012_taco said:

The hen came back today around 2 PM. Laid another egg. I'm going to get a camera on the nest asap.

IMG_20190512_154632721.jpg

1 per day til complete. Very cool   I’m never found a nest. I’ve had same hen waddling through bunch of days in a row while hunting as close as I’ve got. 

Ya he’s got the temp down . Time will tell .
Could always crack em and fry em up. Mmm fresh eggs

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That was my first thought as well . He really wants to hatch them so they follow him around .
That would be cool! Pet ducks. They're nice

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Tried taking a double with buddy. He missed , I hit.  Jake down.  That hunt was a blast. 

• Like 8

23 hours ago, 2012_taco said:

23 hours ago, kpkot said:

Yea that's what chickens do.... can't wait to see the trail cam photos! my parents live by park school and had two long beards in the yard last year. 

technically our woman do the same once a month as well. If not "bred", they "shed/drop" an egg with the lining. And if NO egg drops, it's time to get another job :rofl:

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching, even when the wrong thing is legal"

-Aldo Leopold 

20190513_085552.thumb.jpg.b97000f88e64f2d8e3b6a67d83c636e8.jpg

One of the funner hunts I have experienced.  My best friend since a kid joined me. No gobbles off the roost and quiet until couple hens entered field. Just after gobbling ensued from a good distance out. That bird came in quick and I saw him about 70 yds in timber strutting looked like a full fan and he was gobbling. Suddenly two Jake's materialized and we made a quick decision to try the double. I'm not certain in anything associated with Turkey hunting, but I think that longbeard would of came in. No regrets as my friend and I will never forget today.  Quality hunt.

Edited by kpkot
  • Like 16

55 minutes ago, kpkot said:

20190513_085552.thumb.jpg.b97000f88e64f2d8e3b6a67d83c636e8.jpg

One of the funner hunts I have experienced.  My best friend since a kid joined me. No gobbles off the roost and quiet until couple hens entered field. Just after gobbling ensued from a good distance out. That bird came in quick and I saw him about 70 yds in timber strutting looked like a full fan and he was gobbling. Suddenly two Jake's materialized and we made a quick decision to try the double. I'm not certain in anything associated with Turkey hunting, but I think that longbeard would of came in. No regrets as my friend and I will never forget today.  Quality hunt.

Congratulations - great morning!

thought'd i'd recap my Saturday for you guys if you're interested.

Wanted to get to bed around 9:30 on Friday, it'd been a long week. Didn't really get to sleep till almost 11. Alarm was set for 4:00am, but who was I kidding? Especially with one tag already punched. So I snooze the alarm and end up getting into the woods a tad before 7. This was ok with me. Typically in my woods I get opportunities right at flydown 6-7am window, or sometime after 9 in the fields. I make my way back towards the fields taking my time, clucking here and there but not trying for any shock gobbles. 

Around 7:15 I near the stonewall and hedgerow that separates the pines from the fields. I approach very quietly and slowly and through some brush I see some brown objects not 10 yards out from the wall. I get the binos and sure as shit one is a decent tom in full fan. I am literally 40 yards away.

I take off my decoy bag and spend the next 15 agonizing minutes inching, commando crawling and cautiously making my way the next 10 yards to the wall. I now have a shot to the field (west), and the birds are about 40 yards north. The stone wall runs north-south. I can make out objects, but there's brush concealing the birds. I'm not sure if they will come into the pines and give me a 5 yard shot to the east or if they will continue in the field. Eventually I'm convinced as they work their way south that they are staying in the field. I belly slide like a snake over the rockwall and am fortunate to have a small forked sapling that is the perfect gun rest. 

the birds are now invisible behind the brush that is in front of me. They then appear, but have started to work their way into the field and diagonally away from me. wtf... They are at about 40 yards and still not clear of the brush. I make out 4 birds. 2 of which are jakes, a 3rd unknown and a decent 2 year old Tom. Man do cut corn fields mess with your id skills or what?

I wait a minute or so for them to make a move, leery of calling and spooking. When all the sudden they start moving briskly. They were spooked. Not terrified, but spooked and I know it wasn't me. Dangit I think. coyote maybe? I make some yelps and they stop, but they're not changing their minds and they disappear over the crest of the field and out of site. I hadn't even setup shop yet and figure i'll give it 10 before getting in a spot. When out of the corner of my eye comes the neighbor. ahhhh I see now. Not a trespassing issue, but a miscommunication. What was a "hey I might try turkey this year and let you know", was confirmed. I had been really lucky the last 5 years without any competition. oh well.

In a way I'm glad i didn't punch #2 on my second hunt, also less than an hour into it.

• Like 7

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching, even when the wrong thing is legal"

-Aldo Leopold 

One more egg laid today! I've been very careful not to disturb the nest. I only check it out when I know she's moved on feeding.

I don't know how she is going to be able to sit on that nest for 28 days without me bumping her? I will have to cut my lawn eventually!

IMG_20190513_194423384.jpg

• Like 3

Hunt when I can.. ;)

26 minutes ago, 2012_taco said:

One more egg laid today! I've been very careful not to disturb the nest. I only check it out when I know she's moved on feeding.

I don't know how she is going to be able to sit on that nest for 28 days without me bumping her? I will have to cut my lawn eventually!

IMG_20190513_194423384.jpg

Pretty darn neat!

• Like 1

Back at it in the AM, this bird has to make a mistake soon or I'm going to find a dumber one. I'm trying a decoy tomorrow, a lone hen on the gas line he roosts over

• Like 3

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg