Broken racks??

First-light

I hunt in 8P. I have never seen so many bucks, large and small with one side broken or completely missing. This weekend I had an 8 pt with one side broken, just 2 points, and a 10 point completely missing one side. My neighbor has seen so many deer through the years like this, he says it's from fighting? Any thoughts?

If you see them every year and you have a good population of Bucks I would think it's from fighting. Could be from bad genetics or malnutrition but that does not sound like the case in that WMU. That area is known for having high deer populations...

He's been like that since July....... first time I've ever seen it. Hope it's not permanent, he'll be a stud next year if his other side grows in and he lives!

That is definitely pedicle damage which means thats how it will be forever.. unfortunately.. deer will regrow broken antlers if there is no damage to the pedicle... seeing how he has no growth during the antler growing stage its permanent.

Edited by nyantler

And the funny thing is culling strange racked or "ugly" bucks will never change the genetics of an area one way or another. A complete farse of qdma.

Not to mention.. one mans garbage is another mans treasure... many hunters like those strange racks.. especially when they get bigger!

bucks do break racks off fighting but its not as common

as damage to the racks when they are in velvet and the

other common reason is that the antlers are made of calcium

minerals if in a given area certain minerals are lacking it

does make for a weaker antler base as far as what is needed

to make the antlers stronger.I dont know if anyone hunts around

dairy or horse farms but if the farmer put out minerals blocks think

back and I bet there were less broken antlered deer around.