Drew first blood on Saturday

RangerClay

About 8:15 on Saturday morning a flock of turkeys walked into my food plot. Unfortunately this hen stopped at 18 yards. THWACK!! The 100gr. NAP Gobbler Getter planted her right on the spot. I was trying the Gobbler Getter for the first time. They claim it has more knock down power. Man were they ever correct.

Sorry this one from the food plot is a little fuzzy. I took it with my phone.

rangerclay-albums-more-pics-picture10746-2011-archery-turkey-1.jpg

rangerclay-albums-more-pics-picture10747-2011-archery-turkey-2.jpg

No these broadheads are not barbed. Plus, and I'm not sure about this, but I believe the barbed rule applies only to deer hunting.

My set-up is a 2010 Hoyt Turbohawk, set at 65#, CX Maxima Hunters, Tru-Fire Hurricane buckle foldback, NAP Gobbler Getter broadheads, Extreme RT 900 sight.

Nope it's not going on the Thanksgiving table. My daughter asked me if I would grill the breasts for her birthday dinner in 2 weeks.

Edited by RangerClay

Congrats on the bird. I understand WNYBuckHunter said they aren't barbed or illegal, BUT, according to NAP's website they do lock back which would consider them barbed. If the law is different for turkey hunting I would like to know. Im just trying to play by the books. THis is how they describe the product.

NAP SpitFire Gobbler Getter 3-Blade 100 Grain Broadhead - 3pk

Spitfire is undoubtedly the most trusted name in mechanical broadheads! Spitfires fly straight with pinpoint accuracy and preform better than any other mechanical thanks to the sharpest Diamizeᆰメ blades, and they stand up under the toughest conditions.

• Patented Silver Bullet Point
  • The patented scooped out Slimlineï ferrule improves flight and penetration.
  • Patented snap-locking blade system holds the blades closed during flight, even out of today's fastest bows - no rubber bands needed

Congrats on the bird. I understand WNYBuckHunter said they aren't barbed or illegal, BUT, according to NAP's website they do lock back which would consider them barbed. If the law is different for turkey hunting I would like to know. Im just trying to play by the books. THis is how they describe the product.

Spitfire is undoubtedly the most trusted name in mechanical broadheads! Spitfires fly straight with pinpoint accuracy and preform better than any other mechanical thanks to the sharpest Diamizeᆰメ blades, and they stand up under the toughest conditions.

• Patented snap-locking blade system holds the blades closed during flight, even out of today's fastest bows - no rubber bands needed

Actually that says that the system holds the blades closed during flight, not open after deployment.

Read this again!! I holds the blades CLOSED!! They do not lock open!!

In fact if anything, they lock shut after they pass through. When i picked up my arrow the blades were closed back up. I assumed that it failed to open till I saw the wound and read this from the NAP web site.

1. Spitfires will open, NO MATTER WHAT
    The design of the Spitfire GUARANTEES that they will open, at any shot angle. Even closed the Spitfire blade is already partially open, so it has to continue to open when the target touches the blades. They WILL slam shut after passing thru a target and hitting the dirt. There will be a little dent in the aluminum ferrule where the back of the blade rests when the head is in the full open position. In the 12 years that this head has been on the market, we have not had a SINGLE failure of the Spitfire not opening.

Edited by RangerClay