Snacking/eating

Dom

I like to call Dominoes. 30 minutes or less or it's free. I just leave him a scent-lok suit to put on before he wheels it out on the 4 wheeler.. LOL.. or if i have to fend for myself then i always pack power bars, cereal bars and sandwiches. Most days i hunt are all day ventures. Even if i'm just slipping out for a short sit i still make sure i have some food and drink. Never know how long your going to be in the woods if you shoot something and have to track and haul. Always head to the stand with the expectation that success is happening today.

A little dry sausage or suprasod (sp).......deer seem to like it and I sure do enjoy it. We got a lot of Italian deer in dutchess.

Sopressata !!? You belong in my hunting camp. A lil vino, provolone, roasted peppers, sopressata,fresh semolina itlaian bread. Then comes dinner. Italian Deer camp is the best !! We gain 20 pounds by the end of hunting season.

Our older guys who can't get around like they used to don't hunt as much so they come up and cook. Homemade pizza, calzones, minestrone soup, pasta fagioli. If someone gets a deer it's sauteed back straps in olive oil and garlic, venison parm. I know it's awful. LOL

I'm a little bit surprised how many of you eat in the woods, normally 2-3 bottles of water will do for me for a long hours. If I'm pulling all day thing I just walk out for lunch, nature calls, etc. If I want to eat I go to the restaurant not into the woods, lol

I'm a little bit surprised how many of you eat in the woods, normally 2-3 bottles of water will do for me for a long hours. If I'm pulling all day thing I just walk out for lunch, nature calls, etc. If I want to eat I go to the restaurant not into the woods, lol

Here's the deal for me, and these comments are aimed at the heavy parts of gun season. I know that guys will be getting up out of their stands anywhere between 10:00 and 1:00. They will begin a massive drive as they move toward the roads to go out and eat. I want to be there when that happens as there is a secondary burst of deer movement. Having a pile of food and drinks to get me through the hours when most hunters allow hunger and boredom to drive them from the woods allows me to be one of the standers while they all serve as drivers. No food, and I become one of the drivers. Not good....for me.

Well, it's not for everybody, and I do understand that some like to take a break at some point. Particularly if you are part of a group. I also will say that for most of the season, action is so light that I resort to a lot of still-hunting that eventually leads back to the house and a nice warm meal. No need to pack a pile of food on those days. But on opening day, I go out like I am setting up camp ...... lol.

And like doc said it's because of hunters like you that we sit tight with our food and wait for you guys to push that bedded buck right to us. But everyone is different.

I usually take a thermos of hot water, oat meal packs, instant coffee, cup of noodles, and snacks. Nothing like something warm when its cold out. Two years ago I got a late start because the two chain saws I was hunting with kept me up all night. Filled my thermos with hot water and ran out the door. I landed in a spot I checked out the day before. Had my oat meal, my instant coffee, and some cookies. Was done eating buy 8am and done hunting by 8:30 am after I shot a 6 pointer. back on th couch by 10 am wondering whats for lunch.

I have had this traditional hunting lunch packed for 30 years in a row .... some potted meat sandwiches some kind of peanut butter bar, and trail mix and granola bars and a couple bottles of water .. i keep a clean gallon jug in the stand incase i gotta goooooooooooooooo .. that comes out on exit of the day and new clean one brought back in the next morning .. i hunt from dark to dark

I have to have a drink and now I am off the dew it is usually tea or apple juice.

I also always have a bag of apples in the truck and grab one for my pack every time I head out. The other needed item is some granola bars.

If I am out all day I will pack a sandwitch or two as well.

Also need the sunflower seeds.