A Sad Message From My Senator

New York State has gained 1.1 million private sector jobs since 2010, but 88% of them were created downstate. Upstate New York as a whole created 53,000 fewer jobs than Brooklyn alone during that same period. As the economy worsened, more people left. 42 upstate counties have lost population since 2010 totaling 93,000 people. Why are they leaving? To me, the answer is clear. According to the Tax Foundation, a Washington DC tax policy research organization New Yorkers pay more tax per-captia than any other state. This impact is particularly pernicious upstate where income growth is more stagnant. This crisis of high taxes and population loss is a double whammy. 

Enter the New York City Democrats and their agenda in the State Legislature. The recent State Budget proves that sometimes the proposed cure can be worse than the disease. Eager to spend more on progressive programs my colleagues in the Senate Democrat majority working with Governor Cuomo raised taxes by billions. They hit sick folks with a prescription drug tax, car renters with a 6% fee, those who purchase on the internet with a new tax and they even slapped a fee on your grocery bags. This is the opposite of what we need and ignores the crisis we face. 

To make matters worse Governor Cuomo and his allies made bizarre choices in this budget. They spent $27 million for tuition assistance for illegal immigrants. They lowered jail sentences on these same folks to prevent lawful deportation and they forever changed our criminal justice system to help criminals while putting law abiding citizens at greater risk. 

No one is leaving New York because we don't pass enough progressive policies. People are leaving because the state isn't affordable and upstate in particular lacks economic opportunity. 

The Democrats who are running our state are absolutely tone deaf to the real challenges and needs of our region. Secure in their colloquial cacoons, they imagine a more utopian world and ignore reality. 

If you thought the budget and the first three months of this legislative session were bad-wait till you see what's coming. Legalization of prostitution and marijuana, farm worker legislation that will bankrupt farms, free health care for illegal immigrants and government run healthcare that will bankrupt the entire state. 

I urge all people of good will in our region-Democrat or Republican, Liberal or Conservative, to come together to stop what’s happening. Engaged citizens holding their elected leaders accountable can still stop this train from running over all of us. This is not a choice between left and right, it’s a choice between hope and insanity, growth and stagnation, common sense and doctrinaire ideology. Our time is not finished in upstate New York but the hour is late. These are the times that try men's souls. 

And he didn't even mention Cuomo's $ 250,000 Salary/Raise

1 hour ago, Cabinboy said:

Cuomo is trying hard to top California as the biggest s*** hole in the Country.

I'm leaving this state in 2 or 3 yrs and I know others who are too.I just don't see any hope for this state and can't afford to wait and hope things will get better.

Right behind you in 2-4 years. Where are you headed to? We’re going to check out the southern VA/northern NC area next week.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Right behind you in 2-4 years. Where are you headed to? We’re going to check out the southern VA/northern NC area next week.

i'm  in the same boat under the three year mark.but have no clue where to go I hate heat and humidity love hunting and fishing and shooting.i've looked into Tennessee but it gets mixed reviews from the people that actually lived there.also my family is here so i'd like to stay close.

2 hours ago, Cabinboy said:

Cuomo is trying hard to top California as the biggest s*** hole in the Country.

I'm leaving this state in 2 or 3 yrs and I know others who are too.I just don't see any hope for this state and can't afford to wait and hope things will get better.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rachunter said:

i'm  in the same boat under the three year mark.but have no clue where to go I hate heat and humidity love hunting and fishing and shooting.i've looked into Tennessee but it gets mixed reviews from the people that actually lived there.also my family is here so i'd like to stay close.

We're going to check out the Clarksville, VA area. Either side of the border of NC. Not looking to live on the water, but within 20-30 minutes of it. Ideally with about 20-30 acres that a soon to be old dude can hunt on. 

Who am I kidding, I'm already an old dude! 

Real estate taxes are 1/12th of what they are here in New Yorkistan.

Clarksville-Airiel-View-950x255_c.jpg

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 3

With every new law,like above my wife pressures me more and more to move out of NYS . Many friends and relatives already left , one of the last couples we hang with a lot, is building in Tenn. she called last night, the lot next to them is for sale .....

One thing keeps me here our two daughters , and if we could get them to move ,I’d be gone ASAP .

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rachunter said:

Look into the mountains of western North Carolina. Top notch hunting and fishing opportunities, plenty of public land, low taxes, no Safe Act,  cool summer breezes, just a bit of snow in the winter but green grass and flowers by march. 

I'll meet you there in just a few short years. Though I do love NY, I hate what Dictator Cuomo and his merry band of downstate snowflakes have done to it. I honestly can't afford to retire here.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

We have already bought 75 acres in the southeast corner of Ohio ,right across the river from Kentucky .Prime deer habitat .

I know you guys won't believe this but the taxes are only 176.00 a year.

• Like 6

My elderly parents don't want to leave just yet. I'll stay for them. Theyv'e stuck with me for 60 years, so I'll stick with them. OTOH, their granddaughters just moved to SC and the married one is looking forward to her own family. That might be a game-changer for the whole family. There's no turmoil, but I sense the flux capacitor is working hard here. I'll do what's necessary to take care of my folks wherever they go. The nieces and the kids will be fine.

• Like 3

Three years from now, when I start collecting Social Security, I'll end all work relationships and sell my NY home and the property I rent.  All the proceeds will be deposited in the bank and so will my SS checks.  I'll get a debit card and pay any bills online.  I'm gonna buy a custom Sprinter van, or maybe the big Ford van, and hit the road for at least a year, living out of the van.  I don't have a wife, so I'm free to do anything I like.  I have a daughter in Oregon, one in SC and a son in Texas now.  I have friends and relatives in half the states in this country too.  The plan is to see the USA, and all my peeps while investigate where I want to land for the rest of my life.

I'm leaning towards the western mountains of NC now, but you never know where the trail will take you.  I'll start out in late spring heading north to Maine, then cross the northern states for the summer, heading west to Washington and Oregon.  From there head south in the fall, staying completely out of California, as I have no desire to even visit there, much less live there, then cruise the southern states for the winter.  I don't plan on seeing all the states, but I will see about 3/4 of them in that year.

Depending on how it goes, I'll either buy a place at the end of that year, or just do it again for a 2nd year.  I actually find the idea of being a drifter very appealing.  I should be quite the experience.

NY was supposed to be the place I stayed to the end, but these Progressive Leftist Marxists are completely intolerable to a man born free and determined to stay that way. 

• Like 7

On 4/3/2019 at 4:48 PM, Cabinboy said:

We have already bought 75 acres in the southeast corner of Ohio ,right across the river from Kentucky .Prime deer habitat .

I know you guys won't believe this but the taxes are only 176.00 a year.

taxes on any property that has been bought with after tax dollars is a sin and crime against liberty. But, that said, this sounds like the next best thing

• Like 1

As regards the OP, any attack on rural communities is actually classic UN agenda 21 policy. They want all peoples crammed into urban centers. These are not just idiotic polices, they are quite deliberate. In the future, anyone wanting a rural existence is going to have to be 110% self sufficient and self reliant. 

Edited by The_Field_Ager

People with rural or even exurban lives and lifestyles are much more difficult to influence and control. And people in cities can't even target practice in their back yards, so that's an added bonus.

Always keep in mind that the primary goal of a Leftist is control. They want the power to tell others how to live. They have zero interest in making the country better in any way. They just want to control it.

Watch closely any of the idiots currently queuing for the 2020 race. Out of the mouths of every one of them what you'll hear every couple of sentences is, 'This is what you should do as a voter, and this is how you should all live.' They're not even trying to hide it any more. They've become very open and bold about it since Bernie opened that door. Now it's all the rage and the kids love it. I find it terrifying.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I spent a few days exploring around southwest Virginia last week/weekend. Weather and season wise, they're about 3-4 weeks ahead of us. I took a strong liking to the general Roanoke area. Took a couple of drive-bys of houses that were listed for sale, and walked some of the property of the ones that were vacant. Nice area, friendly people, Blue Ridge Mountains in the western views, and Smith Mountain Lake 30 mins away for water fun. Best of all, reasonable housing prices and dirt-cheap property taxes. For example, we drove by one place for sale - 62 acres, 2200 sq. ft. house in relatively good condition, and a 60 x 40 ft pole barn along with a two car garage. Annual taxes were $1240. That's probably an annual $12k+ in NYS.

And just for Andy - 80 degrees and sunny there today.

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 2