My shed hunting trophies...

WNY Bowhunter

I'm sitting here bored out of my mind so I decided to dig out the shed collection. Here's what I've picked up over 4 years of looking (74 sheds, several broken mainbeams). As you can see, this ain't Iowa...lol! Man, I can't wait to get out there in a couple of weeks and start walking around trying to add some more to the count.

IMG_1018.jpg

IMG_1021.jpg

IMG_1019-1.jpg

Would have to be agricultural fields to find that many. I hunt for them in hardwoods because thats all I have access to and I found one fresh 3 point last yr after a ton of hours of walking and looking. And I only found that one because I almost pee'd on it. :D Though I must say I might not be that good at spotting them. Because last yr I went over one spot three times and this yr my Dad shot a doe in the same spot and as were walking up to her there was one lying not far from her that my Dad picked up.

Edited by erussell

I work with a guy who shed hunts. Its really the first contact I have ever had with someone who actually shed hunts, I know people who have stumbled across them, but never gone out solely to find them. I gotta say hes nuts, he spends a ton of time just watching, and studying deer patterns. Nuts in a good way though, he has a ton of good stories, and Im thinking about using some of his scouting tactics to help me during the hunting season. Nice trophys though man, good job!

More than a few extremely dedicated shed hunters in WNY. I know a few of them and they are also very protective of their "hunting" areas, sneaky, competitive & yea, NUTS!!

I've got a handful, most from 25 years ago when I lived in North Amherst. Picked up a beautiful matched pair about 7 years ago in the same area, seems as though one old monarch escaped the police sharpshooters.

It's a fun hobby that can be very rewarding in a few aspects. Good for your knowledge of an area, see a lot of neat things and great for your health!

I'm thinking bacon & eggs right now................

The headgear carried around by these two deer are at the top of my most wanted list for this spring:

I found my biggest/favorite shed to date (68.5") this past March and it belonged to this ancient old bruiser of a buck. He's not much for tinelength but his mass is unbelievable. He was seen alive and well on x-mas morning in the same place he was hanging out last winter...

Narles1jjk.jpg

IMG_0500.jpg

IMG_0501.jpg

The nieghbor kid found the matching side a few days prior...

IMG_053777.jpg

IMG_0539rr.jpg

Then there is this guy. I hunted him all gun season but he never showed himself. I did see him twice while spotlighting during the first week of December so I'm certain that he made it through season. I found one of his sheds back in March too. He really grew from 3.5 to 4.5 and should be a monster this year...

PICT0096-1rr.jpg

PICT0042-1-1.jpg

IMG_0699.jpg

Edited by WNY Bowhunter

Awesome sheds guys!!! Last year was the first year i really got into shed hunting and i found 22. I went out today after the morning hunt since i had a buck with both sides missing come under my stand this morning but i didnt find any. Here is my collection from last year.

Total1.jpg

John

I'm sitting here bored out of my mind so I decided to dig out the shed collection. Here's what I've picked up over 4 years of looking (74 sheds, several broken mainbeams). As you can see, this ain't Iowa...lol! Man, I can't wait to get out there in a couple of weeks and start walking around trying to add some more to the count.

IMG_1018.jpg

IMG_1021.jpg

IMG_1019-1.jpg

WOW!! Cool collection. No wonder some of you guys say the deer herd is doing well. I do not think I could find that many in my lifetime up here (esp. that big).