Anyone interested in silencers for rifles and shotguns?

Deerthug

Silencers and Suppressors in NYS  

24 members have voted

1. 1. If suppressors or silencers were allowed in NYS to hunt with would you use one?

Interesting article - a senator from Georgia is proposing a law allowing hunters to use silencers or suppressors when hunting. On the one hand I'm all for saving my hearing but on the other hand not being able to hear a shot from a hunter who may be 100 - 150 yards away from you in the woods could lead to a whole new ballgame. Read on . . .

http://www.gainesvil.../article/62574/

I think most opinions that people form about silencers come from the movies where you cant hear that pistol shot from 20 feet away. Thats not what a silencer does. Its the difference between wanting hearing protection and not needing it while you are shooting. Youd still hear the shot 100 yards away, it wouldnt be quite as loud though.There are states that already allow it.

I have shot silenced weapons. There are actually 2 sounds. the report of the gun (which can be reduced ,surpressed with a silencer) and the actual sound of the bullet breaking the sound barrier (which can not be controlled by a silencer).

The most efectively silenced weapons are the ones that fire a round below the speed of sound. around 1,100 ft/sec.

i cant see a suppressor really making a shot gun all that quiet anyways. on 9mm it still has a decent bang could you imagine a 12g? lol

Supposedly they do ok on shotguns. I think it was last year on that show Sons Of Guns where they suppressed a shotgun. I don't remember what gauge it was, but it was a Saiga. From what they said, it just brought the sound down to where you didn't need hearing protection.

where we hunt in the UK it is REQUIRED by law to use supressors, in most places in europe where I've hunted or shot, all shooting ranges or clubs are near residential areas it is also required by law to supress the guns noises. a few places down under too.

They are always baffled when they learn that we make no effort to curb noise in the USA, harley soft tails and ported handguns, boom boxes and ghetto blasters, we like ear ringing noise in the USA. lol.

Supposedly they do ok on shotguns. I think it was last year on that show Sons Of Guns where they suppressed a shotgun. I don't remember what gauge it was, but it was a Saiga. From what they said, it just brought the sound down to where you didn't need hearing protection.

thats what i figured