Crossbow tease

Borngeechee

Ten point doesn’t even make a NYS legal Xbow.

Excaliber only makes one legal model.

Not saying I would drop $2,500 on a new Xbow but I wish it was my choice not NYS choice.

Edited by mike103

6 minutes ago, mike103 said:

Not saying I would drop $2,500 on a new Xbow but I wish it was my choice not NYS choice.

Wholeheartedly agree that we should have our choice, but TP does offer NY legal xbows in their Wicked Ridge line.  I picked up the WR Warrior Ultra Lite and saw no reason to spend double or triple the money on TP's Ravin-like xbows.  Each will kill a deer just as dead.  

Just because something isn't legal to hunt with in the God Forsaken state of NY, doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to sell it.  You can still use it on targets or out of state.  

I encourage the sale of these crossbows in NY.  It will get more people to ask why you can't hunt with them.

• Like 1

Yes I’m aware of the Wicked Ridge Line and agree that they will kill a deer.

But we still should be able in NYS to hunt with the best technology not last years model.

We all know you don’t need a 300 Win mag to kill a deer and that a 243 will do the job but each year many hunters go out over gunned because that’s what they want to do. And if that means buying a $2,500 dollar Xbow then good for them.

And every American should do what he/ she wants to do.

We have a small group of people forcing their idea of hunting on to the rest of us and that’s just un-American.

Part of the current Bill for new crossbow legislation, will do away with the 17 inch axle to axle limitation. As well as up the poundage that could be used. And make it mandatory to have archery certification. Hopefully it will pass in the coming year with enough political support. As this issue is more political than common sense. No surprise in NY, right?

That said, not many hunters out there with a $2500 deer rifle, or compound bow!  Even if crossbow regs do get passed, I wouldn't spend that much for a crossbow myself! The two lower cost ones I have now, will kill deer just as dead!

• Like 1

I have been using my Cabelas card for large purchases and racking up points.

I figured at the rate I’m going I’ll get a $2,500 Xbow for free in five years but by then the expensive ones will be 5k.

But by the time the law is changed I’ll be dead and have 20K available in Cabelas points.

Gotta love this state.

Part of the current Bill for new crossbow legislation, will do away with the 17 inch axle to axle limitation. As well as up the poundage that could be used. And make it mandatory to have archery certification. Hopefully it will pass in the coming year with enough political support. As this issue is more political than common sense. No surprise in NY, right?
That said, not many hunters out there with a $2500 deer rifle, or compound bow!  Even if crossbow regs do get passed, I wouldn't spend that much for a crossbow myself! The two lower cost ones I have now, will kill deer just as dead!

$2500 for my rifle would be highway robbery. Hell my optics are near that and the rifle alone is well over that.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

$2500 for my rifle would be highway robbery. Hell my optics are near that and the rifle alone is well over that.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

You are the exception not the rule, I think? Of course some hunt with very expensive, multi thousand dollar hunting rifles. Most do not. Even fewer would take rifles like that, and drag them through brush, and expose them to the elements. But some do!

On bad weather days, the Savage gets the call over my Sako.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mike103 said:

Ten Point does offer a NYS legal Crossbow.  Not Wicked Ridge.  Just contact your ten point dealer and he will give you the specifics.

• Like 1

Just so we're all clear. The DEC's definition of a Xbow's min width is NOT the same as a Xbow mfger's advertised width spec of Axle-Axle!!! The DEC's regulation refers to overall width, uncocked. EX - Lots of advertised 15" A-A (compound-ish) Xbows might well fall within the DEC's requirement when outside width is considered. FYI - Recurve Xbows are not the only legal ones in NYS that meet the width requirement!

DEC width reg (From 2019-20 regs booklet):

Crossbow—consists of a bow, a string, and either
compound or recurve limbs with a minimum width
of 17 inches (tip of limbs, uncocked),.......

The history of this width reg goes back to what we currently have as Xbow hunting regs and to 2014. This min width was an attempt by the anti-Xbow lobbyist to eliminate the reverse draw type of compound Xbow from being allowed.

Lecture over.. lol

Edited by nyslowhand

12 hours ago, grampy said:

Of course some hunt with very expensive, multi thousand dollar hunting rifles. Most do not. Even fewer would take rifles like that, and drag them through brush, and expose them to the elements. But some do!

On bad weather days, the Savage gets the call over my Sako.

If the cost of the rifle is high because it's pretty, I'd agree few will hunt with them in adverse conditions.  However, my Kimber rifles go for $1500 or more and may carry a scope worth $500.  The cost of these rifles is high because they are light, have stainless steel barreled actions and stocks made of Kevlar composite.  They are made to shrug off being dragged through brush or carried in the most adverse conditions.  Add to that the quality trigger, match chambering and match accurate air gauged barrel, and you see why they cost so much.  But in this case the cost produces a very accurate, effective, element resisting hunting rifle, that you want to carry in the worst weather.

22 hours ago, rag742 said:

Ten Point does offer a NYS legal Crossbow.  Not Wicked Ridge.  Just contact your ten point dealer and he will give you the specifics.

I looked thru the specs on the Ten Point bows and they don’t look like they comply with NYS laws but I might be reading it wrong.

Please point out the models that do comply.