Fireplace Removal

Team Hoyt

Ok guys, currently in the middle of doing a remodel of my house. We had a fireplace that we are removing and studding a wall in front of it. What's a good way to fill the opening?  We will try to remove the insert. And eventually the outside chimney will be removed.

20200227_141525.jpg

I'm sure the fireplace is a good amount of support for that wall. Make sure to add studs to make up for removing the brick.  

I'd cap the top of the chimney, then stuff insulation in the fireplace. Maybe cut a sheet to fit the opening and seal with great stuff foam? 

Hard to tell from the pictures but basically you will remove the fireplace brick and insert. Once that’s out you can frame in new 2x’s to fill the opening then insulated and drywall.

You may need a small header to span 2x if they don’t go all the way to the floor. Take some pictures as you go along and I will keep checking this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

You may need a small header to span 2x if they don’t go all the way to the floor. 

... or just install new full height studs & forget about trying to frame in the void left once FP is out.

Edited by nyslowhand

... or just install new full height studs & forget about trying to frame in the void left once FP is out.

Yes that’s a good option as well depending on how it’s done. If it’s just sistering a new stud next to the old it does cut the stud cavity down by 1.5 inches allowing for more heat transfer through the wall but in reality it’s not a lot. Only talking a few cavity spaces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

My wife is a realtor and she loses her mind when someone removes a fireplace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Remove everyone , insurance loves to jack your rate because you have one.. and 90% of time they are unused .

Yeah I removed it to be level with the plank wall. It already leaks, so any day now my roofing guy is removing it below the roof line. Figure I'm studding a new wall in since double planks have no insulation. I'm going to put 3/4" plywood on the backside just incase a brick or something comes loose when we eventually remove the whole chimney for siding. Hate for it to go thru new drywall 

• Like 1