At what point do you feel something......

First-light

The experience is different for everyone. Regret and remorse are negative emotions by your standards, not mine. I do not regret killing enough to stop hunting, I do however feel sadness for the animals I kill. It doesn't ruin my hunting experience, it is just a part of the emotions I feel after being successful. I do not enjoy killing, it is simply part of what we do.

I'm with you Skillet. The day I stop feeling compassion is the day I should no longer be allowed to go hunting.

I have compassion and respect for any animal I kill, but I do not feel remorse or regret for killing them. If I did, I wouldnt hunt. I love watching, hunting and interacting with deer, but I dont feel the least bit bad killing them. Now I do feel bad if I wound a deer, and it doesnt die quickly, but that feeling goes away as soon as I finish it off. Once the deer is down, I dont pray to or for it or tell it im sorry, I get the animal dressed out and begin getting the work done that comes with taking an animal.

Im a big softy when it comes to alot of things, but hunting is not one of them.

• Like 2

I have compassion and respect for any animal I kill, but I do not feel remorse or regret for killing them. If I did, I wouldnt hunt. I love watching, hunting and interacting with deer, but I dont feel the least bit bad killing them. Now I do feel bad if I wound a deer, and it doesnt die quickly, but that feeling goes away as soon as I finish it off. Once the deer is down, I dont pray to or for it or tell it im sorry, I get the animal dressed out and begin getting the work done that comes with taking an animal.

I agree 100% and especially about being a big softie on lots of things but not hunting.

These are exactly my feelings on the matter too. I am a predator to my core and when I release that arrow or send a bullet on its way my intentions are for a deer to die by my hand. It's a very natural act to me, no different than any other animal be it a coyote, a wolf or a cougar hunting for its food.

Nicely said

I like this much better and can fully respect someone for how it effects them.

I can't respect being told someone needs help for not feeling the same way.

Understood, that was kind of harsh what I said. I didn't meant to offend anyone. I apologize.

The silence that falls over the woods after a kill can be deafening sometimes if we don't fill it with a replacement.

I've always noticed the same silence, and then within a few minutes, it's like I'm hyper-sensitive to any and all sounds in the woods. I think that helps to build an appreciation of what nature has to offer me.

Very well said; For me, I don't pray to or for it or tell it I'm sorry; but I will say "Thank-you".. for the experience of the hunt, and for the opportunity to provide for my family.

In a way I allways put the presure back on the deer I just killed. I say to it, sometimes out load...why did you have to walk this way, if you would have went the other way you wouldn't be laying in fornt of me. In some small way that makes feel better about taking it's life.

Animal Emotions

Do animals think and feel?

by Marc Bekoff

Stalking, Hunting, Stress, and Emotion

Stalking is very stressful to animals

Stalking is very stressful to animals

Published on July 6, 2009 by Marc Bekoff in Animal Emotions

Let's face it, "gone huntin'" and "gone fishin'" usually mean "gone killin'." But death is often a blessing, a relief from the pain and suffering of being stalked, crippled or mutilated, and dying agonizingly slowly.

Hunting and fishing get millions of people "out in nature" and may provide quality time with family and friends. According to Mark Duda and his colleagues (in Wildlife and the American Mind) "To a large extent, hunting represents the embodiment of family values." There's also an emotional component (often reported as erotic) indicated by elevated heart rate, that's unique to the human predator-prey encounter. This excitement might also serve as a strong motivator - stalking and hunting are arousing and enjoyable.

Occasionally, hunters stalk but don't shoot animals, or anglers catch fish and toss them back, weak and injured, with mutilated mouths. They're proud for not killing the animals. Nonetheless, many animals, including fish, experience significant pain and suffering. The stress responses of fish that lead to anxiety and fear closely mimic those of other vertebrates, including humans. And while it's not known how many fish die after being caught and tossed, about five to ten percent of trout die from the stress of merely being handled.

What's it like to be stalked? Even if people stalk animals but don't try to kill them, animals suffer greatly. Just seeing a potential predator is stressful. Patrick Bateson, at the University of Cambridge in England, found red deer stalked by dogs showed stress responses similar to those experienced when animals were anxious and scared. Deer showed high levels of cortisol and the breakdown of red blood cells, indicating extreme physiological and psychological stress. Stalked deer also displayed excessive fatigue and damaged muscles. Non-stalked deer and those shot without prolonged stalking didn't show similar stress responses.

Clearly, animals don't like the emotional distress, anxiety, and fear of being stalked and neither do humans (www.antistalking.com). Stalked animals may also spend less time feeding, resting, and protecting young. More studies are needed concerning stress responses associated with eco-touring and photographing animals, activities supposedly morally superior to hunting. The stalker's intentions, malevolent or not, seem unimportant. It's reasonable to believe that animals will show fear and anxiety responses to human stalkers that are similar to those shown to non-humans stalkers.

Hunting and fishing are sanctioned assaults on numerous animals' lives. Huge industries are devoted to making them easier. In many states wildlife agencies spend more money promoting hunting and fishing, including killing predators to enhance hunting opportunities, than on protecting wildlife, including imperiled or endangered species.

Some who hunt and fish truly enjoy the richness of the experience, but they don't want to make animals suffer. Perhaps if they fully realized the intense pain and suffering for which they're responsible while stalking, they'd forego the emotional rush of the experience. And, there are lots of ways to experience nature and have quality time with family and friends without intruding on, and stressing, injuring, or killing, other animals.

Published on July 6, 2009 by Marc Bekoff in Animal Emotions

Let's face it, "gone huntin'" and "gone fishin'" usually mean "gone killin'." But death is often a blessing, a relief from the pain and suffering of being stalked, crippled or mutilated, and dying agonizingly slowly.

Hunting and fishing get millions of people "out in nature" and may provide quality time with family and friends. According to Mark Duda and his colleagues (in Wildlife and the American Mind) "To a large extent, hunting represents the embodiment of family values." There's also an emotional component (often reported as erotic) indicated by elevated heart rate, that's unique to the human predator-prey encounter. This excitement might also serve as a strong motivator - stalking and hunting are arousing and enjoyable.

Occasionally, hunters stalk but don't shoot animals, or anglers catch fish and toss them back, weak and injured, with mutilated mouths. They're proud for not killing the animals. Nonetheless, many animals, including fish, experience significant pain and suffering. The stress responses of fish that lead to anxiety and fear closely mimic those of other vertebrates, including humans. And while it's not known how many fish die after being caught and tossed, about five to ten percent of trout die from the stress of merely being handled.

What's it like to be stalked? Even if people stalk animals but don't try to kill them, animals suffer greatly. Just seeing a potential predator is stressful. Patrick Bateson, at the University of Cambridge in England, found red deer stalked by dogs showed stress responses similar to those experienced when animals were anxious and scared. Deer showed high levels of cortisol and the breakdown of red blood cells, indicating extreme physiological and psychological stress. Stalked deer also displayed excessive fatigue and damaged muscles. Non-stalked deer and those shot without prolonged stalking didn't show similar stress responses.

Clearly, animals don't like the emotional distress, anxiety, and fear of being stalked and neither do humans (www.antistalking.com). Stalked animals may also spend less time feeding, resting, and protecting young. More studies are needed concerning stress responses associated with eco-touring and photographing animals, activities supposedly morally superior to hunting. The stalker's intentions, malevolent or not, seem unimportant. It's reasonable to believe that animals will show fear and anxiety responses to human stalkers that are similar to those shown to non-humans stalkers.

Hunting and fishing are sanctioned assaults on numerous animals' lives. Huge industries are devoted to making them easier. In many states wildlife agencies spend more money promoting hunting and fishing, including killing predators to enhance hunting opportunities, than on protecting wildlife, including imperiled or endangered species.

Some who hunt and fish truly enjoy the richness of the experience, but they don't want to make animals suffer. Perhaps if they fully realized the intense pain and suffering for which they're responsible while stalking, they'd forego the emotional rush of the experience. And, there are lots of ways to experience nature and have quality time with family and friends without intruding on, and stressing, injuring, or killing, other animals.

Animal Emotions

Do animals think and feel?

by Marc Bekoff

Stalking, Hunting, Stress, and Emotion

There is one thing we all have in common, regardless of how we feel emotionally about taking the life of animals we hunt. Some it bothers, some it doesn't but we all pull the trigger. We are all hunter predators just some have more feelings than others. Not good or bad we are all wired different, but all hunters in the end.

They are beautiful animals but as with everything they will die one day, by nature or man. Man's methods for the most part as more humane than say a coyotes.

I also figure that the deer I kill suffers much less than the cow did that I would be eating in its place had I not gotten the deer. I only take clean shots also, I am not one of those hunters that shoots at a patch of fur through the branches and hopes he got him.

I still feel a bit of guilt killing them and a little more so for the doe's.

Edited by wooffer

I don't mean to spoil your profound and thoughtful conversation but I can't stop thinking about a journalist asking a Marine sniper what did he feel after killing an enemy and the Grunt goes: "...a recoil..." LOL

Yup. While I do respect the animals, that's certainly my viewpoint on it.

Lol ...... Apparently some are interpreting some of these reactions as being a hunter throwing himself across the body of the animal, sobbing and looking to the heavens and asking forgiveness for the evil deed we just have done. Yeah, I guess if I had that reaction, my hunting days would end right there...... :D . But I kind of doubt that that is anywhere near the emotional reaction that anybody has described in this thread. I like others here have periodically felt that little twinge of compassion or sympathy or whatever you want to call it. It really was not a traumatic, depressing, feeling, but rather just a passing, momentary recognition that I had just ended a life of an animal that I have quite a bit of respect for. It's no biggie, and hardly threatens my future of hunting.

• Like 1

I have felt emotion after taking a deer. or any animal, i guess. I can look back at different times since I was 8 and first walking into the woods deer hunting with my father. I remember the first deer i ever saw shot that year and it was a doe. Dad had taken a fast walking broadside shot and hit her across the front of the chest. It took her front feet out from under her and she was pushing her chest like a sled across the snow and giving out a hair raising blat. I didn't go back out again that season. I guess that was the 8 yo reaction. That one made me very sad and question my interest in hunting. Dad didn't force me but I was back at it with him the next year

After taking a lot of deer over 30 years of hunting I don't feel remorse or guilt. I feel something but until this thread never really tried to find a word to describe it. I guess it is more a feeling of reflection. a feeling of thankfulness that i was successful and able to do something I love. For me the intensity of these feelings vary by situation as well. With a group hunting I don't think it is as strong. But If I am out bowhunting by myself and have no one around from the hunt to the drag it seems to strike me stronger.