Yee Haw!!!

Lawdwaz

Oh I have missed it several times never really enjoyed it maybe if you had dried it out and turned it into jerky I could stomach that it always kind of reminded me of a science experiment looking at it in a jar like that just saying

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lomax said:

Oh I have missed it several times never really enjoyed it maybe if you had dried it out and turned it into jerky I could stomach that it always kind of reminded me of a science experiment looking at it in a jar like that just saying

Hey..We all have our tastes and preferences......It's all good, My Friend....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

I am very fond of fried spam....Just the other day I made myself a grilled spam and cheese sandwich....

Years ago, when I was doing some wilderness hunting trips, I was always in charge of the chow, and I would pack a few cans of spam, just in case we didn't kill meat in the first couple of days...

You should have seen those boys gobble down that fried spam over a camp stove or a campfire after a long day on the tundra...

I buy the single wrapped slices and use them for backpacking. End of a long day and many miles, damn its good stuff.

• Like 2

Can’t get past the thought.  And this still haunts me relating to canned meat. In 8th grade I believe we chunked up some woodchuck, put in a mason jar , then climbed up atop of a local elementary school and put that jar right on the roof.  Summer passes , fall trapping season is upon us. Buddies and I climb back up to check our “ fox dirt hole magic “ one of us peer in jar and there’s stuff moving in it. Freaked us the f out. Looked like some giant worm like creatures.  One guy dropped the jar on the graveled roof. Smash followed by the worst smell I’ve ever smelled. Don’t know how nobody threw up but we sure as heck were gagging running away. That smell has never left me. So I’ll pass on canned venison 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Can’t get past the thought.  And this still haunts me relating to canned meat. In 8th grade I believe we chunked up some woodchuck, put in a mason jar , then climbed up atop of a local elementary school and put that jar right on the roof.  Summer passes , fall trapping season is upon us. Buddies and I climb back up to check our “ fox dirt hole magic “ one of us peer in jar and there’s stuff moving in it. Freaked us the f out. Looked like some giant worm like creatures.  One guy dropped the jar on the graveled roof. Smash followed by the worst smell I’ve ever smelled. Don’t know how nobody threw up but we sure as heck were gagging running away. That smell has never left me. So I’ll pass on canned venison 

I’d be spooked too if I experienced that.  

A buddy of mine killed an old moose up in Canada several years ago (the taxidermist aged it at 8.5 years).    The rack was still nice, but definitely on the downward side.   He said that the meat tasted good but was tough, compared to other (younger) moose that he had killed and eaten before.   He thawed out the remaining meat and canned it, using a pressure cooker.    I got to try some of that, over noodles with gravy, while down at his camp during ML season a couple years ago.  It was excellent, probably some of the best-tasting and tenderest wild game meat that I have ever had. 

Canning is a good way to tenderize venison, if you do not have the time or the facilities to properly age it prior to putting it in the freezer.   Many folks don't seem to be bothered by tough meat, but if you are, canning is a good way to soften it.   My venison is too valuable to take a risk on canning it, so I have never done it.  I always worry about the jars not properly sealing and spoilage of the meat.   I have a deer fridge out in the garage, so I always get rid of the rigor mortis by hanging the skinned and cut up carcasses in there, if it is too warm to hang them, with the skin on, in our insulated garage.   Frozen and thawed meat from properly-aged deer is almost as tender as the canned meat out of a jar.    

Another nice bonus of the canned meat, is that you don't have to worry about power failures.  Any time our power goes out for more than an hour, I start the generator and run the first cord to our big freezer in the basement because I don't want to risk loosing our meat.  The sump pump gets the second cord.   After that, I will run a third cord up into the house to a power strip so the wife and kids can have some light and watch TV.          

None of you stuck around to see what the giant worm like creature was!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

None of you stuck around to see what the giant worm like creature was!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We developed a new form of life for sure but once that jar dropped our science experiment was over and competing for the world record time in speed to run a mile was on ! 

I finally convinced judy that we needed to can some venison this year. I told her that she will have to get over the "look" of the canned meat but assured her that if she would just try it she would like it.  we canned my pa buck after we got back to ny. she tried it and  after killing my ny buck she wanted it all canned.

its disappearing quick. yes it takes a little more work but there is no way you will ever have more tender meat, you can do chunked, steaks, and even burger. 

• Like 1

Yes, it is delicious.
We'll do a pot of mashed potatoes, some beef gravy from a package and some corn.  I like to put the meat on top of the potatoes then the gravy.  THEM the secret.........pile on some corn.
For some reason a glass or two of red wine just seems fitting with this meal. 

A deconstructed shepherds pie! Sounds fantastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro