Bucher or do it yourself??

BucktheBuck30-06

I take mine to a butcher. Saves alot of time, and prices are generally based on size of deer. I use to do my own, but my gf gets freaked out by the lil bit of hair i forget or overlook..... If temps are right, i leave them hanging for a few days, then take them in.

Lol no offense but the amount of time you save or in my case don't save is based on the person skinning the deer.I can {and im not bragging im shure theres better}But i can gut skin and have all the meet of the deer in a half hour and thats not rushing things!I normally gut the deer one day and skin it and all that the next..But Good Luck To All On There Hunting This Year!

I processed my own deer last year, I didn't really know what I was doing, it took a long time and wasn't pretty. Now my gf instituted a "no dead animals in the house" rule so I dropped my deer today off at the butcher.

I have less to worry about with problems though, my father went to high school with the brothers that own it and they get great reviews as far as using all the meat they can, and giving you back your own deer.

When I think about it the 60 bucks is worth the time I save.

I always do my own, plus maybe 10 a year for friends. I used to have my own processing business, but that got old quickly. A great side business for someone who's aggressive, and doesn't take a lot of money or training to get started.

As far as butchers robbing you or stealing your meat...not saying it doesn't happen. But, there is no way anyone with a stack of deer to process and it's 60 degrees outside operating on 4 hours sleep is going to take the time to pick through every scrap like you would do yourself. You are better off doing it yourself if you want yield, a butcher is really just there for convenience. Realistically, I've found you get 30-35% yield from the live weight of a deer (that means boneless,fatless, and all the silverskin trimmed off),-PROVIDED THE DEER ISN'T SHOT MULTIPLE TIMES.

Edited by Uncle Nicky

I usually take mine to get done. I have done them and no it is not hard but it takes me forever. I am not a trained butcher like the guy I take it to is. I would agree there are a lot of butcher shops I would not bring a deer to but there are good ones. Just like anything else do some research. Actually ask to stay and watch their process. The guy I use I trust and he does a real good job. I also have a second shop I trust that I can use.

It costs me like $65 a deer. Well worth the time to me. I would rather be hunting!

Even though the butchers tag the deer , you aren't guaranteed getting your own deer meat back and I don't want venison from a deer that has been riding around in the back of a pickup truck for a few days . The only butcher that I was pleased with is Sam Pagliuso in Williamson . His wife , daughter , son in law and a couple others worked out of their garage . Sam had to give it up .

A lot of these guys that work out of their garage are good and others stink ! There used to be a place on Hudson Ave that butchered deer and did a good job but closed . A DEC officer stopped in periodically and checked the deer out .

I also realize that a lot of internal damage can ruin meat and it gets wasted . But ........ if I get 51# of meat off of a medium size buck that I butcher and get only 33# ( including Box ) off of a lung shot pass through doe , I feel that I am getting ripped off especially when there isn't much for backstraps ! Say what you will but all of these guys that butcher deer aren't completely honest .

We like to do ourselves gives pops somthing to do.Its as close as he gets, anymore he just cannot get around very well. so when we can we take them up and we cut them with him.HEhas been hunting for the past 65yrs and enjoys when we come to house.He has every thing to do the job.Also has cubeing macheine that works great

Depends on work schedule. Off next day, I cut. Otherwise, goes to the processor. Although I have a good butcher, I prefer to do it myself, you get way more meat than what most guys give. If I get too tired, I'll sometimes section a deer, drop legs & chunks in coolers on ice, and cut a leg or two each day after work.. Nothing like swinging a deer leg around the kitchen to feel really cave manly.. :wild:

I agree with the more meat when you do it yourself. It isn't the butchers fault either. THose guys freezers are so full if they took the time to make every bit count they would never make any money. I have been to a few butchers and they band saw the meat and I hate the bone dust. That is my reason for cutting myself.

I gotta shoot more deer.I need more practice.Took me about 4.5 or 5 hours to do my second butchering job.I trimmed all the fat though and ground 3/4 of her up into burger.(only way my kids will eat it).

I use a torch to get the hair off too.Usually just get hair around the but when skinning.the rest of the body is usually hair free.

do you guys mess with the rib meat.I saw in a video where a guy pretty much fillayed the meat of the ribs.so i did that and it was mostly fat.Ill just cut the ribs out next time and just cook the ribs like baby back ribs.LOL.

we have been doing ours and family and friends for years....gets a bit old after the 4th one....I do my archery deer by my self from gutting to freezing....why I like to get them early....the doe was made into Jerky and the next doe will be as well...then sausage....of course loins are cut for chops and the back strap is eaten right away

It takes me longer to skin than to quarter a deer

do you guys mess with the rib meat.I saw in a video where a guy pretty much fillayed the meat of the ribs.so i did that and it was mostly fat.Ill just cut the ribs out next time and just cook the ribs like baby back ribs.LOL.

Only if it's a deer I kill. Most guys don't rinse the inside of the cavity out, most of the time the meat inside the ribs is caked with dried blood, and if the guts were hit, stomach or intestine contents might be on this meat too. Truthfully, you'll get about 1# of edible meat out of these rib strips.