Buying used bows

dbHunterNY

For a while now I've bought uses or new leftover bows for people or shops on the internet. Nothing untouched from the factory for the most part. Saves a ton of money but holy hell do you get some tinkered with bows. Spent hours last night adding and removing twists from strong and cables to get the bow back in spec, cam lean out, and cams timed. Dont have a draw board but thinking about getting one. Would help a lot. Venting over. Lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

For a while now I've bought uses or new leftover bows for people or shops on the internet. Nothing untouched from the factory for the most part. Saves a ton of money but holy hell do you get some tinkered with bows. Spent hours last night adding and removing twists from strong and cables to get the bow back in spec, cam lean out, and cams timed. Dont have a draw board but thinking about getting one. Would help a lot. Venting over. Lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Tons of info. On archery talk on how to make your own draw board.....they are an awesome tool to have.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The cost of new bows is just outrages, I keep waiting for the ceiling to break, but guys are still paying the money. You definitely need to build a draw board, very helpful for that O.C.D tune. We’re the strings and cables new ? I’ve set up a ton of used bows for buddy’s and I won’t bother unless the string and cables are fairly new or new. 

I got lucky with my bow i bought of archery talk. It was in good shape and not too far out of tune. I had to have things changed anyway since it went from 26" draw to 30" draw. And i did have new strings put on just to be sure they are ok. 

I can't see spending $1000 or more on a bow,and i have the archery bug bad. I always think the user is more important than the equipment.

• Like 3

Just now, Jeremy K said:

Now that AT did away with the feedback score I dont see myself buying a used bow for awhile ,I've had such good luck over the years going that route.

Yes,I hope they bring that back. I was a newbie on the site and that feedback feature helped me stay away from a guy with a -1 rating.

• Like 1

I got lucky with my bow i bought of archery talk. It was in good shape and not too far out of tune. I had to have things changed anyway since it went from 26" draw to 30" draw. And i did have new strings put on just to be sure they are ok. 
I can't see spending $1000 or more on a bow,and i have the archery bug bad. I always think the user is more important than the equipment.

I feel if you are going to buy a high end bow, and keep it for years spend the money. Buy once cry once...

I bought a new Matthews halon 3 years ago or so... if I use it for let’s say 5 years that’s about $200 a year to hunt with a bow I love .. 100% worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I hope so. I don't understand why they did away with it in the first place.

I just got burned on AT for the first time, thankfully it's just $50 for broadheads. I'm 5-5 with bows from there though, all great deals. I can't see buying a new bow. Buy a gun they hold their value

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

Some bowhunters have to have a bow with the latest technology and will buy a new bow every couple years . They sell their 2 year old bow for  a reasonable price . Once a new bow is out of the store , it depreciates fast ( like cars ) . The are a lot of good deals out there for 2 year old bows . 

Interesting topic. I bought my Matthews Z7 new the year they came out. Only bow I have. Been shooting it for quite a while. I am almost ready for my third string, maybe next year. Can’t believe I’m saying this...I agree with @Chef (just kidding Chef, lol. I have a feeling we would like each other a lot if we met)

Since I don’t know how to tune a bow, nor do I have the equipment necessary, I bring it to the pro shop. 

I was going down to get little squirrel a new bow today (he doesn’t know yet). Nothing ridiculous, a Diamond RTH for about $350, after tax and half doz arrows, maybe $425. I have a brand new Tru Ball release for him already. 

I went the used bow route for squirrel jr, lil squirrel’s older brother. Got it cheap, got what I paid for. 

Interesting topic. I bought my Matthews Z7 new the year they came out. Only bow I have. Been shooting it for quite a while. I am almost ready for my third string, maybe next year. Can’t believe I’m saying this...I agree with [mention=762]Chef[/mention] (just kidding Chef, lol. I have a feeling we would like each other a lot if we met)
Since I don’t know how to tune a bow, nor do I have the equipment necessary, I bring it to the pro shop. 
I was going down to get little squirrel a new bow today (he doesn’t know yet). Nothing ridiculous, a Diamond RTH for about $350, after tax and half doz arrows, maybe $425. I have a brand new Tru Ball release for him already. 
I went the used bow route for squirrel jr, lil squirrel’s older brother. Got it cheap, got what I paid for. 

Yea man, my halon 6 is my 3rd bow in let’s say 12 years... first was a cheap Parker from Cabela’s... 2nd was a mission from a local shop. Then this one... I loooove my Halon... the sad part is I’m getting the itch for a new bow. I think instead next year I’ll just change it all out... new string, rest, sight, and peep. Have the shop tune it..

And yes we would for sure like each other... my anit Trump posts are half trolling in all honesty

• Haha 1

I feel if you are going to buy a high end bow, and keep it for years spend the money. Buy once cry once...

I bought a new Matthews halon 3 years ago or so... if I use it for let’s say 5 years that’s about $200 a year to hunt with a bow I love .. 100% worth it

You're Shooting a halon? Those are what those gigantic cams were?

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

Just didn't know what it was and how the cams were so gigantic.

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

They are pretty big, most of the newer high end Matthews are... but when tuned properly they are great

• Like 1