Increase hunters this fall?

Swamp_bucks

Do you think with all that's going on will there be an increase in hunters?

I know some people down to work have decided to either start all together and  2 picked up bow hunting.   There's even been people on here that have mentioned taking an extra deer or two.

I think it's great getting hunters number back up but has led me to make a different game plan.  So ill place stands as planned and locked but not leaving any sticks.  I have climbing portable sticks so ill just pack them in and out.  

What have you heard? What's your opinion on it? Will it change the way you hunt?

Edited by Swamp_bucks

Just now, squirrelwhisperer said:

I have no plans on changing anything. I do like the idea of not leaving the sticks tho. This begs the question, what would you do if you show up and some one is in your stand? What if they refuse to leave??

I mark all mine with name back tag number so if it happens I would explain it's mine show them the information.  Since I started locking everything I would probably let them finish their sit and go grab it after dark.  All depends on the attitude the other person has.  I have never had this happen but it could I've had stands stolen.  That's why I'll pull the sticks chances of someone even seeing a stand with sticks is low add not having sticks it will be pretty hard to spot.

• Like 1

I’ve for sure had coworkers ask me how to get a license and where to hunt. I’ve given general answers for the most part but may take one of them hunting if he gets the license.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Won’t change on my land , .... But sure more  have taken the online class then normally take the in person one , and some  who gave it up are , going to go back out and knock down one for the freezer I suspect . 

I’m going to take a doe early ,( I seldom shoot  does ) to can . My goal is to have 100lbs of canned meat ( I have 60 lbs of chicken now ) . 

14 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

I think there will be A lot of Hunters out this Fall. It was Crowded on the Public Land this past Spring as well due to the Chinese Virus and more people off.

Keeping with the original question in the post I would expect we will see more people than ever in the woods but the number of actual  "hunters" decreases every year. "Hunters" has taken on a new meaning to include anyone taking a gun for a walk in the woods. 8)

• Confused 1

33 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

If not-expand on your last Sentence and who you think are just " walking with a Gun in the Woods".8)

All I am saying is buying a license to hunt does not make you a hunter. I know ones that have purchased licenses for years and still don't have a clue what is means to be a "hunter'. A good many of them are out just for something to do, to get out of the house, or just to say they are hunting.

Similar to buying a camera doesn't make someone a photographer. 

Hunters are a funny bunch.  We've been hearing for a good many years now that hunter numbers are dwindling and that we need to bring new hunters to the ranks.  Yet when someone mentions that there may possibly be more hunters in the woods this year everyone is getting nervous.   It's like yeah we need more hunters as long as they stay at least 2 miles away from my spot.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Steve D said:

All I am saying is buying a license to hunt does not make you a hunter. I know ones that have purchased licenses for years and still don't have a clue what is means to be a "hunter'. A good many of them are out just for something to do, to get out of the house, or just to say they are hunting.

Similar to buying a camera doesn't make someone a photographer. 

Technically speaking ,if you are in the woods with a gun or bow with the intentions of harvesting an animal then you are a hunter . Some are really good at it and some are not

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Hunters are a funny bunch.  We've been hearing for a good many years now that hunter numbers are dwindling and that we need to bring new hunters to the ranks.  Yet when someone mentions that there may possibly be more hunters in the woods this year everyone is getting nervous.   It's like yeah we need more hunters as long as they stay at least 2 miles away from my spot.

Won't disagree. I'm glad more people are getting out.  It does change my original plans on placing stands. I personally don't care if someone gets to an area I hunt before me.   I've hunted stateland for so long I'm used to seeing people every now and again.

3 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Technically speaking ,if you are in the woods with a gun or bow with the intentions of harvesting an animal then you are a hunter

I am not very technical  and not to argue  but I would not say you are a hunter but more apt to say you are hunting.

43 minutes ago, Steve D said:

I am not very technical  and not to argue  but I would not say you are a hunter but more apt to say you are hunting.

Everyone is a beginner at some point.

More hunters wont change my approach,i am fully mobile and excited to hunt public. At least during bow season,i doubt i will hunt public land during gun season. 

Edited by BowmanMike