Road maim

left field

Driving home over a mountain road tonight I saw a skunk ambling across my lane. Normally I don’t swerve at night as I rather kill an animal than lose control on a gravel road but I didn’t want skunk on my truck so I made a quick left and right and just missed him. Thirty seconds later my wife screamed as a deer crashed into my door and scraped his way down my car. 

The joys of country driving.   

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Slight dent and a bit of a scrape running along the side. It’s my fishing truck so not too fussed. 

My wife wanted to go back and look for the deer  but I didn’t fancy searching the dark for a deer. I hope he’s okay.  

I’m sure the skunk is laughing his ass off. 

Edited by left field
  • Like 1

I've killed more deer with vehicles than many hunters have done hunting. 26 total now and I'm sure it will go up with more time.  Worse year was 2012 I hit 5 total that year only original steel left on car was the trunk lid. I would rather hit game than swerve off and wreck.. learned long ago to step on gas when strike is unavoidable as front of vehicle will rise forcing game under vehicle vs sliding up over hood and through windshield...   glad no one was hurt and sound like minimal damage..

20 minutes ago, G-Man said:

I've killed more deer with vehicles than many hunters have done hunting. 26 total now and I'm sure it will go up with more time.  Worse year was 2012 I hit 5 total that year only original steel left on car was the trunk lid. I would rather hit game than swerve off and wreck.. learned long ago to step on gas when strike is unavoidable as front of vehicle will rise forcing game under vehicle vs sliding up over hood and through windshield...   glad no one was hurt and sound like minimal damage..

Wow, that is a ton.   Most of the time, I try and minimize the use of my brakes (have about 70k miles on the factory ones on my car now), but I make an exception for deer.  I have had hundreds of close calls, but never hit one hard enough to damage my vehicle.   The car that I have now (Chevy sonic) is by far the best "deer dodger" that I have had.   It will stop on a dime, is extremely agile, and really sticks to the road in the turns.   I have lightly tagged a few deer with it, but never hard enough to make a dent or hurt the animal.  If I used my pickup truck, to drive back and forth to work everyday, I would have surely pummeled over a dozen.  On the curvy road which I travel, I would also need to add about 10 minutes to my commute time and burn more than double the fuel.             

25 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Wow, that is a ton.   Most of the time, I try and minimize the use of my brakes (have about 70k miles on the factory ones on my car now), but I make an exception for deer.  I have had hundreds of close calls, but never hit one hard enough to damage my vehicle.   The car that I have now (Chevy sonic) is by far the best "deer dodger" that I have had.   It will stop on a dime, is extremely agile, and really sticks to the road in the turns.   I have lightly tagged a few deer with it, but never hard enough to make a dent or hurt the animal.  If I used my pickup truck, to drive back and forth to work everyday, I would have surely pummeled over a dozen.  On the curvy road which I travel, I would also need to add about 10 minutes to my commute time and burn more than double the fuel.             

LOL  ,they're brakes ,you take cheap to a new level . 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

It's just a matter of time for me  as I drive about 3k a month mostly high speed nights. To and from work. Through high deer density areas.. 

2 hours ago, G-Man said:

Man, you gotta hold the record that nobody wants to have!!!!

I've hit four deer altogether. In 45 years of driving. But have had dozens of close calls. Just plain lucky I guess. And live in an area with not too high of deer density.

3 minutes ago, grampy said:

Man, you gotta hold the record that nobody wants to have!!!!

I've hit four deer altogether. In 45 years of driving. But have had dozens of close calls. Just plain lucky I guess. And live in an area with not too high of deer density.

It's my drive time and distances.. only hit 1 before hiring on railroad...

• Like 1

i had to slam into the brakes the other day for an otter.  He came across a little back road about a mile from the house.  Swampy spot with a culvert.  Saw movement and i just missed him  and a big one.  Havent seen one in quite a while, might go over there and check it out to see if there is a few.  Years ago one day trout fishing i sat and watched three of them swimming and playing around for about 1/2 hour. 

• Like 2