Favorite off the shelf 7mm-08 ammo

moog5050

Going to try to get my tikka T3X light 7m-08 sighted in and may have the Quigley ford scope made for it.  Looking for manufactured ammo (I don't reload) that has performed well on game and has shown to be accurate.  Obviously I will need to try a few but hoping some of you can get me started with ammo that has worked well for you.  Thanks

1 minute ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Killed a bunch of deer with that bullet, they shoot good in all 3 of my 7mm-08’s and they perform awesome on game. Never shot the factory ammo always reloads but I couldn’t be happier with the bullet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

which bullets do you prefer?  I suppose I could work backwards from the bullet to full manufactured loads.

1 minute ago, letinmfly said:

Federal Premium 140gr Nosler Parttion

I’ve killed a bunch of deer with that bullet and not one ran more than 30 yards.  Most fell where they stood.  Great performance out of this particular round. IMO

For sure one I was looking at.  Of course its the most expensive of the options.  lol

Moog I use Federal Fusion 140 gr. Factory ammo in my 7mm-08. Every deer I have shot with it have been 1 shot behind the shoulder kills including the 8 pt. Buck I bagged this year. My son shoots Federal Fusion in his .308 and bagged a 7 pt. Buck and a doe this year with one shot behind the shoulder kills. Federal Fusion ammo is also very accurate and not too expensive.                  valoroutdoors.com 

• Like 3

I have tried many different brands of 7mm-08 ammo.

The most accurate, and devastating performance combination I found, is the Federal Premium Nosler B T in 140 gr.

What's not to love about this combination? DRT performance on deer. Very little recoil. Cloverleaf groups at 100 yards.

• Like 1

Never have shot factory ammo in my 7mm-08. I have great success with Nosler 140 grain Ballistic Tips. I switched to the same weight Accubonds several years ago, when the chance of shooting a bear became a legitimate possibility in NY and Pennsylvania during deer season.

Will

2 hours ago, CharlieNY said:

Moog I use Federal Fusion 140 gr. Factory ammo in my 7mm-08. Every deer I have shot with it have been 1 shot behind the shoulder kills including the 8 pt. Buck I bagged this year. My son shoots Federal Fusion in his .308 and bagged a 7 pt. Buck and a doe this year with one shot behind the shoulder kills. Federal Fusion ammo is also very accurate and not too expensive.                  valoroutdoors.com 

I second this. Even the bear I shot didn't go 20 yards.

• Like 1

thinking i'm kind of a fan of the 120gr Hornady reduced recoil loads. Only because it seems to shoot well and my mentee did well with them. if it were me just shooting the gun i'd go with the bigger chunk of copper or at least not as slow. 120gr barnes makes sense.

When I can find them on the shelf, this seems to go pretty well through my NULA
Winchester Ballistic silver tips.
https://winchester.com/Products/Ammunition/Rifle/Ballistic-Silvertip/SBST708

Before I switched to copper that was my favorite bullet, shot well in every gun I tried them in and killed critters very dead!

On 12/9/2019 at 12:32 PM, CharlieNY said:

i liked it too - until this season when i pulled the trigger and it didnt go bang.  Fusion - 30-06.  Misfire - bad round.  

42 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

When I can find them on the shelf, this seems to go pretty well through my NULA

Winchester Ballistic silver tips.

https://winchester.com/Products/Ammunition/Rifle/Ballistic-Silvertip/SBST708

Very close, and almost identical to the Nosler BT.

Dinsdale sent me a bunch of the Winchester silver tips for reloading. I used them for practice, and they shot exactly where the BT's did.

Very close, and almost identical to the Nosler BT.
Dinsdale sent me a bunch of the Winchester silver tips for reloading. I used them for practice, and they shot exactly where the BT's did.

They could be the same bullet, a few years ago I couldn’t find any and called Winchester and was told they didn’t make the bullet it was made by a separate company and they were having contract issues. I’ve never shot a Nosler bullet but I’ve looked at the BY’s and they look to be the same bullet.