Rut

Suilleabhain

Im pretty sure, in my area, the main chase phase happened the week or week and a half before the southern gun opener. Peak breeding is just wrapping up, then we will see the secondary rut start kicking in. Right now the scrapes are dead and covered by leaves around here for the most part. They may start opening back up again soon.

It is too hot in the Hudson Valley, I think they all went nocturnal, I see signs allover the place just no deer to be seen during the day. I see the does start moving when I leave after legal shooting hours, plus tons of road kills....oh well, we can't control the nature....

Had a good sit this morning here in 7s . The rut is still going stong here. I had a buck running doe this morning. I can't say how big he was because he was chasing doe a hundred yards or so below me in the thick bush. All I saw was flashiests of them moving around and hearing them.This was at 7:30am .I waited ,but they would not come up the hill. About 8:30 am I heard something coming my way. and was hoping it was them ,but it turned out to be a big coon. I am going to have to call my brother to come over because I filled my buck tag on the first day and only have doe tags.

things were popping off pretty good by me in 8W. atleast in my area... i was covered up in bucks and had many encounters of buck chasing doe in the few days i was up there. It all seemed to die down tho by the evening hunt on the second day, by the 3rd day things seemed to change big time.

i missed twice at a beautiful 130 class 8 or 10 who came out on 2 doe, opening morn

Im pretty sure, in my area, the main chase phase happened the week or week and a half before the southern gun opener. Peak breeding is just wrapping up, then we will see the secondary rut start kicking in. Right now the scrapes are dead and covered by leaves around here for the most part. They may start opening back up again soon.

X2

It is too hot in the Hudson Valley, I think they all went nocturnal, I see signs allover the place just no deer to be seen during the day. I see the does start moving when I leave after legal shooting hours, plus tons of road kills....oh well, we can't control the nature....

Catskills, yesterday, I did not see 1 scrape or rub. nothing. last year I didn't see any till december. It's just too warm.

I agree with this... Too warm... I was in a T-shirt today walking through the woods, too damn hot. I was in the Catskills btw, and its a high elevation area, usually 5 degrees cooler then down the mountain.

Deer are not doing anything around here. I only see them once its dark.

• Like 1

What rut? I've yet to see any groups of does, or, for that matter-any bucks with does. I saw 2 bucks, and 1 doe yesterday. They were all by themselves. Trickle rut? So much for Charlie's prediction!

You must be reading Charlies prediction from last year. His prediction for this year put the main chase phase a week to week and a half before the gun opener, and peak breeding right now.

Ive been seeing groups of does, but all at night for the most part. This warm weather has them in their bedding areas, and not moving. If the forecast holds true, all heck is gonna break loose in my area next week. Highs in the 30s and snow a couple of days.

Haven't seen a buck since opening day, so decided to bleat a few goes with the old Primos can. A 4 pt popped out of the woods, to the wheat field and started feeding. At 4;51 ( 4:43 sunset) the thickets started moving. Eleven doe fawns and does surfaced. The little 8 came from 148 yds to my right and walked in front of my stand at bow range. They all fed in the field together with a few fawns running around. At last light, another , what I believe to be a buck came in. and started sparring with the little 8. There's no rutting going on here right now, but within the week, all indications are for it to start back up. You got to be in the right spots right now to see the numbers we are seeing. Seen to be on green grass alot right now for the carbs. Corn always pulls them in here too, but not like the grasses this year.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

Took a neighbor with me this AM. Had to place him which left me with a nearby spot thats so so. He saw 7 deer by 9:00, 2 bucks following does. All i saw was 3 doe.

Last night I had a doe run in hard, soon to have a buck come down same path.

8H btw.

seen a few bucks opening day( shot one). the next day a 6 running 3 doe, shot one of them as well. Had deer moving every day .

Edited by Larry302