The PEE buck

nyslowhand

The story:

Wasn't paying attention to the time when entering the woods, but it was 6:45AM when I settled in the stand.

Unbelievable how many sounds you hear in the dark that you wish you could ID.

Around 7:45AM I saw a couple of does (I think) meandering in the woods.

They left, then about 8:30 looked over my right shoulder and saw a doe passing by behind me ~50yds.

She kind of disappeared.

Was just thinking how cold I was and I should start wearing my insulated, camo clothing.

Not that it's pertinent, but I had taken a leak over the side of the stand. Damned coffee!

All of a sudden I hear this sloshing in the boggy areas directly behind me at ~8:45AM.

Looked and saw a buck coming directly towards the stand at ~25yds downwind.

Couldn't move he was ~15yds & still coming straight towards me.

Didn't the fool go directly under the tree stand.

Must have smelt the urine and was there for about a minute.

Doing all kinds of contortions to see where he was going to come out.

Eventually he walked way at ~45deg, now I stood up.

Had a hell of a time getting release attached to loop & watching him.

Drew, bleated at him & shoot at ~18-20yds. Could see the arrow still in him as he ran.

Ran off ~40yds and fell into a large puddle.

Saw the water splashing. He got up & ran another 12-15yds and into another puddle he went.

Never moved after that!!!!!!!!! Waited as long as I could, ~20min.

Don't look so big when they're all wet....

Would have been a decent basket 8pt, but he had no brow tines. Never grew in!

Also had some minor palmation of main beams. Neat little buck, probably 2 1/2 - don't think 3 1/2.

Have photos over the years of other bucks with no brow tines. Genetics....?

So I guess this single occurrence disputes both hunting the wind & the mystic about whether to pee at the stand or not.

Sure had me rattled when he was underneath the stand!!!!

Glad I didn't see him, don't know what I would have done with him at 1yd.

May have let him pass if he hadn't tempted me being so inquisitive & close.

I'm only so-so with a bow. So, many of my shots are at inopportune times and shot placements are less than desirable!

Must admit this was a near perfect quartering away shot. How the hell did I do that???

Between last ribs and broadhead just penetrated the opposite front shoulder. Amaze myself sometimes!!!

post-318-0-89881500-1320267307_thumb.jpg

Wow. Great buck!!!

My buddy's uncle is one of the best deer hunters with a rifle I've ever seen. He killed a buck in the northern zone 20 years in a row, which is more than impressive to me. Most of these were on the stalk but a couple were kills from a treestand. He always told us to pee in a bottle because the smell would spook deer. We did what he told us to do because he was successful doing it this way. I've heard a bunch of stories saying guys just pee out of their stand and it either attracts deer or doesn't affect them at all. I think I might have to give it a try.

My Dad told me a story about peeing in the woods when hunting... Out hunting one day he put his rifle down on a log and turned around to pee, started peeing and a big 6 pointer came into view, he was standing there with the wrong gun in his hand...

To this day, he doesn't put the rifle down when he takes a leak.

Good job. I hope you entered your picture and story into the contest on here. If not you should.

Thanks to all. It was a very exciting hunt!!!

6pt will not win a buck contest and I didn't take the photo with my tag exposed.

There are a lot better bucks taken to date than mine.

To me it's about the experience and not so much about the number of points, body weight or a wall mount.