Live From The Woods 2020 Turkey Edition

fasteddie

yeah same boat here. I try my best to get ready for bed by 8:30, but that turns into 9:30 and by the time I really start trying to nodd off it's past 10. And I don't do well on 6 hours of sleep so it kills my day. I know, I know i'm soft but it's still MY reality. 

I’d be ecstatic with 6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

at least know you're not alone. this has been a very odd year. Yeah the conditions haven't been great, but when they are a lot of us still aren't getting the activity we normally do.

I had one fantastic hunt, that’s all I ask of a turkey season.
Nonstop gobbling the entire way in

• Like 1

Went with a buddy of mine to a fresh farm this morning I've never stepped foot on that dirt and as we're walking in I was thinking this is a perfect place for birds to roost and as I tapped him on the shoulder a bird gobbled 50 yards from us we eased back and further away from the bird. Got set up my buddy was adamant about using a decoy so I set that 10 yards in front of me and I moved 20 yards behind the decoy. The bird is still in the tree Goblin his fool head off and a hen starts tree talkin to my left I cover her up with a little tree talk the bird flies down as soon as his feet hit the ground I did a fly down because the whole time the bird was within sight of me and I couldn't do the fly down before he flew down.

I started with some soft calling no response turn up the volume he blasts a gobble directly in front of my buddy as it clears the brush I can see the bird wondering why my buddy's not shooting.

well apparently there was a limb across the birds head from where he was sitting so he had no shot and as soon as that gobbler saw that Decoy he started putting and the last I heard of him he was probably 200 yards away still putting and still running.

So that was it for the gobble talk this morning we tried some trolling got no responses and finished the morning about 10. I'm going to go back tomorrow morning and listen because I did hear three other gobblers so I will try to pinpoint better locations tomorrow morning to try another hunt on Friday.

Hopefully he can fill his tag Friday I'm jonesing to hear a gunshot been listening to birds every day since the 1st of March between here and PA and I'm itching to get back to PA where I can at least carry a gun there.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Alright you talked me into it, I’ll come fire my gun

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Alright you talked me into it, I’ll come fire my gun

You're shameless !!.. However I LIKE your STYLE...Hehehe...

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 1

ive seen them in trees at 11am.  Went into the edge of a field and there was a coyote. 

I like it!  Get a bunch of coyote decoys, find where they're roosting and put them all over, sleep till 10Am! 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I’ve been pizzed about rain , cold, 4 shots of possible birds whacked on property lines and no birds gobbling since first few days. But I went ahead and mounted this just now. Fug it. Daughter n I going in the morning. The payback for the miserable days will be getting one on film of her getting her first. The best is yet to come. Second half of season. Canopy and woods start to pop with greenery and birds start to get more vocal again . 81c9f5250e011080348e7b3e9277f339.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that is a good luck charm. Perfect.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I’d be ecstatic with 6

I’d be ecstatic with 4 in a row , I’m awake every one or two hours and up to, pee at least  3 times from 3AM till I get up. Then there’s the dog who needs to go out around 3 or 4 AM .

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I’d be ecstatic with 4 in a row , I’m awake every one or two hours and up to, pee at least  3 times from 3AM till I get up. Then there’s the dog who needs to go out around 3 or 4 AM .

Tough deal..........

• Like 1

After many days over 2 seasons the turkey gods smiled down upon us. This has been the longest time I needed to get a bird for a newbie turkey hunter. My buddy took a jake on the first day of the season then a nice tom the following Sunday. Now he's hooked! Now I hunt for myself. Last Saturday had 5" of snow and high winds. This weekend looks better.

IMG_20200503_110257544.jpg

IMG_20200503_171234.jpg

• Like 15

6 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Not the first time I’ve swallowed my pride to fish or hunt with Lee, the man knows what he’s doing

Yeah, I shamelessly prostituted myself  fishing for a king salmon invite with Andrew a couple of weeks ago....

He hasn't responded and I feel so CHEAP !!….

• Like 2

6 hours ago, crappyice said:

Question-no idea what I am doing even considering turkey hunting from all the wonderful descriptors today...when “putting birds to bed” do you use the owl hoot to locate them or is the owl for the morning to get them to gobble while on roost(is that a thing)

Both!  They'll shock gobble to owls in the middle of the day too.  You can also yap-yap-yoooowwwwwwwwl coyote style at dark and they'll shock gobble. 

Finished mudding drywall at 10 last night, been sitting against this ancient apple tree for an hour now and altho the songbirds are singing I have yet to hear a gobble.....their breaks are probably frozen shut.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Back at the brother in laws I hear lots of gobbling pretty far away and too much left. They seem to like this spot so I’m going to hang here. That and the fact the the swamp back there is serious and I don’t know my way around yet

• Like 1

A cool crisp morning for sure and dammit it’s getting lighter early.

Not a gobble yet which continues to perplex me. The farmers did finally till they fields which were fallow last year.

Anyone have history on what a turkey would do with that? Part of me is happy because the weeds were getting high making it hard to get a decent setup and also knowing they’ll plant something for the deer is a good sign. Just don’t know if they’ll come out to a freshly tilled field or if it will help, hurt or not matter at all.