Bag, Block or 3D target?

Forest Hunter

What do you use and why?

I will voice my opinions on each of them.

What i like about is a bag is it is easier to pull the arrows out but they are heavy as sin.

I love blocks since they are a pretty solid target but they are a pretty penny.

I like 3D targets since they let your imagination run wild when practicing but they really like to let your arrows get STUCK in there good.

What do you guys think, what do you use and why?

For field tip general spot practice I like my bag. Very durrable and exceptional life expectancy with field tips. Broadheads a no-no!

Hard to beat a 3-d target for realism, practicing angles, and unmarked kill zones just like the real deal. Feels good to let the broadheads fly on them before season too.

I've never owned a block.

I like the Monster bag targets . The arrows don't penetrate them . I look for corrugated that the bag will fit in so the arrows don't droop after shooting a couple . I periodically put a couple new pieces of corrugated between the box and the front of the bag . I have one of the Monster bags outside and another in the basement .

I am down in SC at the sand dune archers they have the best practice area. They have 4 ft by 4 ft bag target, they make they with carpet. they have a form of 2 x 4, then put a pice of carpet in the back side screw it in, then put on the fron a carpet piece and only screw it on for about 8 inches, then fill it in with plastic bags, thnescrew in another 8 inchs and fill, then keep doing till the total is filled all the way to the top...

they use both plastic bags they get from Walmart and also old shirts, pants, blankets...anything in the cloth line...the plastic bags seem to be the best bet as they never hold water and up north that would freeze in the winter,,,,,

I like Bag targets for all around use. I like the giant Block targets later in the summer, I can put small dots on the block anywhere and focus on the spot. 3D are pprobably the most realistic to hunting practice though. Anyone that has ever shot a Animal Field round paper target can attest to shooting a 2D target vs a 3D target are not the same thing.

Um, yes. All please.

Once the bow is dialed in, my hunting bow no longer sees a bag or block target. Shooting at a 3-d target has immensley helpd with my shooting. Heck, I don't even shoot field points with it...only practice broadheads.

I will take a small bock target when traveling out of state (portability reasons). I do have a nice bag, and they'll last forever when kept off the ground so it can swing. I'll use the bag if I feel froggy and want to launch some long distance arrows (60+).

But, for hunting purposes, I'm never looking back after going the 3-d route.

I have a Rhinehart 3D buck target... arrows pull out easy and it lasts foreever... its kinda like those self sealing dartboards.. the only thing that matters to me when shooting my bow is being able to hit the kill zone on a whitetail when the time comes... I want to practice on the most realistic object as possible to a whitetail deer... the block targets and such might be great for sighting in... but nothing takes the place of shooting at a 3D target of the animal you're hunting in my opinion...

• Like 1

i use the huge blocks of foam that are placed along most race tracks. i live with in 20 minutes of a track and stop up there once a year and get permission to take a couple of blocks.they are usually 4'x5' and 3 plus feet thick. they work really well you can move your targets all over the block flip it spin is shoot all the sides. me and my friends shoot 1000s of rounds each into them every year and when im done with it i pass it down to a friend or some one and go get another couple.

I use the blocks from around the race track also,they work really well. I cut them about 12" thick. I also use card board boxes stuffed with plastic & the wrapping that is used to warp material / shipping skids with. I stuff them full close them up & wrap them with the same wrap. They last forever & are water proof. Another tip is take your 3-d targets wrap them with the wrap & repair them by poking holes in various spots squirting great stuff in the bad spots works great & you get another 2 -3 yrs. out of them.

Imo 3-D improves accuracy & shot confidence.

Most 3-D are pricey but have replacable cores. I still use a box for some basic shooting & broadhead tests.

edit- I also bought one of those arrow puller deals from Dick's.

Edited by Fantail

I don't know whether they have improved those 3-D deer targets any over the years. Mine is over a decade old. But I remember when I first shot an arrow into it, I thought I was going to have to destroy the arrow to get it back out. That stuff just put a death-hold on the arrows. I had to lay the damned thing down on the ground and stand on it to pull those first bunch of arrows out. It wasn't until I got the kill zone softened up pretty good that I was able to easily remove arrows.

The other thing about the 3-D targets is that basically you have one aiming spot unless you get goofy and start shooting the head or butt or guts. So if you are shooting multiple arrows, you run the risk of constant damage.

I built a 4' x 4' corrugated cardboard, compressible butt that even now after more than 20 years still stops arrows. It has one soft spot that I probably could rebuild, but I hang a bag target in front of it now. 4 separate aiming spots keeps arrow disasters from occurring.

For broadhead tuning and sighting in, I buy one of those cheapy styrofoam targets about every other year.

I have a bag target that I use for shooting spots with field points, and I have a 3D target (which needs replaced this year) that I stick round stickers on for broadheads. I also shoot 3D and some very large bag targets at the local pro shop. After I get my bow tuned and sighted in, I never shoot groups, only spots or single shots at the 3D target. I dont like replacing arrows.

Last year I wanted to get my broadheads tuned in and so I shot a group of 3 at a 3D target like a dummy. I shaved fletchings off of 1 or 2 of the arrows. I was pretty upset at myself for doing that.

I have a bag target that I use for shooting spots with field points, and I have a 3D target (which needs replaced this year) that I stick round stickers on for broadheads. I also shoot 3D and some very large bag targets at the local pro shop. After I get my bow tuned and sighted in, I never shoot groups, only spots or single shots at the 3D target. I dont like replacing arrows.

Last year I wanted to get my broadheads tuned in and so I shot a group of 3 at a 3D target like a dummy. I shaved fletchings off of 1 or 2 of the arrows. I was pretty upset at myself for doing that.

Did the same thing...first three arrows into my 3d target at 40 yards from my treestand no less. Was wanting to dial in the last pin maybe a hair and also to see the grouping at that range. Lost two fletchings and all three practice broadheads were toast....that was a $30 mistake. Of course, it was probably also the best group I'd shot all practice season up to that point, even from the ground.

Edited by phade

Any one else ever loose inserts in a target like I used to with the Block? Man that ticked me off when that happened.

Ive had a couple go into my 3D target and hit the part of the plastic leg that goes up into the foam body before (its not far from the vital area on that target). The 3D target has a couple of field points and 1 field point and insert still in there. I actually think there might be one of my buddy's broadheads in there too. You cant get the front leg of the target out because of those points in there lol.

Ive had a couple go into my 3D target and hit the part of the plastic leg that goes up into the foam body before (its not far from the vital area on that target). The 3D target has a couple of field points and 1 field point and insert still in there. I actually think there might be one of my buddy's broadheads in there too. You cant get the front leg of the target out because of those points in there lol.

Thats why I took to the Block with a big chef's knife when I was done, got all my spare parts back..haha

I do need to find a better glue for the carbon arrows so it doesn't happen any more.