fasteddie

Live From The Woods 2020 Turkey Edition

"B" Week Starts today in New Jersey and goes to Friday . I have another Permit and might just go around 8.30am or so as it is no longer raining.  I was going to leave around 3am and decided- Nah- back to Bed!   I am all dressed and my Stuff is all ready. If the rain holds off in the next 90 minutes, I am driving the 23 miles to my spot.  I have a feeling anyone who walked in before Sunrise- (6am) today will be chilled to the Bone and will some be gone. 

Well this sucks - today on local news they said Thursday night into Friday heavy rain with possible flooding.  WTH!  .  Might end up working fri and take Monday off .

1 hour ago, reeltime said:

Holy crap I just witnessed something I have never seen in my 42 years of Turkey scouting.
I was sitting in the truck and my first listening spot I heard a couple gobblers through the wind and rain when I heard what ithought sounded like a turkey being attacked all kinds of squawking and I see something black rolling down the hill. It ended up on the road 50 yards from the truck and I see a turkey running down the middle of the road with a huge red fox 20 ft behind it chasing it.
Ar first I thought it was a hen that had been sitting on a nest as it gets closer to the truck I see the beard swinging and a turkey losing speed Fox still chasing it I start the truck and the fox turned and ran up the bank and a turkey ran past me on theroad and the fox started back down the bank again I started to pull the truck ahead and finally the fox ran up the bank again.
The Turkey continued to run north on the road so I don't know if something happened to the turkey that it couldn't fly or it was still dark enough that it didn't feel comfortable flying but I have no idea where the turkey ended up or what kind of shape he is in.
Am now at spot number 2 listening through the wind and rain and have yet to hear a peep here.
No doubt an interesting scouting trip so far. May have saved a gobblers life just to possibly shoot him later this season.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Ya, don't see that every day. 

Hope Tommy makes it. 

Few years back two buddies of mine called in a tom,  within 5 seconds of the shot a fox tried grabbing the tom.  At first they were so so shocked they kinda froze. Lol.

Fox are very blood this time of year. They have young to feed, and one way or another, they will try. 

Last year on my way to hunt, 4:30AM ish, a tom was walking down route 60 in the pitch dark. A friend told me that if for some reason a tom doesnt get to roost the night before or gets bumped off it will stay on the ground all night, maybe that was the case here?

• Like 1

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

2 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Last year on my way to hunt, 4:30AM ish, a tom was walking down route 60 in the pitch dark. A friend told me that if for some reason a tom doesnt get to roost the night before or gets bumped off it will stay on the ground all night, maybe that was the case here?

Could be...Years ago I was bowhunting elk  near Ocate, New Mexico, and I bumped into a turkey on a trail as I was walking in in full darkness before daylight...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Could be...Years ago I was bowhunting elk  near Ocate, New Mexico, and I bumped into a turkey on a trail as I was walking in in full darkness before daylight...

Did you look up into his eyes?

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

1 minute ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Did you look up into his eyes?

Just the brown one..He was facing away from me...

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

Yup-- and, I have read of this with old time Turkey Hunters sitting around a Campfire and a Gobbler shocks them by walking up the Trail and towards the light of the fire. Pretty sure it was Henry Edwards Davis.

I watched a coyote get a jake once when I was mowing hay and it’s a wonder there are any turkey for us to hunt. The Jake saw the dog started running dog caught up, Jake turned towards him and tried flapping his wings in defense coyote killed him. I was very surprised how little effort the Jake put into the escape. The coyote used more energy dragging him out of the field than he did killing him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was set up near a roost once and a coyote came through and barked in my face for a full 30 seconds, it sounded like a big lab type of bark and then into a howl. He saunters off and not five minutes later a tom starts gobbling right there and flies down like no big deal. He didnt give AF that a coyote was nearby. Or he forgot, which is also possible 

• Like 1

-Mitch Hedberg

I had a Tom gobbling his head off to my left and behind me. And a yote came out to sneak up on my decoys.  Had to scare him off without scaring the turkey. Waving my hands at him as he is in field til he knew something wasn't right. 

No didn't get the gobbler. I call in dar more yotes turkey hunting than I do actual coyote hunting

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

I was messing with a flock of birds in the neighbor's pasture once.  I don't have permission, so I was in the woods leaning back on a bank along a log road, cutting on a diaphragm call and making the tom gobble.  A coyote jumped OVER me from the bank behind me, ran into the pasture and scattered the flock.  I didn't even have a chance to move.  Gun was in my lap.  

I have called in 1 tom, 2 coyotes and a bobcat in that patch of woods over the years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stubborn1VT said:

I was messing with a flock of birds in the neighbor's pasture once.  I don't have permission, so I was in the woods leaning back on a bank along a log road, cutting on a diaphragm call and making the tom gobble.  A coyote jumped OVER me from the bank behind me, ran into the pasture and scattered the flock.  I didn't even have a chance to move.  Gun was in my lap.  

I have called in 1 tom, 2 coyotes and a bobcat in that patch of woods over the years.

I have called in Coyotes Twice + 1 Bocat. All 3 Times, I ripped down my Facemask. The Coyotes Eyes grew Big- while the Bobcat Jumped straight up and then away. Next time, I am Shooting . In New Jersey-- Coyotes can be shot " incidentally" if They are called up while Spring Turkey Hunting.

• Like 1

I could tell Turkey season is close . The Black Flies are out . I went on my 1 1/2 mile walk and was attacked by those darned things on the way home . Black Flies are the main reason that I stopped hunting Turkeys .  I might give it a try this spring though . 

97.3% of statistics are made up
To Err is Human - To Forgive Divine 

Neither of which is Marine Corps Policy !

7 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

I could tell Turkey season is close . The Black Flies are out . I went on my 1 1/2 mile walk and was attacked by those darned things on the way home . Black Flies are the main reason that I stopped hunting Turkeys .  I might give it a try this spring though . 

I had a very bad experience with Black Flies in PA while Spring Turkey Hunting near a Stream. Yeah-- give it another shot this Spring .

Everything good to go. New battery in Thermacell, vest checked , optics on guns good , clothes sprayed with permithrin and hanging to dry , car loaded except guns , checked tags , Samantha n I going to listen local in morning. We thought we lost new place we landed on 2 years ago as guy getting divorced and unsure of who’ll get property but covid slowed that down.  Check back in in the morning.  

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

I had a very bad experience with Black Flies in PA while Spring Turkey Hunting near a Stream. Yeah-- give it another shot this Spring .

2 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Everything good to go. New battery in Thermacell, vest checked , optics on guns good , clothes sprayed with permithrin and hanging to dry , car loaded except guns , checked tags , Samantha n I going to listen local in morning. We thought we lost new place we landed on 2 years ago as guy getting divorced and unsure of who’ll get property but covid slowed that down.  Check back in in the morning.  

Thank you for reminding me to get the thermacell out.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mowin said:

Thank you for reminding me to get the thermacell out.  

I have never used a Thermacell.  I have my camo Sprayed down with Sawyer's and this year for my exposed Neck and around the Calves, I am using- Maggie's Farm- Natural Insect Repellent with Citranella and Lemongrass oil.

I'm on my way up to the property to listen and to set up one of my blinds.....

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Daughter n I just landed to listen.  Peepers , robins , woodcock so far.  

First rip 5:35 

57 gobbles so far 3 different spots. Think. Theu are happy it's not raining...

• Like 2

I've hunted almost everyday of my life.. the rest have been wasted!

5 birds going.  One double n triple gobbling    Gobbling war with another.  Love it    This bird is hot AF 

• Like 3