doing anything different with your meat?

Robhuntandfish

9 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

We've been making so much sausage it has been two years since I canned any up and I am finally out. I will be putting up some more this year for sure. 

Yes Bob, I need to do some canning this year too.  I think 2017 is the last year I did a batch........

Don't forget the nuts.  You are really not a true Steve Rinella fan until you fry up some of those in butter with lots of pepper. 
tip: cut a little slit in them first so they do not "explode" in the frying pan. 

Serious question. Are mature buck nuts less juicy/jizzy post-rut?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rachunter said:

Going to try making liverwurst this year.I'd also like to try the tongue.Other then that just the normal cuts.

A co-worker of mine used to make liverwurst....Perhaps he still does, I have not seen him in years...

Anyway, he told that he had never seen anything quite as disgusting as putting a fresh liver through a meat grinder...

But then again, he probably never dated some of the girls that I grew up with....

Edited by Pygmy

11 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Anyway, he told that he had never seen anything quite as disgusting as putting a fresh liver through a meat grinder...

About every other year I make liver glaze (liver dumpling) soup out of beef liver.  It's an old recipe from my grandmother dating back to the early 40's.

I buy frozen sliced beef liver and proceed to grind it up.......it's got to be about the most disgusting thing you'll ever witness. 

The finished product is delicious!

• Like 1

A co-worker of mine used to make liverwurst....Perhaps he still does, I have not seen him in years...
But then again, he probably never dated some of the girls that I grew up with....

I have made venison liverwurst twice and each time the grinding step is brutal. Between the smell and the sight and the sound...it is enough to put you off the final product.
I would like to make venison salami like the bartender in Coppola’s gave me three years ago now-we were there for Culinary Institute on someone’s suggestion from here we were at Coppola’s for pre and post dinner drinks. His venison salami was the highlight of the weekend

Old guy at work was describing his canning process for venison today , yuck . Fill a jar 3/4 of the way with meat and pour salt over the meat , cap and let it breakdown in it own juices . The depression is over ,just grill the damn thing i told him.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Wow whole rear quarters.  Does it come out dry?  Have to brine it a bunch first?  Cook one up for a BBQ like brisket or pulled pork?  Never heard of doing them like that. 

pretty much what i did with diff seasoning and used electric smoker.

9 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

About every other year I make liver glaze (liver dumpling) soup out of beef liver.  It's an old recipe from my grandmother dating back to the early 40's.

I buy frozen sliced beef liver and proceed to grind it up.......it's got to be about the most disgusting thing you'll ever witness. 

The finished product is delicious!

9 hours ago, Pygmy said:

8 hours ago, crappyice said:

I have made venison liverwurst twice and each time the grinding step is brutal. Between the smell and the sight and the sound...it is enough to put you off the final product.
I would like to make venison salami like the bartender in Coppola’s gave me three years ago now-we were there for Culinary Institute on someone’s suggestion from here we were at Coppola’s for pre and post dinner drinks. His venison salami was the highlight of the weekend

I was going to semi freeze it like I do with chicken cutlets and fish.Maybe i'll just stick with frying it with apples and onions. 

Edited by rachunter

I was going to semi freeze it like I do with chicken cutlets and fish.Maybe i'll just stick with frying it with apples and onions. 

I only grind everything partially frozen- with liver it doesn’t matter!!! Thankfully there’s a lot of wait time after the grinding before the eating which make the frightful sights and smells dissipate

16 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I'll let you try some of mine if you want to. There is no reason that it can't be frozen and then thawed and canned. If you like it then you can do a bunch. Cut the pieces in stew meat size and freeze. 

Out of likes... I know I would like it and I love cooking and canning ...its a win win

We'll be doing a batch of sausage before the season to make some room in the freezers.  Mostly original recipe -Italian with crushed red and fresh herbs.  I also want to try to make kielbasa.  Ill post the kielbasa results (pass or fail).  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wolc123 said:

Don't forget the nuts.  You are really not a true Steve Rinella fan until you fry up some of those in butter with lots of pepper. 

tip: cut a little slit in them first so they do not "explode" in the frying pan. 

he's tried them, he doesn't eat them with every kill. That's the biggest difference between eating the heart and liver. He's tried kidney too and doesn't eat it much going forward either. organs and glands are not the same.

15 hours ago, wolc123 said:

Don't wanna bust a nut in the frying pan.