Legal is legal

Dave

Any deer taken legally is is a trophy. We get too hung up on this site with other peoples ethics. Don't shoot does, Don't shoot small bucks, You should pass on this and pass on that. Only shoot mature bucks. Do you see where I am going with this? Pretty soon we should shoot nothing at all, remember the license you buy from the DEC is for hunting and you can shoot anything that is legal be it a doe, buck, small or large it's your choice. Depending what DMU you are in, so don't have someone rain on your parade if you shoot a small buck if it's what you want it's your choice period. Good luck hunting to everybody.

• Like 2

Be it a big buck, small buck, big doe, small doe. I will have a buck tag and a doe tag in my pocket this season. First thing that might come by my way and gives me a good shot will get shot at. I make NO bones about it. I hunt to kill something for the freezer, so NOTHING will get passed up. If I want to only LOOK at deer I don't need to buy a hunting license to do that.

• Like 2

Today one stepped out in front of me about 20 feet away, I could hit it with a left handed snowball, I had no clear shot at it because a fallen tree was in between us.. I have been telling myself all day that rather than not sitting in the position I should have been (5 feet to the right), I actually just let the buck go because he was too small.. It made me feel better.. Thanks Dave for bringing me back to reality.. LOL!

I'd rather talk about politics and religion. QDM is like world peace, we all " want " it but it will never happen. To each his/her own. My dmp's are my meat in the freezer, my buck tags are my official license to watch deer, and I can tell you IMO, I have seen the coolest things and have gotten my moneys worth by passing on youngins and just being out there. I definitely have a new found respect for wildlife and that's all due to my own standards. I haven't got a buck in 4 years ! I'd be upset if i tagged out first day. No arguments here tho, everybody is entitled to the opinion.

Every Deer killed is a trophy to the person who shot it!! please keep this in mind when you look a some 14 year olds or (anyone's) button buck, or doe or 6pt yearling. If it doesn't meet your own personal standards, congradulate the person in a sincere mannor and just walk away.... I get sick seeing some teliing the person who shot it what did you shoot that dog for? Hey they wanted it they shot it!! Belittling someone only seems to cause more problems than it solves. Now if its to you own members at camp a little razzing may be in order in good taste ;)

• Like 2

Be it a big buck, small buck, big doe, small doe. I will have a buck tag and a doe tag in my pocket this season. First thing that might come by my way and gives me a good shot will get shot at. I make NO bones about it. I hunt to kill something for the freezer, so NOTHING will get passed up. If I want to only LOOK at deer I don't need to buy a hunting license to do that.

Yea what Steve said.......just not on my property! lol

Seriously any deer is a trophy, you pay for the license hunt what you like. Some of the best tasting venison I've had came from yearlings. That is not to say the meat from an old doe or buck isn't good. The little ones well... just taste like veal.

Good comments all.

I remember my first deer after 3 years of hunting. I was just a teen and I shot a button at 87 yards with a shotgun and dropped it. While I am gutting it a guy comes up the trail from down below. He says to me yea he went buy me a bit a go and he was just a little pup so I let him go. No congratz or nothing. In a manner my mom raised me better than after he turned and walked away I flipped him the bird and finished up and dragged him out as happy as can be. Never cared a whole lot about what people I do not know and respect thought. Still don't!! I am always happy for any safe, legal hunter who gets a deer, any deer.

Edited by Fletch
  • Like 1

Any deer taken legally is is a trophy. We get too hung up on this site with other peoples ethics. Don't shoot does, Don't shoot small bucks, You should pass on this and pass on that. Only shoot mature bucks. Do you see where I am going with this? Pretty soon we should shoot nothing at all, remember the license you buy from the DEC is for hunting and you can shoot anything that is legal be it a doe, buck, small or large it's your choice. Depending what DMU you are in, so don't have someone rain on your parade if you shoot a small buck if it's what you want it's your choice period. Good luck hunting to everybody.

Dave, very well said! My first was a doe. She was a trophy to me. I have her hide hanging on my wall and a gun rack made out of her hooves. I'm a meat hunter 100%. Doe or buck don't matter to me. As far as my buck tag, well, if it happens it happens. If not so be it. I'd rather have meat in the freezer than a rack on the wall. God willing, I have plenty of hunting years ahead of me to fill those buck tags.

• Like 1

My first was at 16 years old. A spike horn I dropped at 40 yards. Gutted it myself, local guy came by and congratulated me on the kill and gut job. On my drag out met an old timer. He to gave me the thumbs up and asked if he could retrieve the heart! The next day I went out without a gun tagging along with my friend. We met the old timer that afternoon, he thanked me for the heart and asked "where's you gun son?" I told him remember the deer from yesterday? He looks at me and says "go get another!" My spike horn was a trophy to me and the old timer was priceless!

• Like 1

Dave, i personally agree with what you said and i think you said it well. Thats why i will continue to encourage people to persue whatever it is they desire in the deer woods. If it's just getting your first deer with bow or filling your freezer for yourself and your family then i will be right there saying nice job when you drag that one in. For myself though, i will continue to let the small ones go, shoot does when i can and hunt only mature deer that i can score and put on the wall. And i will encourage everyone who has that as their desire to do the same. Whatever advice or tactics i have learned over the years or by other members on this forum will be given so that they can know the pleasure of reaching a big deer dream.

Dave, i personally agree with what you said and i think you said it well. Thats why i will continue to encourage people to persue whatever it is they desire in the deer woods. If it's just getting your first deer with bow or filling your freezer for yourself and your family then i will be right there saying nice job when you drag that one in. For myself though, i will continue to let the small ones go, shoot does when i can and hunt only mature deer that i can score and put on the wall. And i will encourage everyone who has that as their desire to do the same. Whatever advice or tactics i have learned over the years or by other members on this forum will be given so that they can know the pleasure of reaching a big deer dream.

Dave, I think you have the right attitude you don't look down on people who don't hunt the way you do. Really that's what hunting is all about. They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder I would say the same for deer hunters. We all have our own preferences whether it be big or small bucks and does. It's all our choice in the end. They are truly our own personal trophies even if they are not 160".
  • Like 1

I have to say that me personally dont agree with this entirely. I have never shot a deer with a bow and this year could have shot about 15 of them. I know the deer that are on my property and would like to practice quality deer management. I also try to talk to my surrounding neighbors on getting on board with the same idea. Now there are alot of 4 to 6 point bucks so taking a couple out would be good. I just cringe when I drive down the road and see button bucks and fawn like does hanging from the tree. Those deer are a dime a dozen and can be killed with little effort in my area, so I know its everyones right to go with the " if its brown its down" mentality but where is the sport in that. Well thats just my 2 cents and Im sure I will here it but I bet people would agree with me to. Lets just be safe doing what we love to do.

Well said

I have to say that me personally dont agree with this entirely. I have never shot a deer with a bow and this year could have shot about 15 of them. I know the deer that are on my property and would like to practice quality deer management. I also try to talk to my surrounding neighbors on getting on board with the same idea. Now there are alot of 4 to 6 point bucks so taking a couple out would be good. I just cringe when I drive down the road and see button bucks and fawn like does hanging from the tree. Those deer are a dime a dozen and can be killed with little effort in my area, so I know its everyones right to go with the " if its brown its down" mentality but where is the sport in that. Well thats just my 2 cents and Im sure I will here it but I bet people would agree with me to. Lets just be safe doing what we love to do.

Not everyone has the time, ground or ability to drop something "nice". Anyway like it was already said it may be a trophy to the person who took it.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.